DOT lunch break Taking 30 minutes in the first 8 hours.

upser1978

At our center they are making us still take 30 minutes of our lunch even though the DOT law didn't pass for package drivers. Is anyone at any other centers still having to do this.
?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the Central Region it should be irrelevant, as the contract requires us to take a half hour lunch between the third and sixth hour.
For some reason though, management in my building thinks they have the right to give permission to not abide by this article.
I strongly disagree.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They were enforcing the 30 minutes for a few weeks in my Center, but it was thrown in court for package drivers from my understanding. I still take my whole hour, I just like to break it up into four different breaks throughout my day. I don't have any restaurants on my area, I don't really like sitting still in my package car doing nothing.

The new directive applies to all UPS hourly employees.
It only applies to long haul drivers. Package drivers that drive under 100 miles to their delivery areas from Their hubs do not apply to this rule. But if they are making drivers do this it's on them when drivers are out late and have to take a 30 min break (paid).

It only applies to long haul drivers. Package drivers that drive under 100 miles to their delivery areas from Their hubs do not apply to this rule. But if they are making drivers do this it's on them when drivers are out late and have to take a 30 min break (paid).

Every driver deserves to take a lunch everyday......regardless !

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Take mine right in the middle of my day. Most of my building has gone back to taking it at the end of the day. Or.,plain skipping it.

Scratch, there isn't a truck stop or a diner out there? I have to get off that thing. Sitting in it would drive me bonkers

C

chuchu

The new directive applies to all UPS hourly employees.
Another brilliant statement. All hourly employees of ups aren't governed by the DOT.
That rule was reversed in a ruling this summer using FedEx package delivery drivers as the example.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about and the law is federal so it exempts all of us pkg car drivers.

oldngray

nowhere special
Another brilliant statement. All hourly employees of ups aren't governed by the DOT.
That rule was reversed in a ruling this summer using FedEx package delivery drivers as the example.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about and the law is federal so it exempts all of us pkg car drivers.

Not the federal law but its in the contract in some areas that you must take a 30 min lunch between the 3rd and 6th hours so those people are not exempt from taking a lunch. If you try to skip lunch you are violating contract so UPS can give you a warning letter (because they don't want the union complaining).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I take it all every day. Until after thanksgiving. From thanksgiving to Xmas I will take my ten paid and that's it. It's a special time of year and we all try to go a little above and beyond.

C

chuchu

Not the federal law but its in the contract in some areas that you must take a 30 min lunch between the 3rd and 6th hours so those people are not exempt from taking a lunch. If you try to skip lunch you are violating contract so UPS can give you a warning letter (because they don't want the union complaining).
I agree wholeheartedly but has nothing to do with USNY post.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They were enforcing the 30 minutes for a few weeks in my Center, but it was thrown in court for package drivers from my understanding. I still take my whole hour, I just like to break it up into four different breaks throughout my day. I don't have any restaurants on my area, I don't really like sitting still in my package car doing nothing.

Not a candidate for management then! :wink2:

C

chuchu

The DOT mandated lunch issue was decided in the US Court of Appeals in DC on Aug 2, 2013 case number 12-1092.

It was argued in March of 2013 by the American Truckers Association and the August decision removed the infraction for us package car drivers thus removing the fine to the driver and the company.

Taking the 30 min off duty time between the third and sixth hour would make it a non-issue anyway. There are too many of us in our region breaking that contract language rule.