DOT Physical

TheKid99

I told the HR lady that I have a DOT card because I had an exam for FedEx

She said I need to have a UPS DOT physical

That does not make any sense... what is the difference? A DOT card is a DOT card

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Our cards say UPS on them
UPS has us go to an occupational health type place here and we are to request a "dot physical without drug test" My DOT card does not have anything about UPS on it and some guys at work had their family doctor do the physical and fill out the DOT card paperwork UPS gave them.

and a near corpse can get one.
It's getting a lot harder. Last year when I went they had all new guidelines. If your body mass is over a certain percentage they will measure your neck, ask you a million questions and you better not say that you snore or have any trouble sleeping.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
you better not say that you snore or have any trouble sleeping.

If you do you'll be forced to wear a pilots mask when you sleep.

pilot.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
What is your plan of attack?
Well, first things first. Making an appointment with my family doctor. My hope is that it can be controlled with diet and exercise. I've actually made a pretty steady habit of hitting the gym 5 to 6 times a week. My secret hope was to do that and be able not change my eating habits. Didn't happen. But since they do call high blood pressure a "silent killer", I'm ready to have an expert guide me. I just want it to be comprehensive. I don't want my blood pressure to be normal and have all kinds of other warning signs going off (weight, cholesterol, etc.). I have 90 days to bring the blood pressure down, but I'm looking forward to more significant changes surrounding those numbers.

KzooUPSer

Once you go Brown...
Lower your sodium intake, it helps a lot with BP. Also, whenever I went to the Dr I tended to measure a little high on my BP, and they were starting to get concerned. One day when I had an appt, by happenstance, I measured my BP at a kiosk at Wal Mart or something like it.. It came back very healthy. interested, I tested it again at a different kiosk at another location, just to make sure it wasn't a faulty test. The results again were very healthy.

Later that same day when I went to the Dr my BP was sky high for someone my age, something like 180/130.. I told the Dr about my experiences with the other tests and we came to the conclusion that I was having some level of anxiety going to my appointments, and this was making my BP skyrocket. He tested my BP again at the end of the appt (About an hour of sitting in the exam room later), and the results were back down in a very healthy range, around 100/60.

Explore this possibility if you think you may be experiencing some anxiety or stress during your appointments. Pain can spike your BP as well.

bbsam

Staff member
I am curious to see what my blood pressure is at my family doctor's office. I know I've stressed about it because I didn't know what would happen if I failed the physical. Now the anxiety is pretty much gone. I have three months, a doctor's guidance and a starting blood pressure of 143/94. Should be doable.

BrownArmy

Get your new one on UPS' dime...here they pay you two hours for the exam, but they'll give you about ten minutes to get it done...lulz

I am curious to see what my blood pressure is at my family doctor's office. I know I've stressed about it because I didn't know what would happen if I failed the physical. Now the anxiety is pretty much gone. I have three months, a doctor's guidance and a starting blood pressure of 143/94. Should be doable.
Maybe quit posting so much and give you drivers a hand!
Work those pounds off!:balloon: