DOT Physical

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have white coat syndrome. It's high during my DOT physical but fine when I go to my regular Doc. My Doc sent a letter to the DOT Doc and got me a 2 year card.

brownrod

my blood pressure spikes sometimes due to anxiety. my regular doctor figured this out when I had a 96/70 then a 140/9x within a few days of each other. He asked me a bunch of questions then diagnosed "situational anxiety." if the BP is high at the beginning of the appointment they just take it later and it's a lot lower.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I started taking blood pressure meds about 30 years ago. That means a physical every year. A couple of years ago I got a 90 day card. You can only get ONE of those in your career. Took my physical, it was high. not by much, but they don't cut you any slack. The company doctor took it several times. Told me I failed my DOT. suspended me on the spot. I told him I had 2 weeks before my card expired. He said doesn't matter. I called in, told management what happened. moved vacations. Went to my personal doctor. She told me I was bringing it on myself. She gave me 3 or 4 sample packs of happy pills (Lexapro) Took them before my physical, and I was fine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I made the mistake of drinking two cups of coffee before going to my last DOT physical. The top number on my BP was 139. Thankfully the nurse agreed to re-take my BP at the end of the physical and it was well within the normal range.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think the easiest way to lower your BP is reduce sodium intake. Its amazing how much difference salt can make if you are borderline on high.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
if you don't mind my asking, do they prescribe meds specifically to get the pressure at 120/80?
Your doc will start you on one type of entry level med at a low dose then increase the dose or type of med until you are under control. I've lost a bunch of weight so my bp is probably too low on these meds now, or maybe not cuz my wife is a witch.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck