down economy and helpers

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
I am wondering if they will be using helpers as much as they have in the past. In the last two years I probably had around 45 hours per week during peak. Just wondering if it will be worth it to take off from my second job for that time or not. Let me know what you think. Thanks

drewed

Shankman
my understanding is theyre hiring little to no peak drivers and using more helpers....but thats just the way things are in my neck of the woods

pkg-king

I would say with the price of fuel they will try and use more helpers than they ever have, the pkges per truck the better.

sendagain

Back in the eighties, I had a supervisor and a manager take some splits off my truck to train a few helpers with. They met me with the paperwork without a single send again and handed me the sheets to put on my timecard. That's they way it was done in the old days.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
from what i heard almost all ft sups will be out delivering this season....

Perhaps they figure it will be cheaper to pay the grievances and save expense of extra fuel and vehicle rental.

I dont mind when sups work during peak. I just document it and file on it. EZ money!!

drewed

Shankman
Perhaps they figure it will be cheaper to pay the grievances and save expense of extra fuel and vehicle rental.

I dont mind when sups work during peak. I just document it and file on it. EZ money!!

i havent heard of any grievances come out of this.
idk i guess our building has the lets do it as a team lets get it done and move on type mentality

outamyway

It won't matter here with the ***********BA we have in the seat right now. That piece of :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: sold out long ago.

Is it considered an act of God when the uppers don't hire enough people to do the job right? I'm sure it will be considered this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

idk i guess our building has the lets do it as a team lets get it done and move on type mentality

I'm fine with a mentality like that. The problem starts when you have sups delivering packages for 12 hours while PT employees are only getting three or four. The geniuses from IE mandate how many routes will be dispatched, a number that is usually totally inadequate for getting the work done, and then the sups are forced to bridge the gap. The contract language is very clear on this issue and there is no reason why an hourly shouldnt get paid for the work. Christmas happens every year on December 25th and it isnt an emergency or an act of God.

drewed

Shankman
I'm fine with a mentality like that. The problem starts when you have sups delivering packages for 12 hours while PT employees are only getting three or four. The geniuses from IE mandate how many routes will be dispatched, a number that is usually totally inadequate for getting the work done, and then the sups are forced to bridge the gap. The contract language is very clear on this issue and there is no reason why an hourly shouldnt get paid for the work. Christmas happens every year on December 25th and it isnt an emergency or an act of God.

I hear ya... but its not that they plan on dispatching normally the sups go out at the same time and run the NDA and EAMS out

soberups

I hear ya... but its not that they plan on dispatching normally the sups go out at the same time and run the NDA and EAMS out

Its still our work. The company entered into a contract. They should honor it.

Would the company cut a driver some slack if he "cheated" and delivered his NDA or EAMS late? Or if he falsified his records to hide late deliveries? No, the company wouldnt cut any of us any slack, they would hold us to the language of the contract and either suspend or fire us....so I feel we have every right to hold them to the language of that same contract when it comes to protecting our work.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Drewed, The reality is we aren't on the same team as management the other 11 months of the year when we're getting pounded on with sporh and 10 point commentaries and reciting the 8 keys to the 5 steps etc. etc. But you think we should all "work together" in December. :surprised:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Maybe the company could use some IE people to come out and deliver or work as helpers. It's impossible to find any in our area and most just don't show up whenever they don't want to work. I think using IE personnel would be the best idea ever, they could actually see the mess they create.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We somehow get the mess done everyday, that's why nothing changes. We need a national shut it down at six oclock day and let these clowns know we are sick of them running this company into the ground. Mgmnt can't fix the problem, Mgmnt. is the problem.

Work right slow and safe

Very nice that is very true all the drivers in my center are all ways fighting with the suppervisor about how much work they have and the supperviser will ask did you get it all done and the replay is always YES:biting: so if the work gets done then you dont need any help!!! we all let them do this to us we all need to stand strong for more help when we realy need it

sx2700

Banned
We somehow get the mess done everyday, that's why nothing changes. We need a national shut it down at six oclock day and let these clowns know we are sick of them running this company into the ground. Mgmnt can't fix the problem, Mgmnt. is the problem.

I'm on board any time, any day.

BigBrownSanta

Peak day, Christmas 2008 sounds good to me.