down economy and helpers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What makes a good driver helper?
I just started working as a preloader. We were told that they always have trouble getting driver helpers. Pay aside, I think it could be good experiance for when I become a driver.
What did the best driver helper you ever had do that the others did not?

His name was Tony and he set himself apart by showing up on time, ready to work and gave me 110% for the 3-4 hours that he rode with me. He also knew the DIAD which is invaluable. His hard work earned him a preload position and made my peak manageable.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Best ones I've had are the ones that work but don't talk. Nothing worse than someone babbling all day long when you are used to working alone.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What makes a good driver helper?
I just started working as a preloader. We were told that they always have trouble getting driver helpers. Pay aside, I think it could be good experiance for when I become a driver.
What did the best driver helper you ever had do that the others did not?

The same skills you develop as a preloader will be invaluable if you also work as a helper. Preloaders always make the best helpers because they are used to the UPS "pace", and they are accustomed to grabbing the package, reading the label and doing something with it NOW. Off the street hires typically get overwhelmed and go into brain lock, and you have to tell them to do every little thing. A preloader wont have a meltdown in the middle of a blown out package car because they are already used to being in one.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
I can't seem to find it, but did they change the rate for drivers helpers in the new contract? I thought I read somewhere that is $12.50 an hour to be a driver helper this peak season.

The posted rate at my building was $12.33.

must be nice to get that kinda change to driver help. i asked my hr guy this a.m. and he said our rate for inside workers was still 9.50/hour and 8.50/hour for outside help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

is there a way to be a driver helper a year around position or is it just peak season?

UPS would love to have this option available to them. Can you imagine how much cheaper it would be to have 1/2 of the drivers and give each one of them a helper year round? Of course, sending drivers out with 300-400 stops on a daily basis would quickly grow old.

evilleace

Here in 710 the rate for helpers is 80% of the driver start rate which 12.88 an hr. or if your pay is already greater you get paid that but it cannot exceed $14.00 an hr.