Downsizing My Life

vantexan

In an effort to keep pace with our slow pay progression I just bought a bicycle. I live 3 miles from work but my pickup drinks so much gas had to do something. Next up is giving up satellite tv. I already get full cable living in a RV park but kept the Dish just for movie channels. Most of it's junk so trading it for Netflix. Got a Net10 cellphone that costs me $25 for 750 minutes that must be used in 30 days. I rarely use more than 500 minutes a month so the phone is cheap. And gave myself a take-home raise this year by going with a $1000 deductible and no monthly premium on the healthcare. Finally have a doctor's appointment so will still spend much of the savings so far. Working for FedEx means learning to do without. Next up is to move to a lower cost area and at this point willing to live in a remote town as long as it's cheap. Anyone else doing likewise?

Mr Shifter

I've started a vegitable garden. This year will stink since I'm still finishing it but seeds are dirt cheap and I have some ready for next year.

northeast swing driver

In an effort to keep pace with our slow pay progression I just bought a bicycle. I live 3 miles from work but my pickup drinks so much gas had to do something. Next up is giving up satellite tv. I already get full cable living in a RV park but kept the Dish just for movie channels. Most of it's junk so trading it for Netflix. Got a Net10 cellphone that costs me $25 for 750 minutes that must be used in 30 days. I rarely use more than 500 minutes a month so the phone is cheap. And gave myself a take-home raise this year by going with a $1000 deductible and no monthly premium on the healthcare. Finally have a doctor's appointment so will still spend much of the savings so far. Working for FedEx means learning to do without. Next up is to move to a lower cost area and at this point willing to live in a remote town as long as it's cheap. Anyone else doing likewise?

solid moves

i'm going to start researching local homeless shelters in my area

klein

Für Meno :)
I've done it. Got rid of extra cable channels ($20 savings), down to the basic, got rid of unlimited long distance ($20 savings), got rid of cell phone (another $20-$25 savings).
Also ordered a nice new Mongoose bike for my smaller runs to the stores and for keeping physically active.
Saving more money on groceries, and keep the heat setting pretty low in my place. (it's totally off during my working hrs - has a timer).

I think that's about it, but I also did go to Goodwill and got a very nice suit, ties and shoes new (hardly used items) . Large savings there !

klein

Für Meno :)
I've started a vegitable garden. This year will stink since I'm still finishing it but seeds are dirt cheap and I have some ready for next year.

radisches will show are ready in 3 weeks, tomotos probaly 4-5 weeks. You got plenty of time. Even peas only take 6 weeks max.

TUT

Yep this is happening country-wide. If companies don't want to hire us or pay us, then the products they sell, won't. It's the circle of economic life. Trying to get back at the small guy will only bring them down to. Take care of the little guy and he'll take care of you, taxes as well. Stupid, stupid times.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Times are tough. I recently sold some gold and got a pretty penny for it.
My Ops. mgr. asked me just the other day where I had sold it b/c he's hurting for money.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

At first I thought you were kidding, then I remember where I work and I know you're not. I added my parents to my family cell plan and finally put my corporate discount on and it knocked my part down about $25 a month, and I am waiting one more year to buy a new truck. Been doing the Goodwill store for a while, especially for my daughter (that is until she becomes a tag person)...3rd Wednesday of the month is half-off day.

I did the cheaper insurance part too, luckily my son is "financially responsible" for himself now and he has already met the deductible for all of us!

Oh yeah, I cut back on shooting, now I just use my .22, rounds are a lot cheaper.

CJinx

I'd like to buy one of those motorized bicycles. I hear they get 100+ miles to the gallon. It beats paying 60+ dollars to fill up the tank of my car every few weeks.

vantexan

electric scooters are great, too !
They also have e-bikes now (electric bicycles).

Google Torker Big T. Industrial bike, built like a tank. That's my new bike. Planning to put a hub motor on it. No gas, insurance, very low maintenance. Including hub motor will pay for itself in less than a year.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

If I need to use the washroom,I try to wait till im at work.I save a few bucks on toilet paper that way.

I can relate....who knew girls "used" (a.k.a. WASTE) so much toilet paper. I used to requisition some when I worked at the hub to take home, even talked the supply people into buying the softer stuff!

Damon77

My gas guzzler of a ride is paid off in August, and I too will be selling that, paying off all my debt and biking it to work. That's the upside of Texas; it's bike weather year round.

I guess that's what happens to us when we work in a region with the lowest pay scales.

whenIgetthere

My gas guzzler of a ride is paid off in August, and I too will be selling that, paying off all my debt and biking it to work. That's the upside of Texas; it's bike weather year round.

I guess that's what happens to us when we work in a region with the lowest pay scales.

Wish I could do that, but I live 25 miles from the station by freeway, 30 miles by side roads. Don't want to leave for work 90 minutes before start time, though!

HuckToohey

You are entering a world of pain.
We have a few couriers/families at our station who qualify for food stamps. Such a shining display of the P-S-P philosophy at Fedex Corp. SHAME ON YOU.