DQ'ed for consistantly poor performance

By The Book

You said 17 days, does this include your 5 days at INTEGRAD, if so you had 22 days to qualify. Do as others have said, find out what you messed on and volunteer to work Sat, Exception Air anything to improve on what you learned.
If I'm picking up what your puttin down does that mean all time spent in class(5days) counts as a day in the 30 day probation period. If that's true a driver in probation who punches in on day 26 would be qualified? Please clarify for me.

If I'm picking up what your puttin down does that mean all time spent in class(5days) counts as a day in the 30 day probation period. If that's true a driver in probation who punches in on day 26 would be qualified? Please clarify for me.
No, class time does not count toward your 30 days. But does count toward your experience level.

By The Book

Request to load trucks! It will get your mind sharp and your speed/pace faster. You will be able to find pkgs quickly and this will give you better numbers: stops per hour. When you request to load, ask to load the set that your training route is in. This shows initiate on your part and management likes people who want to improve.

bumped

Where I'm at, they won't let you get near the 30 days if they know your not going to make it. They don't want to get your hopes up.

UPSGUY72

i work on the preload, but never loaded before so when i became a cover driver the way the truck was loaded and the HIN was all new to me. and for my center it's a year you have to wait after being DQ'ed. i already do air on saturdays and driving the truck and using the DIAD are not the things i have trouble with. it was mostly finding packages (due to them being out of order, or all over the floor) and area knowledge, although i was getting to know my delivery area a lot better, but they would throw new areas on me which slowed me down.

Basically you got DQ'd because your SPHOR basically never increased.

Not having loaded a car doesn't mean anything UPS hires driver off the street that somehow seem to be able to figure out how to find packages that are loaded in the package car. Saying the HIN # system was new to you is BS you deliver Sat Air you at least have some knowledge about them and you have been working at UPS for over 7 years. Also packages these days are rarely put on the shelves in exact number order. There isn't enough room in each section with the number of package that have to be stuff there. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to sort out the packages for the next 10 to 20 stop and move on.

Did it occur to you that if the package where all over the floor something might be wrong with the way your driving the vehicle.

As far as area knowledge if that was a problem why didn't you use a weekend day or two and a map and go drive around the area you where delivering in and get familiar with it. I understand you where giving some new areas each day but the majority of your route was the same each day your number should have gotten better.

There is an Pt Local Sort / Sat Air driver in the building I started in that gets DQ'd ever time he tries to qualify to drive he has one speed and it's called slow motion.

oldngray

nowhere special
The biggest problem people have trying to qualify (other than accidents) is mentally keeping ahead of the work. If you don't plan ahead and have things thought out in advance you can start just spinning your wheels and will take much longer to do everything regardless of how hard you physically work. Working smart is more important than working hard.

tadpole

It took me a long time to get the hang of it, too. I didn't make book the first time. I was directionally challenged. Having trouble knowing which way to go, confused about the grid system. I got the hang of it and now it's easy. You have the right attitude. You can do this.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
3 days with an on-car, then thirty days.

Sent using a Potato
Nah, Your last day of driver school (except at Integrad maybe) is riding with an on-car (usually you're a glorified driver's helper for the day) then usually the on-car spends minimum two more full days with you driving and them riding shotgun. If you're good you get the on-car off the car within a week. If the on-car has to stay too long, you're probably not going to cut it. Note this is for a full time hire--not a casual. If you're a casual you're probably lucky if you get a 1-3 days with an on-car. You might just go out with another driver for a day or two.

That being said...your 30 day qualification starts the day you're out of driver school--not after 3 days with an on-car. Your seniority (if you obtain it) is then retro-dated back to that same day (first day after getting out of driver school).

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Prove it huh TT? Is the hacker at least buying me dinner first?;)
Or during dinner :P
smilie.blowjob.gif

mikeny

Service Provider
Basically you got DQ'd because your SPHOR basically never increased.

Not having loaded a car doesn't mean anything UPS hires driver off the street that somehow seem to be able to figure out how to find packages that are loaded in the package car. Saying the HIN # system was new to you is BS you deliver Sat Air you at least have some knowledge about them and you have been working at UPS for over 7 years. Also packages these days are rarely put on the shelves in exact number order. There isn't enough room in each section with the number of package that have to be stuff there. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to sort out the packages for the next 10 to 20 stop and move on.

Did it occur to you that if the package where all over the floor something might be wrong with the way your driving the vehicle.

As far as area knowledge if that was a problem why didn't you use a weekend day or two and a map and go drive around the area you where delivering in and get familiar with it. I understand you where giving some new areas each day but the majority of your route was the same each day your number should have gotten better.

There is an Pt Local Sort / Sat Air driver in the building I started in that gets DQ'd ever time he tries to qualify to drive he has one speed and it's called slow motion.

first off on Saturday's we don't use HIN#'s, i have an average of 15 stops, so no need for them. and yes with what i do in the building i never used those numbers before, nor heard of them. and i don't expect them to be in exact order but i will sometimes find a 3000 all the way in the back etc.

when i say packages all over the floor i'm talking about before i leave the building, because there's so many packages there's no room for them so they have to stuff them on the floor up to the roof. on average i wouldn't even be able to walk to the back of the truck, unless i had 120 stops or less.

i did drive around the area i was delivering a few times a week. area knowledge would take weeks or months to learn it, not 3 days like my sup expected of me. and i was just getting to know most of it too.

i had another driver ride with me a few times and he said my driving was excellent, i had the diad down and a fast pace, the only thing i needed to work on was organizing the back of the truck.