DR to businesses

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The church I do, at their request. Once in awhile the door is open when I get there and I will leave packages at the office door (inside) but quite often no one is there even if the front door is unlocked. Caveat: The public High School is on the same property and if I can catch someone there I will leave church packages there. This doesn't happen during the summer though. I have had no problems with DFU's here.

We can DR churches, although I wouldn't leave them by the front door--I would bring them to the rectory. The thread is about leaving Basic or shipper release packages at closed businesses. Would you do this?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Warning letter if you bring back shipper release packages after being instructed to leave them.
The problem with this is that not all packages for the post office are basics and I am not wasting my time going through bag after bag to make sure I DR only basics. They can write warning letters all day long. I am acting in the best interest of the customer. They can kiss my (you fill in the blank). :happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We can DR churches, although I wouldn't leave them by the front door--I would bring them to the rectory. The thread is about leaving Basic or shipper release packages at closed businesses. Would you do this?
It depends on the business. I have DR'd businesses in the past (as a utility driver) and I have some businesses that I do DR now (as a bid driver). This includes regular packages and basic/shipper release. It is rare that I not DR a shipper release to a business. There has to be an extenuating circumstance to not do it. The post office was brought up. I will NOT ever DR to my post office.

barnyard

KTM rider
The thread is about leaving Basic or shipper release packages at closed businesses. Would you do this?

There were 2 businesses on a route that I used to run that both received shipper release packages and were frequently closed. I never questioned it, I left them by a door where I knew they would be found. 1 place was a glass studio and would get 4-5, 25-45 lb basic packages every other Friday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It depends on the business. I have DR'd businesses in the past (as a utility driver) and I have some businesses that I do DR now (as a bid driver). This includes regular packages and basic/shipper release. It is rare that I not DR a shipper release to a business. There has to be an extenuating circumstance to not do it. The post office was brought up. I will NOT ever DR to my post office.

Do you leave the packages when they are closed and have gone home?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Do you leave the packages when they are closed and have gone home?
I'm assuming you are referring to businesses in general. Again, it depends on the business, and the area and most importantly the package itself. I cannot give you a concrete answer. Most of the time I can get to my businesses before they close and if there is any issue in regards to the time frame I will almost always default to breaking off route to deliver by the methods. There are always exceptions, say a pkg that could not be found. If found after business hours and I know where the customer lives I will take it to the customer. If that fails, and I feel safe in Dr'ing the pkg, at the business, in a place that is inconspicuous then I will do that. If that fails then the pkg goes back missed. There are ways to get packaged delivered that are reasonable, take care of the customer and keep mgt happy. I'm not out trying to screw my customers nor management.

kingOFchester

Have we not learned that different centers "direct" their employees in manners that they feel are correct? Do we not know that above all else, we work as directed? Upstate has not been directed to DR a basic at a business. Most of us have.

I use to cover a route that was on the main drag in a questionable area. Had a basic package for a bar.(think it was menu's from a printer). They were closed. I sheeted as closed. Several hours later my green light comes on. "Why didn't you leave the package for XXXX main street? Never bring back a basic package." Felt silly leaving a box in front of a door on the sidewalk, but that is what I did.

pretty clear to this dumb driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate has not been directed to DR a basic at a business.

I have been directed to do this---I have never run in to a situaton where I have had to do it (other than the Walmart photo studio where I know I can safely hide the pkgs). If I ever do I will not leave the package and if asked why I will tell them. I would also take a cell phone pic of the location in question to support my position. They can then decide whether disciplinary action would be warranted.

kingOFchester

I have been directed to do this---I have never run in to a situaton where I have had to do it (other than the Walmart photo studio where I know I can safely hide the pkgs). If I ever do I will not leave the package and if asked why I will tell them. I would also take a cell phone pic of the location in question to support my position. They can then decide whether disciplinary action would be warranted.

I work as directed. I do not care to take my time or energy to snap a picture to explain why I am not working as directed. I do not want to get the green light. I do not want to go back once I have already been to the stop. I do not want to take pictures. I do not want to be called into the office. I do not want to be spending time showing pictures to sup or center manager. Much easier to work as directed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I work as directed. I do not care to take my time or energy to snap a picture to explain why I am not working as directed. I do not want to get the green light. I do not want to go back once I have already been to the stop. I do not want to take pictures. I do not want to be called into the office. I do not want to be spending time showing pictures to sup or center manager. Much easier to work as directed.

...and you can walk in the following day and have the owner ask you why you would leave a package outside of his door after his posted business hours...I prefer to keep my customers happy and have no problem defending that if and when the need arises...

kingOFchester

...and you can walk in the following day and have the owner ask you why you would leave a package outside of his door after his posted business hours...I prefer to keep my customers happy and have no problem defending that if and when the need arises...

I would rather tell the customer to contact UPS and not get a warning letter, suspension, loss of job.

bumped

I have a customer that has a sign on their door saying do not leave packages. So, for the basic/shipper release pkgs they get held for will call after 1st attempt. When you non deliver a basic/shipper release that is one of the 3 options the diad gives.

bumped

I'd leave it at the back door. I just tell the customer I'm directed to leave it no matter what. I deliver in the ghetto, so I have lots of shipper release/basic pkgs that end up disappearing. I've even been at the same stop as a postal carrier and we both know its going to be gone, but there's nothing we can do. The customer when filing a claim gets signature required pkgs after, especially from Target.

stink219

Upstate has not been directed to DR a basic at a business.

You said in prior post that you follow all methods and work as directed. So what's the deal? You change stories like you change underwear....Once a week!

OptimusPrime

Yes they do have rules for that. One time is a warning. Second time is termination (for contractors). I've seen the safety guy following drivers maybe a handful of times in the last ten years. And it's usually when they are trying to get rid of someone.

At least that used to be the rule... I honestly don't even remember the last time he was around.

They drive with the bulkhead door open in their commercial.

FedEx Ad: Enchanted Forest - YouTube

kingOFchester

Show me in the methods where it says we can DR to a closed business and I will start doing it tomorrow.

UPS states the following as far as a shipper release package:

UPS will make only one delivery attempt
UPS will not obtain a signature upon delivery

So I take it you would RTS package or you would sheet as will call. All other options would be giving away a service that the shipper declined to pay for.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This will be my last comment on this issue.

I would either indirect the package or sheet as closed. I would not leave the package outside the front door of a closed business.