DRA will be the death of express

STFXG

Where did you come up with decision? New York "decided" FedEx doesn't apply with that bill. Your post is nonsense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What I think is that you are probably easily replaceable and I think you know it and are somewhat worried about that fact. You hate it, you hate the company for making it so, but deep inside you know that the company believes it.

While I agree that Express is a dead duck for the most part, you and your fellow contractors are operating with a major misconception in-mind, the same one that infects Express upper management. Everyone at any FedEx opco is easily replaceable at any time, but that's not the misconception. You are dead-wrong if you think DRA is the answer at Express. Just because it works at Ground, it doesn't mean it will work over here. So far, it has been an utter disaster that is costing huge money, not saving it. The added level of job complexity at Express precludes successful implementation of DRA, unless they will be content with low-functioning Ground-level productivity and reasoning. And they are not happy with the results.

You can "fine-tune", or rework DRA forever and the complexity issue will still remain. The current group of new hires at Express are basically Ground-type hires, and that means most simply aren't capable of the higher level of function Express requires. That, plus the low pay and other factors that contribute to high turnover and never progressing very far down the learning curve, means that Express will have to be satisfied with the tattooed box monkey who has a lot of accidents, never gets above 7 or 8 SPH, and can't do anything unless his/her PowerPad directs them to do so. They will WAD, not intentionally, but because that is all they are capable of doing. That doesn't bode well for productivity or profit.

The net result will be a low-profit/no-profit Express, and a high-profit Ground that will keep Express afloat. Because FedEx is s systems integrator, they need to offer customers a whole range of services, just like UPS, even if they are money-losers (like Kinkos and eventually, Express). Perhaps they (upper management) will be content with this. I doubt it. They will never figure it out, Express will continue to decline, and they'll just keep pushing people out the door because they think anyone with a pulse and a driver's license can do the Express job efficiently. They cannot.

We are led by morons. If you buy into their crap, you're right there with them.

fedupped

How are you doing with your stock options. I know, not nearly high enough up the ladder to worry about that. Your a grunt, like me. Keep drinking the kool aid.

bbsam

Staff member
BBsam is a rt owner. He is doing very well..now. You are the guest Fred invites over to mow the yard. Things will change. Watch. You have a good business relationship with the Fedex corp. But, like any vendor, you can easily be replaced. You know, not being an employee, as reaffirmed by the recent New York decision.. Trucking crazy: FedEx guts bill that would have aided drivers - NYPOST.com
.. Enjoy! I'll order up some of those route manifests for you and your employees.
There is the problem. I have always known I could be replaced. You guys are just now figuring out that the skills you thought so valuable aren't what you thought. Skip the manifest. Just show me the labels.

!Retired!

You are dead-wrong if you think DRA is the answer at Express. Just because it works at Ground, it doesn't mean it will work over here.
Even your buddy, R1A, will tell you they have invested WAY to much money in DRA to scrap it. FedEx will make it work, no matter how long it takes. I hear from swing drivers how well it works in residential areas. In my area, which is 85-90% business, different story. But, the 10-15% that's residential, it routes me close to perfect. I'd like to hear how it does in a major city like NY.

STFXG

I don't think they realize manifests are a new thing at Ground. Sorting your truck by time commitments would be far too difficult for anyone but these people on the board. Wait! You also get called to go do a pickup! Such complexity. My mind is blown.

Back to straight lining. (Driver needed a day off)

MAKAVELI

BBsam is a rt owner. He is doing very well..now. You are the guest Fred invites over to mow the yard. Things will change. Watch. You have a good business relationship with the Fedex corp. But, like any vendor, you can easily be replaced. You know, not being an employee, as reaffirmed by the recent New York decision.. Trucking crazy: FedEx guts bill that would have aided drivers - NYPOST.com
.. Enjoy! I'll order up some of those route manifests for you and your employees.
There is the problem. I have always known I could be replaced. You guys are just now figuring out that the skills you thought so valuable aren't what you thought. Skip the manifest. Just show me the labels.
What do the labels have to do with the tea in China?

fedupped

I have always known that I'm just a truck driver. Somewhat embarrassed. Our station scraps Dra 50% of the time. Had a bunch of sick calls recent. We had to restructure the routes on the fly up until 10 minutes out the door. Not mgmnt. Couriers. This happens often. Thats where that "DRA will allow any housewife off the street to run a route" BS gets thrown out the window.

fedupped

I don't think they realize manifests are a new thing at Ground. Sorting your truck by time commitments would be far too difficult for anyone but these people on the board. Wait! You also get called to go do a pickup! Such complexity. My mind is blown.

I have seen so many high and mighty mgrs packing up their offices, with their little handcart, through the years. I'm the only one left standing. A lot of them were forced back on the road. So much arrogance through the years. Forgot where they came from. Never saw it coming. Most will get what they deserve.

I'd like to hear how it does in a major city like NY.

DRA doesn't work in vertical markets. We have multiple high rise buildings in our station. It routes a 40 story building with 15-20 stops as one stop. That's not gonna work when you have two or three 20+ story buildings on your route.

TUT

What I believe is that Fred S will stop at nothing to gain more power and $ billions. If that means treating the people that work for him as subhuman

If you really believe it, your the fool working there not busting ass finding another job. Remember, Fedex is a job, not a sentence.

!Retired!

DRA doesn't work in vertical markets. We have multiple high rise buildings in our station. It routes a 40 story building with 15-20 stops as one stop. That's not gonna work when you have two or three 20+ story buildings on your route.
I used to work downtown....I kind of figured that would happen. My current route is the same way. While my tallest building is only 4 floors, it does that same thing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Here's where you prove your ignorance. The average Express courier has several different delivery commitments, which means no straightlining unless there is a National Service Disruption. Pickups is where it gets fun. Let's say I have a pickup area with multiple cutoffs, which vary from 1500 to 1600, but can vary more or less depending on the route, especially if it is extended area. So, in addition to my 10-15 regulars (house stops in UPS speak) I have 20 or more on-calls, which means that customers can call right up to the cutoff time and get a pickup the same day. This means that I have to get really creative to make it all work correctly. They can and often do call at 1459 or 1559 to buy themselves more time, or they call and want an early pickup or specific pickup time. Guess what? They will be told whatever they want to hear and we're supposed to "make it happen". I need to be able to work-in these pickups while I'm still trying to deliver all my SO before 1500 and P2 before 1700. It isn't rocket science, but it isn't easy either. Frankly, it's well beyond your average employee bbsam...I can assure you of that. Oh, and somewhere in there I need to get a full hour lunch, even when there is late freight.

This is where Ground folks don't "get it", and where Ground will fail miserably if and when they get real on-calls and real pickup routes. It's amazing how stupid some of these ISPs are when it comes to the differences between the opcos.

El Morado Diablo

I have always known that I'm just a truck driver. Somewhat embarrassed. Our station scraps Dra 50% of the time. Had a bunch of sick calls recent. We had to restructure the routes on the fly up until 10 minutes out the door. Not mgmnt. Couriers. This happens often. Thats where that "DRA will allow any housewife off the street to run a route" BS gets thrown out the window.

It's times like these that couriers have to tell management it's their responsibility to restructure the routes on the fly. I mean, really, how do they expect you to problem solve and think for yourselves when all they do all day is order you to do what upper management tells them to tell you in verbatim. One of senior couriers told our manager he didn't know why we needed a manager or Sr manager when everything they tell us comes straight from the horse's ***** in Memphis. Absolutely loved it!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Dear fedeupped,
This is where you need to WAD the most, my friend. Don't restructure anything. Go with exactly what management tells you to do, even if you know it's horrific. It amazing that hourlies (dispatchers and couriers especially) bail these people out almost daily. You are paid a pittance to NOT think. Give them what they pay for. WAD the route and try to convince everyone else to do the same. Your service level and PM operation will be in shambles, and you would have done exactly what you had been told to do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

From what I've heard and seen, DRA only works in relatively low-density areas. The one thing to really consider is that it hasn't even come close to being fully implemented. In my district, only the largest station has it, and it is a complete abortion. Wait until they extend it everywhere.