Drive at UPS or elsewhere

AndUPSER

So just a little background on me. I started UPS when in was 17 and have 3 years in as a part time loader. My 2nd job is offering me a job as a tractor trailer driver once I turn 21. A position as a driver there pays around $50,000-$60,000 a year. I would start around 5:00 each day and end between 4:00-5:00.

Obviously the choice is going be up to me and I have a few more months. But should I stick it out at UPS, where it's going to take me 7-9 more years until I get a chance at FT driving or go with the tractor trailer driver position at my other job?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
is that other job union?

what kind of job security does it have?

is the company going to be around 10 years from now? or 25 ?

are you thinking short term or long term.

a UPS driver makes between 100-150k a year when you factor in wages and benefits. long term job security and pay is excellent.

your 7=9 year window may turn out to be 3-5 years the way the company is growing. and those years will go by very quickly.

if the answer to my first 3 questions is no or unsure then I would stick with UPS.

I'm glad I did. made 2 million in wages and benefits. will make another million with my pension and will make another 750k with social security if I live another 30 years.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Can he get on the transfer list now for feeders if not yet 21?

To the OP, how long is the waiting list for Feeders in your area? Also, are there other hubs in your area? You could always start at one and put your name on the transfer list.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Good things come to those who wait.

And sure, sign the list. I was signed up to be a driver before I was 21 and was out on the road a week after. You never know until you try.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
So just a little background on me. I started UPS when in was 17 and have 3 years in as a part time loader. My 2nd job is offering me a job as a tractor trailer driver once I turn 21. A position as a driver there pays around $50,000-$60,000 a year. I would start around 5:00 each day and end between 4:00-5:00.

Obviously the choice is going be up to me and I have a few more months. But should I stick it out at UPS, where it's going to take me 7-9 more years until I get a chance at FT driving or go with the tractor trailer driver position at my other job?
If you want to be a driver then stick with UPS. Most of these places are getting rid of pensions, and dropping their top out rates. UPS is alright so far. You have better job security at UPS, however I will say being at UPS as long as I have I wonder what if constantly. Just make a list of pros and cons.

10 point

If you want to be a driver then stick with UPS. Most of these places are getting rid of pensions, and dropping their top out rates. UPS is alright so far. You have better job security at UPS, however I will say being at UPS as long as I have I wonder what if constantly. Just make a list of pros and cons.
"What if" at 20 yrs old is a good place to start.

The management here exudes stress. If the money makes up for the daily garbage from clueless CMs stay. If not, find a place that you enjoy working and feel somewhat valued.

The future of your health long term may depend upon it.

If your 2nd job offers a health insurance plan, then stay with them. If you can work 5am-4pm with them, then those are ideal hours to start and raise a family. UPS hours suck ass, as you don't start until almost 9am and rarely get home before 8-9pm. This leaves you virtually no time after work to get anything constructive done and you'll miss all of your kid's ball games and/or school programs. The extra money you may make at UPS isn't worth the family life you will miss. UPS has provided well for me over the years, but one of my biggest regrets is that I was rarely at home when my kids needed me there. Looking back, it just hasn't been worth it.

wlandry05

I was a truck driver before I came to ups trust me don't leave these trucking companies will lie and say u will make this and that just to put u in a seat of one of their trucks

Cowboy Mac

Check out truckingtruth.com if you want to see what it's actually like in the trucking industry. Some of these places are just like UPS (lies by management, harassment, obsession with numbers) only they don't have a union to protect them.

MendozaJ

If you feel as though you're making a career choice, something you plan on doing for the rest of your life (hard to consider at 20), choose the one that sets you up better for the long term.

Browndriver5

I don't see why so many UPS drivers make a big deal about hours worked. If you look at any industry if you make a lot of money more is required out of you. Do you think anyone who makes over or close to 100k a year has any normal life?

Anthonysg0113

Truly it is a tough decision, especially at 20, to stay pt at UPS until a ft position popped up. But that other trucking company isn't UPS. You're already in the company, just stick it out. It's worth it!

I don't see why so many UPS drivers make a big deal about hours worked. If you look at any industry if you make a lot of money more is required out of you. Do you think anyone who makes over or close to 100k a year has any normal life?

To answer your question, yes. The majority of my neighbors are home from work around 6pm. The majority of my customers (upscale neighborhoods) are home by 6. If they do have to work late, it's usually only a day or two a week.