Drive By Sheeting

H

hseofpayne

I was watching the news and I was reminded of this term "drive by sheeting" I used to use to describe what cover drivers would do to the pkgs going to apts on the Friday b4 I would come back from vacation. They would drive by the apt complex and sheet 'em all up as NI1! I used to take the following Monday off just to ruin their evil plan but half the time they just put NI2 on 'em! I would look in the back of my car and see 20 stops going to an apt complex that usually got 5 or so stops and know I was the victim of a "Drive By Sheeting!" Anybody else been sheeted?!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was watching the news and I was reminded of this term "drive by sheeting" I used to use to describe what cover drivers would do to the pkgs going to apts on the Friday b4 I would come back from vacation. They would drive by the apt complex and sheet 'em all up as NI1! I used to take the following Monday off just to ruin their evil plan but half the time they just put NI2 on 'em! I would look in the back of my car and see 20 stops going to an apt complex that usually got 5 or so stops and know I was the victim of a "Drive By Sheeting!" Anybody else been sheeted?!
Oh yeah, not me personally, but we have a few that are pro's at doing this. That is a perfect term for it too.

Overpaid Union Thug

I can't prove that anyone is doing that here but I know that we have plenty of drivers that never attempt the apartment deliveries to the offices when the customers aren't home. The guys that do this usually get an hour of bonus each day. Go figure.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is a very simple yet effective way to curb this practice. Take one of the "send agains" and go to the consignee and ask them point blank if they were home on that day and at that time. If they say yes, show them the service cross and advise them that a delivery attempt was made (on paper, or on DIAD to be more accurate) and then give them either the toll free or the center number so that they can voice their concerns. If you have the time, track the pkg for that customer and show them the progress, to include the "delivery attempt". Ask them if there was a delivery notice on the door, as I'm sure the driver simply scanned the notice in the pkg car and then threw it away. Yes, you would be basically throwing the cover driver under the bus, but you would also be teaching him a valuable lesson and one that he would come to appreciate it when he has his own route and a cover driver is doing this to him.

I had a cover driver who had a bad habit of doing this and this approach, while not 100% effective, proved to be quite effective. He was also good at NSN, NSS, NSP, or any of the other options available so that he wouldn't actually have to get off his butt and make the actual delivery attempt. It took 2-3 sequences like this until he finally figured out that he was not only screwing me but, more importantly, screwing the customer and he is now one of the better cover drivers in the bldg.

john346

No more Brown!
OH BOY! Mine is a tough area to cover anyhow, lots of midnight road number sign shootings, posts being taken away and replaced with a dead Bud Light packs & a few empties. More often than trying to determine what the address they have on the front of the box, you just know that it's Bob's kid who hooked up with the girl from the internet, and this must be her name.
Anyhow, I went away to Mexico for two weeks, and when I came back on Monday, they sent a 3/4 full 800, and my regular tail-load on the 1000, and I'm in a Sprinter! I was a victim of this big time. The fellow who brings my load to me, told me that they had easily pulled 40 to 50 pkgs out of his 500 that he just couldn't get to on Friday. No service crosses, nothing. The kicker was, on top of all of the extra work that Monday, the rest of the week, I had to do about 8 driver follow-ups for misdelivered pkgs, and hear everyone who had any attractive female employees complain about how he'd just come by with no package & hang around for an hour or so. At least five way bad routes (lots of miles up a canyon), I had handed to me at a business with the explination "he said you'd take this when you came in", two of which were vaccines, that were over a week old that I just returned. I did get a look at his Friday WOR, 38 stops, and 112 miles, not bad since my average is 85-90 stops & 250 miles.
I was amazed to find out that for all the complaints, and missed pkgs, against the WOR, management just shrugged it off as "it's just Rob". He's only been back on my route twice, but when I heard it was him covering for me, I made it a point to meet him at the car while returning from a stop, and made my intentions crystal clear regarding the consequences should he decide to pull that crap again. I explained that I expected him to work out here, and that when they sent him out here it wasn't his personal trim hunt. So far, so good.....

And yes, the names have been changed to protect the ignorant. Probably should have changed Rob to "Dick" though.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OH BOY! Mine is a tough area to cover anyhow, lots of midnight road number sign shootings, posts being taken away and replaced with a dead Bud Light packs & a few empties. More often than trying to determine what the address they have on the front of the box, you just know that it's Bob's kid who hooked up with the girl from the internet, and this must be her name.
Anyhow, I went away to Mexico for two weeks, and when I came back on Monday, they sent a 3/4 full 800, and my regular tail-load on the 1000, and I'm in a Sprinter! I was a victim of this big time. The fellow who brings my load to me, told me that they had easily pulled 40 to 50 pkgs out of his 500 that he just couldn't get to on Friday. No service crosses, nothing. The kicker was, on top of all of the extra work that Monday, the rest of the week, I had to do about 8 driver follow-ups for misdelivered pkgs, and hear everyone who had any attractive female employees complain about how he'd just come by with no package & hang around for an hour or so. At least five way bad routes (lots of miles up a canyon), I had handed to me at a business with the explination "he said you'd take this when you came in", two of which were vaccines, that were over a week old that I just returned. I did get a look at his Friday WOR, 38 stops, and 112 miles, not bad since my average is 85-90 stops & 250 miles.
I was amazed to find out that for all the complaints, and missed pkgs, against the WOR, management just shrugged it off as "it's just Rob". He's only been back on my route twice, but when I heard it was him covering for me, I made it a point to meet him at the car while returning from a stop, and made my intentions crystal clear regarding the consequences should he decide to pull that crap again. I explained that I expected him to work out here, and that when they sent him out here it wasn't his personal trim hunt. So far, so good.....

And yes, the names have been changed to protect the ignorant. Probably should have changed Rob to "Dick" though.
Oh holy crap, and they just shrugged it off? Makes you wanna take a walk out behind the wood pile, huh!

Though it would take awhile to learn, this is the kind of rte that I love. I do 2 rural rtes that I really like. The easy one I learned pretty quick. The other one took me probably 4 months to learn it really well. I just love these types of rtes.

over9five

Staff member
I used to have a cover driver that did this. He liked to make sure I knew it too. The service cross for those apts always said CLO H, or something equally "funny".

john346

No more Brown!
Oh holy crap, and they just shrugged it off? Makes you wanna take a walk out behind the wood pile, huh!

Though it would take awhile to learn, this is the kind of rte that I love. I do 2 rural rtes that I really like. The easy one I learned pretty quick. The other one took me probably 4 months to learn it really well. I just love these types of rtes.

Yeah, it has it's benefits, drawbacks too, but I NEVER see anyone from mgmt or even really talk with anyone at the center, so that's sweet.
With being so close net, not paying too much regard for the address, going by name, do you have nicknames for the customers as well?
Often, when my feeder car takes some work off of me, we'll use nicknames that I've coined. He'll ask who this is & I'll reply, something like "that's the cat in the red house next door to snapperhead's."
Some of the hits here are; Nicknose (likes to tell everyone he got it in a knife fight, but truth is a dog took a chunk out of his nose). Cockeyed Mary (has a lazy eye that is looking over your shoulder when she talks to you). Snapperhead (has a jaw that protrudes easily two inches and too large of lower dentures for his mouth). Short eye guy (a registered sex offender that likes little kids). There's more, but these are some that come to mind right off.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No, not so much. Your nicknames are very creative! I do agree on the mgt thing. Rarely see any and it is nice. Not to many ride-alongs, either. They don't like going on the truck ALL day long. Some of the roads can be pretty rough and they don't like getting beat up in the jump seat.

H

hseofpayne

There is a very simple yet effective way to curb this practice. Take one of the "send agains" and go to the consignee and ask them point blank if they were home on that day and at that time. If they say yes, show them the service cross and advise them that a delivery attempt was made (on paper, or on DIAD to be more accurate) and then give them either the toll free or the center number so that they can voice their concerns. If you have the time, track the pkg for that customer and show them the progress, to include the "delivery attempt". Ask them if there was a delivery notice on the door, as I'm sure the driver simply scanned the notice in the pkg car and then threw it away. Yes, you would be basically throwing the cover driver under the bus, but you would also be teaching him a valuable lesson and one that he would come to appreciate it when he has his own route and a cover driver is doing this to him.

I had a cover driver who had a bad habit of doing this and this approach, while not 100% effective, proved to be quite effective. He was also good at NSN, NSS, NSP, or any of the other options available so that he wouldn't actually have to get off his butt and make the actual delivery attempt. It took 2-3 sequences like this until he finally figured out that he was not only screwing me but, more importantly, screwing the customer and he is now one of the better cover drivers in the bldg.

I found a shorter rte to deal with these drive by sheeters. I would get an OMS to print out their delivery records and show the sup 10 NI1s in less than 2 minutes. Now ain't nobody that fast! It was always embarrassing to have to explain to customers why they didn't get their pkg when they swore to you they were home all day waiting.

H

hseofpayne

I used to have a cover driver that did this. He liked to make sure I knew it too. The service cross for those apts always said CLO H, or something equally "funny".

My favorite was always FI 1! We have some swing drivers we accuse of being scared of heights because if the pkg goes to anything above the first floor apts, it aint gonna be delivered. We also had a cover driver who any time he had a misload he didn't want to run, he would just kick the crap out of the pkg and sheet it up as damaged!

Leftinbuilding

As a quick aside, I nominate this topic title as the cleverest yet. The play on "Drive by Shooting" is very fitting. Ok, I am finished. Carry on..........:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I found a shorter rte to deal with these drive by sheeters. I would get an OMS to print out their delivery records and show the sup 10 NI1s in less than 2 minutes. Now ain't nobody that fast! It was always embarrassing to have to explain to customers why they didn't get their pkg when they swore to you they were home all day waiting.

At first it was embarrassing for me as well but when I had finally had enough I would tell the customers exactly what had happened and then give them the appropriate telephone numbers.