Drive By Sheeting

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I just worry about how I do my job. People like that will eventually tick off the wrong customer or a new manager will see through his BS and he will get busted.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
With the speed of which customers call and are tracking their stuff these days, I can't see how any driver can get away with flagging stops like this? Add to that telematics showing where you are when you scan! Good way to get yourself fired for sure.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
With the speed of which customers call and are tracking their stuff these days, I can't see how any driver can get away with flagging stops like this? Add to that telematics showing where you are when you scan! Good way to get yourself fired for sure.
We lost one this way. Just to get home a few minutes earlier.

You've Got Mail

I attempt delivery at the apartment complex on my route. I always DR when it says no DR allowed, unless it gives me the Signature Required thing. I'm usually lucky with someone being home. Some drivers are just too impatient or lazy.

How are you able to DR a stop where it says No DR Allowed? Only time I will do this is if it is a shipper release and even then I am careful about what is in the box.

You've Got Mail

How are you able to DR a stop where it says No DR Allowed? Only time I will do this is if it is a shipper release and even then I am careful about what is in the box.

I hit RelNum, Enter, Deliver, Front Door. Only time I won't DR is if the board really won't let me get past it, which is really only when a signature is required.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As an ex-coverage drive by sheeter, I have to say a few words in defense of the sheeters...

You come to a row of 20 mailboxes and 4 roads running off in every direction... hmmm, bang, bang.

RR 1 Box 456... hmmm, bang, bang.

When the regular driver returns from vacation and you ask him for directions or a map of their area, and they say learn it the hard way... hmmm, ok, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.

It's sure gonna suck to be you on the monday mornings after your vacation.

The guys who cover my rural route have my cell phone # and if there is an address they cant find or a dog they aren't sure about they are always welcome to call/text me and ask for help, even if I am on vacation.

In return for that consideration, all I ask of them is to make an honest effort to do the job right and not leave a mess and a bunch of pissed off customers for me to deal with when I return.

This approach seems to be working well; my customers seem to be happy with the service they get while I am gone and that is the way I prefer it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am the type of driver that always follows all methods 100% and I never want to make waves with anybody, especially the center manager. What should I do?

Have faith in Karma. Guys like the one you describe will often be the darlings of the management team due to the numbers they produce...right up to the point where the wrong type of complaint gets called in and Loss Prevention gets involved. At that point, your management team will throw the guy under the bus in order to cover their own asses. Then when LP is gone, they will find a new sucker to make numbers for them.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I hit RelNum, Enter, Deliver, Front Door. Only time I won't DR is if the board really won't let me get past it, which is really only when a signature is required.
eb6.jpg

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
What's stupid about DR'ing if the board lets you?
You'll find out when you DR a high value and it mysteriously turns up missing or the those meds get stolen that were controlled. So how about Apple products?....NO DR SDN ok /sig required? I suppose you just drop those too or do you not know they are usually Iphones or Ipads or the like?

21_years_in

Got guys like this in my center 2. They even sheet ground shipper release pkgs as ni1. Sometimes a whole street or whole neighborhood of Ni1. They are runners who make the regular guy look bad so management will do or say nothing. It's very frustrating , but they eventually will be fired for something management just can't cover for them. Seen it happen a lot over the past 20 years I've been here.
I agree that he will face discipline one day without further tattling on my part. Management is already aware that he is "dirty" and there are definitely other drivers and customers who are certain to turn him in.

I definitely love the idea of minding my own business, as management knows which drivers are "dirty", "clean" or somewhere in between. As for me, I always do things the right way (which makes for longer days) and I get zero grief from management.

This runner gunner is so extreme with his drive by sheeting that he is certain to sabotage his own employment.

21_years_in

Sometimes the home owner will request a No DR if they have had problems with stolen packages.
I am well aware of this. These untrusted customers are clearly indicated in the DIAD at the time of delivery.

The runner gunner I am complaining about sheeted a package as NI1 for a single family dwelling which has no such notes in the DIAD. This was on my bid route, so I am 100% sure that this address has no such notes. Any other driver would have just driver released the package to the porch.

At the time he sheeted the package as NI1, he was about 10 miles away from the stop.

21_years_in

You'll find out when you DR a high value and it mysteriously turns up missing or the those meds get stolen that were controlled. So how about Apple products?....NO DR SDN ok /sig required? I suppose you just drop those too or do you not know they are usually Iphones or Ipads or the like?
In my experience, controlled meds have a Signature Required or 21+ Signature Required barcode (and/or high value sticker). I have spoken to one of the larger pharma shippers about this issue via telephone and they definitely have a clear policy of requiring a signature for pain meds, anxiety pills, Adderall, etc.

Regarding Apple, I do what the DIAD directs me to do. Some Apple packages allow me to DR, while other Apple packages call for the Apple, Inc. DR form which the customer has printed, signed and posted. The name of the game is "Cover your Butt". I never risk losing my lucrative job over anything, much less a customer getting their product a day or so early.

Last edited:

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Okay then I won't DR anymore if it says no DR allowed. I'll ring the bell, knock, wait 15 seconds and begin service crossing. It's just a pain in the butt.
You're doing the smart thing. You may bend the rules occasionally but if you bend them frequently it will send up all sorts of flags. You have to do two things to survive UPS, cover your ass and fly under the radar.