Driver almost killed me today, I threatened to sue UPS if it happens one more time!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Re: Driver almost killed me today, I threatened to sue UPS if it happens one more tim

They use to pull off the trailers all the time with people in them back in my pt days...there were some guys that would try to jump out of them while they were moving....in the dark..lol

curiousbrain

Re: Driver almost killed me today, I threatened to sue UPS if it happens one more tim

This is horse crap of the highest degree.

If you are unloading a trailer, any feeder driver with a brain knows to pound on the side of the trailer and listen; if you hear them bang back, the trailer is not empty - furthermore, you could be standing outside twenty feet away and hear boxes slamming into rollers/extendos and know the trailer is not empty.

If you are unloading a package car, you could get in either side and instantly see it is being unloaded - even with the bulkhead door closed, the camera in the back (once the package car is started) would show you activity - and if you don't yell something between the time it takes for the car to start and the time it takes to move, you should probably be in white room with no human contact.

BS, BS, BS.

quamba 638

This is not the first time, this has happened 6 times to me and other unloaders. But this is the worst it has ever gotten. While I was unloading the brown truck today, a driver drove off today with me in the package delivery car and I fell forward into the metro then I quickly grabbed onto the pole in the package car. I'm not even going to blame the drivers, because I know that it's the ignorant managers' fault for not even setting some damn rules for drivers to follow when they're driving off. I quickly dropped some friend bombs and scream out and warned him to stop the effing truck right now. I got a little cut on my elbow. The ft supervisors and the manager quickly ran over to see what happen. The shop steward was off today so I couldn't get to tell him about it. I threaten the building manager that I'll surely pursue legal actions if this happens to anyone in the building again. They told me that I can take the rest of the week and next week off and I'll get paid for it. I know this is their incentive for me not to go further and press charges. I don't think I'm going to pursue any further with any legal actions because it was just a minor incident and I didn't get hurt but a little cut. Plus I get along really well with the ft supervisor, so I don't want to put his job in jeopardy. But If it wasn't for that metro that extended into the package car, god forbid, but I would probably be dead right now. Has this ever happened to anyone on here before, or have you ever heard of this happening to someone

Almost died seems like an over exaggeration. At my other job I've had drivers take off all the time, once when I was in a forklift, inside the trailer.
But it's a lot different than UPS.

All trailers here are required to be chocked now. But nobody chocks them.

degill7994

Had trailers pulled while i was unloading them several times in my unloading days. Would take a ride around the yard and wait for feeder driver to back it back on the door. Pt sup would go out in lot and bring extendo back in.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

IF this guy is legit...

The only reason they offered you that many days off, was to make sure 10 days past since the incident.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

If you are unloading a trailer, any feeder driver with a brain knows to pound on the side of the trailer and listen; if you hear them bang back, the trailer is not empty - furthermore, you could be standing outside twenty feet away and hear boxes slamming into rollers/extendos and know the trailer is not empty.

If you are unloading a package car, you could get in either side and instantly see it is being unloaded - even with the bulkhead door closed, the camera in the back (once the package car is started) would show you activity - and if you don't yell something between the time it takes for the car to start and the time it takes to move, you should probably be in white room with no human contact.

BS, BS, BS.
i agree this never happened, and even in the remote possibility that it did, no one is paying him for the two weeks they "gave him off". And furthermore, if OP is ok, just scratched up, why does he need so much time off?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Yeah that threw me off too...what pole?

There are poles in some package cars, 12s have them I know because I load two of them. Some run between 7000, 8000, 5000 to 6000 and on to the floor. He/ she might be talking about an older 12 that has poles running to the floor of the bed. Depends on the model type of the car it was made and by whos design idea.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

i agree this never happened, and even in the remote possibility that it did, no one is paying him for the two weeks they "gave him off". And furthermore, if OP is ok, just scratched up, why does he need a week off?

"The only reason they offered you that many days off, was to make sure 10 days past since the incident."

as said above...

10 days off to lose the chance to file a grievance.

curiousbrain

"The only reason they offered you that many days off, was to make sure 10 days past since the incident."

as said above...

The real question here, is why would any driver jeopardize their job (presumably, with good money and good benefits) by hopping into a package car, in a bay on a metro belt, and drive away so fast that they don't even check the thing or know if anyone is back there? Come on.

10veleze

Happened to me once, told the shifter let me borrow your reflective vest so I get back inside.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen or heard of unloaders/loaders still in the trailer when a feeder driver or a shifter pulls the trailer off the door. Most times they just watch for falling packages and take a ride. My personal favorite is always when a trailer pulls off a load bay with the portable rollers still inside. Some 10 feet off the door and the whole roller set crashes to the asphalt below.

The issue will always come down to the driver checking to see if anyone is in the cargo area, trailer or pc. This is one of the reasons I don't like the pads put along the side of the bay so you can't see if the trailer is open or if someone is in it unless you walk inside which can be a fair distance at times, which means things can easily change in that time.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

There are poles in some package cars, 12s have them I know because I load two of them. Some run between 7000, 8000, 5000 to 6000 and on to the floor. He/ she might be talking about an older 12 that has poles running to the floor of the bed. Depends on the model type of the car it was made and by whos design idea.
yeah i remember those.....

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

The real question here, is why would any driver jeopardize their job (presumably, with good money and good benefits) by hopping into a package car, in a bay on a metro belt, and drive away so fast that they don't even check the thing or know if anyone is back there? Come on.

Its a good question. At my building, if this happened, the driver would've been given the walk of shame.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

as said above...

i don't even think the OP made book yet. He posted a thread yesterday asking if he got sent home and didn't work, does it count towards book.

over9five

Staff member

HERE, they used to have us walk inside the building to make sure no-one was in the back of the trailer.
NOW, we are not allowed to walk in and check (my goodness, that's almost stealing time!!). We have to walk down the side of the trailer, knock at the back, and look into the back.

WELL, have you actually ever worked here???
1. Do you know how loud it is in the yard and in the building? I'd never hear a reply to my knocking.
2. Most of the time, the trailer is tight against the dock curtains and you can't see through them.

All I can do is hope they get the heck outta there when they hear the knocking.... OR, maybe that sup shouldn't call off the trailer till his people are out!!!!

Edit: I was speaking as a shifter driver here, as a Feeder driver I can go in and check.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

BS, BS, BS.

Our shifter & the feeders that sometimes assist don't bang on the doors. They wait for the supervisors to clear them (via the radio; shifter hand signals to feeders), then pull the door off the dock. Sometimes they get the wrong door, and an employee is still in the truck. This doesn't happen as often as it use to (even since an extendo was damaged), but it still happens several times per year. Late last year, on the Reload, we had an employee scanning loose smalls deep in a 53' trailer. The feeder driver -- who was not a UPS employee but rather a contractor used out of CACH, closed the door and took off with the employee still in it. He only made it to the corner, but I suspect other employees had heard the banging but ignored it for sheer laughter.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I think the OP is just another Jazzhands looking to start drama because his parents don't pay enough attention to him.