Driver Asked To Postpone Funeral

A

anonymous6

drivers father-in-law picked the wrong time to die. driver was asked by dispatch supe to postpone funereal to next weekend because of driver shortage next week.

sad but true.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't want to believe it but unfortunately I've witnessed something similar to this when a center manager's Dad passed away during peak. Some at UPS can truly be heartless bastards at times

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I can't imagine someone dumb enough to not tell the offending party to kick rocks. If I have a funeral to attend, I don't care WHAT time of year it is. I'm goin'

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Sad but true!
Many years ago when I was a steward, represented a fellow employee whose grandparent passed away during peak. center manager had the balls to call us into the office and ask that the employee work through peak and he would grant funeral leave after the first of the year. I asked him if he proposed putting the deceased on ice to benefit UPS and walked out.
Next day he came up to us and clarified that he was proposing that the employee not attend the funeral but take the days off after peak to do his grieving.

A

anonymous6

i guess i deserve the bs claim cause i like to have a little fun here once in awhile to stay sane.....but it;s true.

the driver happens to be a good friend of mine and his dad in law has been ill for awhile and he just passed. the week before the holiday is maxed out vaca wise and we have had a lot of xtra feedere work lately.

if you still don't want to believe how heartless this co is I don't know what to say. it is what it is.

I feel bad for my buddy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sad but true!
Many years ago when I was a steward, represented a fellow employee whose grandparent passed away during peak. center manager had the balls to call us into the office and ask that the employee work through peak and he would grant funeral leave after the first of the year. I asked him if he proposed putting the deceased on ice to benefit UPS and walked out.
Next day he came up to us and clarified that he was proposing that the employee not attend the funeral but take the days off after peak to do his grieving.

i guess i deserve the bs claim cause i like to have a little fun here once in awhile to stay sane.....but it;s true.

the driver happens to be a good friend of mine and his dad in law has been ill for awhile and he just passed. the week before the holiday is maxed out vaca wise and we have had a lot of xtra feedere work lately.

if you still don't want to believe how heartless this co is I don't know what to say. it is what it is.

I feel bad for my buddy.

I don't think even today's UPS would think like this but you are always dealing with individuals and I'm sure there are some people like this in the world ... and UPS.

bbsam

Staff member

I feel bad for my buddy.
can't he just say "no"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My father (not my Dad) passed away a few years ago shortly after Peak had begun. His final arrangements had been set with cremation and private ceremony at the convenience of the family. Since there was no immediate need for me to be there I requested the week between Christmas and New Years off, which was granted. We then held the ceremony and settled his affairs.

Had my relationship with my father (not my Dad) been closer this would be a different story.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My father (not my Dad) passed away a few years ago shortly after Peak had begun. His final arrangements had been set with cremation and private ceremony at the convenience of the family. Since there was no immediate need for me to be there I requested the week between Christmas and New Years off, which was granted. We then held the ceremony and settled his affairs.

Had my relationship with my father (not my Dad) been closer this would be a different story.

My grandmother died in 1998 at 4:00 AM on Christmas Eve. I got the phone call right before I was getting into the shower and getting ready for work. I went in to work anyway, my dad and uncle were there to deal with her affairs and we had all known it was coming. I didnt want to screw over the guys in my loop who would have been out until 10 that night trying to cover my route. I had already missed one day of work the previous week when she had the stroke and I spent the entire night at the hospital with my family thinking that she would die immediately. In 25 years at UPS that is the only time I have ever missed a day of work in the month of December.