driver being sued

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
ORM-D is very often completely misunderstood. US regulations do permit hazardous material to be classified and shipped as ORM-D when it is packed for commercial or retail purposes. Theoretically, if a commercial enterprise ships it to a private person for "private consumption", it is not ORM-D anymore, but Hazardous Material, requiring labeling, marking, packing and documentation in line with requirements. The same would go, if this ORM-D (or "Consumer CommoditY" ) is shipped by air. Applicable laws change for this type of shipment. A simple ORM-D sticker is not good enough, it must be an ORM-D-AIR sticker.

ORM-D = "Other Regulated Materials-Domestic".
Packages that bear this mark contain hazardous material in a limited quantity, which in turn presents a limited hazard during transportation, due to its form, quantity, and packaging.

One may ship a package without a hazard label. However, UPS prefers that you use the hazard label for maximum safety communications.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Back when we delivered a lot of vitamins, etc from GNC(General Nutrition Corp) #24122* that was a release number(before driver release) my center had their share of dogs that OD'd on their owners vitamins. We were told to put them up high were poochy couldn't get to them. I don't think people were sue happy back then!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Back when we delivered a lot of vitamins, etc from GNC(General Nutrition Corp) #24122* that was a release number(before driver release) my center had their share of dogs that OD'd on their owners vitamins. We were told to put them up high were poochy couldn't get to them. I don't think people were sue happy back then!

I think I have to agree with you...I also think that if someone orders an ORM-D then it should be their responsibility (especially if they have a dog!) to make sure either that someone is home it sign for it or pick it up. At the very least direction for what "you" know "you" ordered shouldn't be left up to the delivery guy!

I would anyway...

I do have one more question....

Where was the dog??

yuhjnm

yuhjnm
it is the address of the building in suffolk that i work out of
a driver in my center has sued over a dog bite and won

980 HORSEBLOCK RD
FARMINGVILLE NY 11738

H

hseofpayne

lets flip the story. does anyone know of a driver that has ever sued the owner of a dog for being bit??

We had a driver knock on a door and when the owner opened it, a pit bull jumped on the driver, clamped down on his forearm and tore out a big chunk of his arm befor the owner could get it off of him. He was outta work for a long time, sued, and I think he got around $40,000.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Storm, how many consignees do you think actually know (or care) what an ORM-D is? I had no clue what this was until I started working here. Of course, I now know that is stands for Other Regulated Material-Domestic, which are household products which are safe to be transported by ground but need hazmat papers if going by air. Unless the website from which the products are being ordered clearly states that this product is ORM-D and the shipper requires an autograph, the consignee is not going to have a clue and, for the most part, neither will the driver.

I had a similar incident when I was a young driver. I had a customer who home brewed his own beer and he had ordered some brewing yeast. I had no idea what it was but DRed it using the methods. Well, his dogs found the pkg and ate the contents and had to have their stomachs pumped. The guy bitched but there wasn't much he could do beyond that as we had done everything right.

I found out later that the dogs could have died.

H

hseofpayne

Storm, how many consignees do you think actually know (or care) what an ORM-D is? I had no clue what this was until I started working here. Of course, I now know that is stands for Other Regulated Material-Domestic, which are household products which are safe to be transported by ground but need hazmat papers if going by air. Unless the website from which the products are being ordered clearly states that this product is ORM-D and the shipper requires an autograph, the consignee is not going to have a clue and, for the most part, neither will the driver.

I had a similar incident when I was a young driver. I had a customer who home brewed his own beer and he had ordered some brewing yeast. I had no idea what it was but DRed it using the methods. Well, his dogs found the pkg and ate the contents and had to have their stomachs pumped. The guy bitched but there wasn't much he could do beyond that as we had done everything right.

I found out later that the dogs could have died.

So you gave his dogs a yeast infection and a beer gut?!! Suprised PETA didn't get involved on this one! I have had a few Omaha Steaks pkgs eaten up and countless numbers of those JC Penney, Victorias Secret bags ripped to shreds. After it happens once, it depends on how the customer acts as to what I do in the future. If thet are cool about it, I find a better place to leave pkgs, but if they raise Caine at me, they sign for all there future deliveries.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
So you gave his dogs a yeast infection and a beer gut?!! Suprised PETA didn't get involved on this one! I have had a few Omaha Steaks pkgs eaten up and countless numbers of those JC Penney, Victorias Secret bags ripped to shreds. After it happens once, it depends on how the customer acts as to what I do in the future. If thet are cool about it, I find a better place to leave pkgs, but if they raise Caine at me, they sign for all there future deliveries.

UPStater/HSEoP
It probably wouldn't be good if I mentioned the dog probably eventually made really good beer, eh? Yeah your right...that is gross....

*moved on*...poor dog!

drewed

Shankman
UPStater/HSEoP
It probably wouldn't be good if I mentioned the dog probably eventually made really good beer, eh? Yeah your right...that is gross....

*moved on*...poor dog!

uhhh storm, storm, storm.......lol

but seriouly maybe there should be procedure for ormd that requires a sig...it was a dog in this case but what about the curious 9 yr old that comes home from school and brings a package in and its bullets, or dry ice or anyother ormd.....what would we be saying then?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

uhhh storm, storm, storm.......lol

but seriouly maybe there should be procedure for ormd that requires a sig...it was a dog in this case but what about the curious 9 yr old that comes home from school and brings a package in and its bullets, or dry ice or anyother ormd.....what would we be saying then?

The silence would be deafening.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Drew has a very good point. Up until this thread posted I had not considered the possibility of damages that could be incurred from an ORM-D. At least in this situation. It is bad enough that an animal was killed, but what if it was a child?

I know I said earlier that it was the customers responsibility (I still stand by that) but what of our responsibility? I am just asking. Don't get all excited. Will this change your mind as to where and how you DR ORM-D's.

I will have to contemplate this.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In a real world, there is a risk to everything we do.

We try to minimize the risk as much as possible, but to eliminate the risk is impossible.

Then there is the idea of individual responsibility. Both of the shipper and the consignee. You as the consignee know that you have dogs roaming free in the yard. You also order what you wish, knowing that UPS or any other of the delivery companies, will deliver it to your door, and leave it there.

You know what you are getting, you ordered it. The company that ships it to you is trying to save you money and time. So they do not place a signature required sticker on the package.

Without the sticker, the driver has no knowledge of what he is delivering. None of our business, unless it is something blatantly illegal. We are in the delivery business, not snooping and regulating.

So we do our job, and do it well. We can not, nor do we accept any blame for the oversight or stupidity of the customer or the shipper.

To totally protect both from any kind of issues that might occur would not only drive us out of business, but hinder the free and rapid movement of goods.

There is no way possible to protect each and every customer and their dogs, cats birds fish, kids etc etc etc, from every possible risk of harm.

Do things by the book, and let UPS take care of the issues with the customer.

d

filthpig

A FedEx gal on my old route got her teat bit off when a chow came out of a house and got her. She got like 50k for that. Not enough to me.