Driver Beware!

gandydancer

I think you should change your screen name to Red Jr, or maybe Little Red, or maybe Red Is My Idol. You should be careful that Red doesn't stop too quickly as you may end up with a broken nose.

Both Red and I work for a UPS where suspending a driver for getting rearended is non-unexpected management misbehavior. You work for a company where management arbitrarily calling it "Tier 3" justifies the suspension. I'll leave it to others to decide which world is the real one. Apparently you should change your handle to TieGuyIsRightAlways.

browned out

I don't know if they're trying to establish a new precedent, what could they be thinking? Last week I had and incident with a dog. She ran into the street as I was passing the house and attempted to bite a tire. She tumbled along the side of the package car and scraped her chin and rear leg, was otherwise uninjured (had I not been working extremely safe she would probably be a memory now...I was moving slowly and using all applicable habits.) Anyway, the owner was in the yard, saw the whole thing, said she shouldn't have been in the road. Previous bid driver has had the same dog run under his moving package car twice (I was unaware of this before).
Anyway, I was extremely shaken. I waited until I finished speaking with the owner (gave him my name & # so he could let me know how the pup did at the vet, only scrapes as I said), and fell apart on my way back to the package car, not knowing what kind of injuries she had. She was limping favoring a rear leg and peed on herself. I am a die-hard dog lover and I know how rapidly they can decline after injury. I boo-hood like a toddler and called my on-car to tell him about the incident. Also called my hubby. I then proceeded to safely finish my route, crying for an hour until the owner called me to tell me the dog was fine. He also said that his dog fence was broken and that he would fix it during his vacation this past week.
All of this was Friday. On Monday management tried to get me to sign something called and Auto Crash Investigation Report. I refused. I had a two hour safety ride and had to complete a Tier 1 Assessment. Tuesday I was threatened with discipline, until of course I called a steward in. I signed the darn thing under protest and attached my own statement just to stop their harrassment.
By the way, there is a leash law in our county.
I think I deserve a pat on the back for working safely, avoiding serious injury to this furry little law-breaker, and acting professionally in light of the extreme stress the incident placed on my psyche. Instead I get an accident investigation because they say the man could lie and say I was on his property and sue for the vet bill. Hubby says they have opened themselves up to a law suit from the guy BY investigating it as an accident (rather than an incident). And I gave them the man's number and address and asked them Monday what kind of investigation were they conductiong that didn't include speaking with the dog owner? They said it wasn't necessary b/c I spoke with him.
Tuesday the previous bid driver attempted to tell them about his experiences with the dog running under his truck. He was told, "Stay out of it."
I am a good driver, good employee. Well, two years safe driving and run about 20 over scratch. Management, my co-workers and customers tend to like me. Why are they after me? At least that's how it feels...
The grievance will contain the words harrassment and discrimination, among many others. Discrimination because I have found many drivers over the past week that have hit and killed dogs (keeping in mind that I didn't even hit this one, she attacked my truck!) and never been put through all of this. <----Harrassment, because the whole thing shoulda been dropped once they determined the dog was in the street. And if they don't trust my word, they should have called the owner.
Any comments welcome. I'm puzzled and down right shocked. Thanks in advance for your time.

As others have stated "this is standard UPS operating procedure." In our center a driver hit and killed a dog that ran out in front of his pkg car on the street. Management tried to disipline him for unneccessarily pulling into a driveway. He said he was not in the driveway. Upon further investigation it was found by bloodstains in the street; that the driver was never in the driveway. CYA

Hi Hubrat. Management always blames the driver for everything. They always try to punish the driver even though the driver did nothing wrong and followed their methods. File your greivance. Don't resolve it. Soon the members of management in your center will leave and you'll have a whole new batch of pukes who don't know of the greivance you filed with the last jerks. And by the way, we have a leash law her too, but it doesn't matter: if a dog runs under our truck, it's our fault. Not the owners fault for failing to observe the leash law.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Well, UPS deemed the whole thing unavoidable, or so says my center manager. I SHOULD'VE filed numerous grievances, but my husband and I are caring for an extremely ill relative and I decided that I don't have the time or energy for their petty crap. Let 'em document whatever they wanna, they know I was not responsible for the incident and their butt-covering paperwork really makes them look like idiots. I've got a file on them, too, as I am sure many of us do. center manager and on-car and a few above them are just trying to keep their jobs right now, and I'm trying to DO mine in spite of them and their abuse. They are maltreated as well, and it seems to me that their jobs are in more jeopardy than mine. I almost feel sorry for them, but they make their own choices. If you're wearing big-boy britches now it's time to take a little responsibility for yourself. Stop mismanaging OUR company. Find something rational to focus on.
Jeez. Just prioritize. I'm not the problem!
Hourlies are the solid ground that this company stands on. Don't look down. #*It's rolling at you from up-hill.

Sincerest thanks for all of your wisdom and experience!

over9five

Staff member
Uhhh, unavoidable means they said you COULDN'T avoid it. They're saying it WASN'T your fault.

Unavoidable = good
Avoidable = bad

JonFrum

Uhhh, unavoidable means they said you COULDN'T avoid it. They're saying it WASN'T your fault.

Unavoidable = good
Avoidable = bad
Over, I think you misunderstood Hubrat's post. He is saying that Management finally concluded that the incident was unavoidable, after making fools of themselves trying to document a case that he was at fault. Hubrat is objecting to the unnecessary ordeal they put him through by their overreaction.

over9five

Staff member
Over, I think you misunderstood Hubrat's post. He is saying that Management finally concluded that the incident was unavoidable, after making fools of themselves trying to document a case that he was at fault. Hubrat is objecting to the unnecessary ordeal they put him through by their overreaction.

Oops, I see, thanks Jon.

Sorry Hubrat, got that wrong!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, I have already asked you once not to go personal.
Yes you did! And then you took a couple of more jabs directed at me, so you can kiss my :censored2:!

In your little world maybe you can get away with it, but not where i come from! I will call you out as i see fit! You do not like it, leave!

ih8tbrn

Banned
Yes you did! And then you took a couple of more jabs directed at me, so you can kiss my :censored2:!

In your little world maybe you can get away with it, but not where i come from! I will call you out as i see fit! You do not like it, leave!

LOL......Have a few more beers.

Pump Up The Volume

I signed the darn thing under protest and attached my own statement just to stop their harrassment.

Never sign anything at UPS. You cannot be forced to sign anything.

Since, you did be aware it is now a legal document.

At worst, an accumulation of your signed papers will lead to suspensions not termination.

A

anonymous6

You mention your steward was present. Was it his idea that you sign the ACI report? This is going on your record, file a grievance challenging their assessment of this situation.

was wondering the same thing. did they give you an ultimatem about signing or being fired?

file. period.

*********,there always right,know what to do when they write you up for hitting a dog with no leash and being the *********they are,tell them your going to call in an accident report because you hit the brakes too hard to avoid the dog and you pulled your back ,30,000 dollars to call in a injury? and go on comp for three weeks.Hahahahahahaha thats what I would do,wish there was a smile face I could insert.

Last edited by a moderator:

UPSNewbie

I signed the darn thing under protest and attached my own statement just to stop their harrassment.

Never sign anything at UPS. You cannot be forced to sign anything.

Since, you did be aware it is now a legal document.

At worst, an accumulation of your signed papers will lead to suspensions not termination.

Southern Region Supplement

Article 6

Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements

Except as may be otherwise provided in this agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such Agreement or document may not be placed in an employee's file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor may any such agreement or document nor the contents thereof be divulged to any person or entity.

Not sure where you are, but according to Art. 6.1, it becomes null and void. It is not a legal document.

filthpig

Geez Scratch, what did the cop say when your wife musta said "thats not what happened!"? I'm not sure how a cop can take a side unless he saw what happened. He's only there to report, not to be the Judge!
I would think the other lady admitting she was gabbing on the cell would be enough to convince a normal person that it was probably her fault.
If it was a male cop, bra size plays a huge role in what side they take.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
.................................. My wife was sitting still in traffic waiting for a redlight and was struck from behind in a minor fender bender. The other driver claimed my wife rolled backwards and hit her, she was on her cellphone talking to her husband and he was her witness. The police officer comes up and takes the other driver's word and writes up that my wife rolled back and hit her. Craziest thing I have ever heard, our insurance company is siding with us. I was wondering if the officer was a former supervisor with us.
Scratch, how did this turn out?