Driver Buyouts?

Johney

Only thing I see them saving money on with buyouts to older drivers is all the vacation time. Most of our older guys run better numbers than the rookies.:happy2: I don't believe we'll ever see any buyout.

brownthis

That would be great.. to get rid of a lot of the stale drivers would be good. You don't know how many times I have been asked to go and help another driver who is just plain lazy. If they worked as hard as I do then they wouldn't need help. One of the set backs to a seniority based company... when it's your turn it's your turn weather you can bring it to the table or not. I could go on all day. One guy was complaing about washing his windows for top rate in effect. I washed and rainex my windows when needed.. just not a big deal. I make enough money to do it.. thanks to ups.

kingOFchester

That would be great.. to get rid of a lot of the stale drivers would be good. You don't know how many times I have been asked to go and help another driver who is just plain lazy. If they worked as hard as I do then they wouldn't need help. One of the set backs to a seniority based company... when it's your turn it's your turn weather you can bring it to the table or not. I could go on all day. One guy was complaing about washing his windows for top rate in effect. I washed and rainex my windows when needed.. just not a big deal. I make enough money to do it.. thanks to ups.

I hope you got a flame suit.....

Bad Gas!

You want a medal or a chest to pin it on?

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Well brownthis let me tell you it is people like me who built this company up to what it is today with our blood, sweat and tears. I have been in package car my whole career with the company and can keep up with or do better than most of the younger drivers. I also don't call in sick on Mondays and Fridays on a regular basis. I'm a circle of honor driver. My customers love me. I work more hours than most in my center and don't whine and snivel about it like some. I will go out and help others way before they would come out and help me. This company is full of drivers just like me. So before you call senior drivers stale you should maybe look at the younger drivers who are not yet RIPE but think they are all that. I won't do another peak season but would like to go out with some respect for all that I have sacrificed giving the best years of my life and missing out on many of my MOST IMPORTANT STOPS lives while doing it. I know UPS won't do a buyout but it sounds good and stirrs up the pot some hu!

Dislike

Bad Gas!

Do you want a metal or a chest to pin it on...Let me know?

bumped

Nothing holds more true than...

The 1st 10 years you run.
The 2nd 10 years you walk.
and
The 3rd 10 years you crawl.

I'm walking now, and can still remember the running years. But, I'm dreading the crawling years.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Nothing holds more true than...

The 1st 10 years you run.
The 2nd 10 years you walk.
and
The 3rd 10 years you crawl.

I'm walking now, and can still remember the running years. But, I'm dreading the crawling years.
Hey, you stole that quote from me.......how about giving me some credit......look at my name...BROWN BOMBER.....this has been my sign on quote since 2009...........can I sue for copyright infringement ????
UpState, you seem to be the resident know-it-all....any suggestions ??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think we will see driver buyouts. I will use my local as an example. Our pension plan is in trouble. If UPS did offer driver buyouts for drivers with 25 or more years of service our local would have to adjust the pension plan to allow those employees to begin drawing their pension, which would put a strain on the plan to the point where it may become insolvent. I think UPS will try to save on the other end by introducing a two-tiered wage system for new FT seniority drivers as part of their contract proposal for 2013. Drivers who get their seniority on or after the date of ratification would start at a lower wage, have a longer progression with a lower top out. I think the company will offer a signing bonus to try to get this implemented.

bumped

I don't think we will see driver buyouts. I will use my local as an example. Our pension plan is in trouble. If UPS did offer driver buyouts for drivers with 25 or more years of service our local would have to adjust the pension plan to allow those employees to begin drawing their pension, which would put a strain on the plan to the point where it may become insolvent. I think UPS will try to save on the other end by introducing a two-tiered wage system for new FT seniority drivers as part of their contract proposal for 2013. Drivers who get their seniority on or after the date of ratification would start at a lower wage, have a longer progression with a lower top out. I think the company will offer a signing bonus to try to get this implemented.

Don't you think that your pension plan is in trouble because it pays out $5000/month (I believe that is what you said) rather than the $3100/month I'm projected to get?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't you think that your pension plan is in trouble because it pays out $5000/month (I believe that is what you said) rather than the $3100/month I'm projected to get?

That's part of the problem--the big part is we have about 5,000 more retirees than actives. Ours is a multi-employer pension fund which includes YRC among its members. This also hurts the fund.

Our most recent retiree told me he brings home about $4,400/month. (This was before his divorce--he now takes home about 1/2 of that)

UPSGUY72

Maybe you need to work longer a little longer in order to get a little more.