Driver Buyouts?

ups clerk

i got hired full time in nov 89. i remember a short while after getting that bonus and using it to get my first apartment. so it was either 90 or 91. back in the day of 3 yr contracts

Actually, it was the '82 and '85 contracts that offered signing bonuses. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered one in this upcoming contract. Remember, this will be the last time that Scott Davis will be able to screw us with Hoffa doing the negoitations. Hoffa will take the money offered by UPS, and run, just like Jackie Presser, Roy Fitzminnons and all the other mob guys did.
A signing bonus is a bribe. The last two contracts, UPS managers were having PCM's to talk us into voting for the contract. Look for that to happen again. Sigh...unfortunatley, people follow like sheep. If they offer the signing bonus you can bet new-hires and other young kids will vote to get the money and then quit. They have nothing vested in the company so why not take the money. I would.

Johney

Actually, it was the '82 and '85 contracts that offered signing bonuses. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered one in this upcoming contract. Remember, this will be the last time that Scott Davis will be able to screw us with Hoffa doing the negoitations. Hoffa will take the money offered by UPS, and run, just like Jackie Presser, Roy Fitzminnons and all the other mob guys did.
A signing bonus is a bribe. The last two contracts, UPS managers were having PCM's to talk us into voting for the contract. Look for that to happen again. Sigh...unfortunatley, people follow like sheep. If they offer the signing bonus you can bet new-hires and other young kids will vote to get the money and then quit. They have nothing vested in the company so why not take the money. I would.
You are incorrect. The 90/91 contract did offer a $1000 signing bonus for full-time and a $500 for part-time.