Driver canned for roll-away

satellitedriver

the driver should be canned for failure to follow the proper methods to prevent that from happenning, but somehow, the union slugs will get him his job back
You do not have all the facts of this case, but you are willing to cast thumbs down without the full knowledge of what happened.
Any number of mechanical failures could have occurred beyond the control of the driver.
There is an old saying that applies to your mentality.
Diagnosis without examination is malpractice.
PAX

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Several drivers and myself watched an Oncar pull a truck out of the building and take the mechanics cabinet with it. I thought these people were perfect.

Big Babooba

You do not have all the facts of this case, but you are willing to cast thumbs down without the full knowledge of what happened.
Any number of mechanical failures could have occurred beyond the control of the driver.
There is an old saying that applies to your mentality.
Diagnosis without examination is malpractice.
PAX
We had a roll away caused when the parking brake cable snapped. Even though the truck was in gear it still rolled. The driver got a warning letter for not properly curbing the wheels. He cut them the wrong way. We also had another driver who had one get away. He eventually went into supervision.

moodaddy247

I can't drive 55
I remember hearing bout a driver (PC) letting it roll into the fuel island.. in cinti; however, we never heard anything more about it...

perhaps it was.. see no evil, hear no evil.....:funny:

I would expect to get fired for a roll away accident. At least until it is investigated. Just like being pulled out of service for a tier 1 accident. A few years ago I heard rumors of firings for backing accidents.

typicalunionslugs1

Typicalunionslugs1
It's obvious that Jesus Christ himself is posting on this board! I say this because this person is obviously perfect!!

Nope never said I was perfect, just use to you guys doing as little as possible. I will say that about 20% of my employees are excellent, the rest are slugs. Just do your job and everything would be great. I hope you guys have wonderful day, but it is very funny to see all of you get so riled up..... Ya'll wouldn't be so defensive if you didn't know it was true.

BURMDPsupe

In my past experience, all roll-aways are subjected to an immediate termination. What happens after the termination is between the driver, BA and center manager.

...I will say that about 20% of my employees are excellent, the rest are slugs.

As a full-time supervisor, I hate to see/hear comments like this. It is my responsibility to make my employees successful (proper training, tools/equipment, motivation, etc). In my experience (operations and on-road), 10% of the workforce is exceptional, 80% average and 10% under-performers.

M-

filthpig

Nope never said I was perfect, just use to you guys doing as little as possible. I will say that about 20% of my employees are excellent, the rest are slugs. Just do your job and everything would be great. I hope you guys have wonderful day, but it is very funny to see all of you get so riled up..... Ya'll wouldn't be so defensive if you didn't know it was true.
Champ, if 80% of the company's employees were "slugs" we wouldn't be the company we are. And you better hope that I'm right, because my job is protected by a contract. If the economy goes in the crapper much more, you and a lot of your management butt-buddies are going to be in the cheese line.

raceanoncr

I picked up a pup last night for BURMD!

(Was that off topic???)

Well, I would suggest you put him back!!! That pup probably belongs to somebody and here you come along and steal him!!!! His owners are most likely at their wits end right now wondering what happened to him!!! :sad-very:

browniehound

Typicalslug,
You may be right, but I believe in my heart you are wrong and making this up to stir the pot. But, I'll go along with your argument. If your statement holds water for the union employees it most definitely will be the case with management employees also. Just on the fact that all management employees were part of the union prior to getting a "bump" up.

Seriously, are you really making such broad assumptions? Maybe the reason 80% of your employees are slugs is because you are a bad manager (you know, in that bottom 80% you are talking about)? Did you ever think of that? I didn't think so.

In the way we perform our job, I don't think there is much difference in effort between management and union employees. So I assume you are implying that 80% of your colleages are slugs also?

Thats funny, because I'm sure you smile and joke with them everyday while you kiss you DM ass everyday.

I think the other post about 10% great, 80% average, and 10% idiots are more the reality. But the 80% average of UPSers (hourly and mangement) is significantly a more harder worker than the average american. At least, thats MY opinion.

I base this on the fact of delivering out in the real world and seeing many people at their jobs. My guess is the majority of them couldn't do my job or my supervisor's job based on pure effort.

My opinion is the majority of UPS employees (union, non-union, and management) work harder than most of the population. I will even say the management commitee does an outstanding job year after year, decade after decade. I don't know much about them or how they compare with their counterparts in corporate america, but I do know that they know how to make money! Just look our bottom line year after year!

If I were to start my own business today I would copy the same principles UPS applies in their everyday operation.

HazMatMan

You should change your name to typicalmanagementthug. Come to Metro New York, you would be chewed up and spit out into the Hudson.