Driver canned for roll-away

over9five

Staff member
"Too much Giselle on his mind."

Nothin' wrong wit' dat! I bet she made him feel all better after the game!

(how's your wife/gf lookin'???)

Tony31yrs

BURMDPsupe, you sound like one of the supes that I didn't mind working for-reasonable, listened to the drivers concerns, realistic about expectaions. Most drivers would work together more when we had a supe like this. Drivers would get more involved with safety and the running of the center.
Unfortunately, too many of the management are overly ambitious, power-hungry tyrants who think that they get more production with gestapo-like tactics. This works for guys that they can intimidate and usually injuries and accidents go up. Typicalunionslug and others like him, don't realize how drivers screw them because they won't go out of their way at work when they come to work miserable or with a knot in their stomachs. Often a District Manager finally comes in and sees this and the supe gets transferred to become someone else's problem.

Last edited:

HazMatMan

"Too much Giselle on his mind."

Nothin' wrong wit' dat! I bet she made him feel all better after the game!

(how's your wife/gf lookin'???)

After getting pummeled by the Big Blue Wrecking Crew I don't think Tom was in the mood...Even with a Woman like Giselle...
Why do you assume I have a wife or girlfriend?? I may have a significant other..

Tony31yrs

Yeah, but if you have the money why give it away? Ask Travis Henry with his 9 kids in 6 states. He had to get an advance on his paycheck.

BURMDPsupe

...unfortunately, too many of the management are overly ambitious, power-hungry tyrants who think that they get more production with gestapo-like tactics.

I know this situation all too well; I've been on the receiving end of a few supervisors/managers that were on power trips. My personal work philosophy is "Fair and Firm." I just find it a lot easier to have good working relationships with my employees, both union and non-union; plus in my case, it yields good results (above average ERI score, 0 accidents/injuries in the last 21 months, increased PPH, etc). Unfortunately for me, I have a DM who is from the "old school" and doesn't like my work philosophy--go figure.

M-

705red

Browncafe Steward
Nope never said I was perfect, just use to you guys doing as little as possible. I will say that about 20% of my employees are excellent, the rest are slugs. Just do your job and everything would be great. I hope you guys have wonderful day, but it is very funny to see all of you get so riled up..... Ya'll wouldn't be so defensive if you didn't know it was true.
Remember we are only as good as our management team! If only 20% of your staff is up to par maybe if you look in the mirror you will see why your operation is so poor.

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
IT DON'T SEEM RIGHT BUT THE DRIVERS WHO LIE ABOUT SETTING BRAKE, PUTTING IN GEAR AND ROLL AWAY HAVE A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF COMING BACK THAN THOSE WHO SIMPLY ADMIT THEY MADE A MISTAKE.....GO FIGURE

over9five

Staff member
It don't seem right that management would assume the driver was lying about setting the E-brake, when it would be so easy for some idiot walking by to simply reach in and release it.

FromBluetoBrown

What kind of person just walks by a sitting package car and releases the handbrake?? I have a heard time believing there are people out there just saying to themselves "Hmmm there is an unmanned UPS truck sitting here with thousands of dollars of stuff in the back but I think I'll just mess with the hand brake instead". I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it boggles my mind there are people out there like that.

moreluck

golden ticket member
From B. to B......I can visualize this happening where young kids 15-17 are bored. Kids today are always doing things that don't make any sense and they never consider the consequences.

Fnix

I used to do stuff like that. Well I never put peoples lives in danger but I use to do stuff that was mean. When I was a kid looking for a car to buy I would take it for a test drive with the seller and then I would drive it into an empty parking lot and get out and look at it some more and then quickly jump in lock the doors and drive the vehicle away and park it somewhere. Making the seller have to walk back home and then find a vehicle.

filthpig

The driver that I started this thread about got his job back after a 3 week suspension.
That said, our center manager (who I respect and trust) said in the PCM meeting (without ever mentioning the driver by name) that there are certain things which UPS fires you for no matter what. That's just the way it is. I understand this policy because some infractions are more serious and can have dire repercussions (such as a roll-away).
The reason some people get their job back and others don't has to do with the driver's reputation. If you're a good guy, not always "in the office" and do your job, you stand a better chance than the guy who calls in all the time, is on every report and doesn't give management the respect they deserve. It's the way the world works, and if you don't understand this then you're going to have a very difficult time.
And as for giving management "the respect they deserve" that also falls under the category of "the way things work". Whether I like it or not, these guys are my bosses and if I don't treat them respect I'm going to have a hard time.