Driver/Dispatcher Bashing Time

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Dave is a funny guy.

And, in a month or two, he'll be back removing all his 'disagrees' from this thread.
image.jpg

Browntown2014

It's not nearly as bad as everyone here is making it out to be. The key is to work with the team member, not against him/her. When they offer a suggested solution that you may not agree with offer them an alternate solution that you think may work better. Take advantage of the time that you have them on the car to get your route optimized as you do not want to wait until they leave to have your center team do it.

The Orion team member that rode with me drove for 4 months during Peak. He was a 23 year old "go getter" who is trying to become an ORS. He laughed when I pointed out that my kids are 27 and 30 and that I have a 7 month old granddaughter. We worked well together and my Orion setup was nearly stop for stop the following day.

There are several things that he mentioned which may pertain to us all. First, UPS spent a lot of money on this technology and it is not going anywhere. We can either embrace it or continue to fight it. Second, the system is designed to reward saved miles with more stops. Third, Orion is to be used as a tool and should not be followed stop for stop. Following Orion 100% would be considered sabotage.

I was at 78% on my first day alone on Orion. Our center manager expects a minimum of 85%. I guess I have a little work to do.

Lol, you said after your ride along your Orion route was setup stop for stop then later you said you only hit 78% Orion trace. Lie much?

Overpaid Union Thug

A 23 year old kid with 4 months minimal driving experience setting up your route "solution ". And you don't see how that could go horribly wrong?

That's the problem with Orion. It's being implemented by people with no real experience doing the job.

Some things you might want to know too. Less miles does mean more stops but Orion also looks at what time you get back to building. Get off early? Well expect more work next day. Have time gaps in your day not accounted for? Expect more stops to fill those in. And my favorite, the whole stop before lunch and after have to be right where you take lunch. So basically if you eat at home, better show a stop on your street and one after. That was a big push with the Orion "team".

Also when they leave, expect your solutions to get worse. Your center manager will be under pressure to cut routes and have everyone run Orion 85%. So if you get off before 7, that will end as you will get more work than before. If your Edd trace is messed up, Orion makes it worse. If it is good, Orion will push you to do resi stops in front of businesses so you'll "run" to make business stops. If your business stops say close at 5pm, watch it put you there around 4 with a lot of resi before that so you'll always be "under pressure ".

But maybe not in the BOG.

Lets no forget that a pretrip isn't factored into the solution. Nor is traffic or the time it ACTUALLY takes to deliver bulk stops. And the whole lunch thing......screw them. We have DOT laws that protect us from having to comply with a computer program telling us to pull over in a neighborhood to eat a sack lunch in our truck while the heat index is 111.