Driver Doing On Road Observations

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The "Saftey Committee" is made up of two types of people.

1) The greedy types that join so that they can start early and hold a clip board to pad their OT. This is why I call it the "Overtime Committee"

2) Your classic brown nosing types.
There is (or at least used to be) a third variety known as the "I put my letter in for management and I need to kiss ass and look good so they will pick me" type.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
All but one safety guy in our center I do not to speak with as they are known ball washers. 80% are there for days off and the 15min report to work for insurance purposes, 10% are there for management promotions, 10% are there just because they wanna be management's coffee girls.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You can not be punished for anything seen by a union employee doing observations, even if he is with a member of management.

Article 18
Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees

(4th paragraph)
Bargaining unit members may not perform Safety Committee observations of fellow bargaining unit members that can be inter- preted as being a management role. Safety Committee observations shall only be performed to further the purposes of that Committee as defined in this section and to promote a safer work environment. Activities will be reviewed with the Local Union. Under no cir- cumstances can the results of a Safety Committee observation be used in any level of discipline, nor reference any individual bar- gaining unit member.

You can not be punished for anything seen by a union employee doing observations, even if he is with a member of management.

Article 18

(4th paragraph)
Bargaining unit members may not perform Safety Committee observations of fellow bargaining unit members that can be inter- preted as being a management role. Safety Committee observations shall only be performed to further the purposes of that Committee as defined in this section and to promote a safer work environment. Activities will be reviewed with the Local Union. Under no cir- cumstances can the results of a Safety Committee observation be used in any level of discipline, nor reference any individual bar- gaining unit member.
Give them both "the finger" when you drive past!

9.5er

Give them both "the finger" when you drive past!
I did exactly that a few months ago. One of our safety guys was out riding around on his personal vehicle. I was covering his route and saw him coming up behind me. When he pulled up beside me I flipped him the bird before I realized he had someone riding with him.
Never heard a word from anyone so they must have thought it was as funny as I did.

UPSGUY72

Just saw a fellow driver and union member doing intersection observations. He's part of the safety committee but I was just wondering how everyone here felt about a driver doing a supervisors job. I feel like he's working against his fellow Union members and shouldn't be doing observations.

Notify your Steward and call your BA yourself immediately. Are safety committee was disbanded for a good year and a half after an incident similar to that.

Safety committee members shouldn't be doing any observations on fellow union employees that is what management gets paid for. Union members are part of the safety committee so the union has some input into making working condition safer not to spy on fellow union employees.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They have their work, we have ours, its pretty simple. We file on them for doing ours, what do they do when we do theirs. More nothing, thats what. More time to follow little dots around and scrutinize how long it takes us to do something, they cant even remember doing.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'd rather a member of safety committee (at least the ones who actually know what they're doing)roll up to me and say what he noticed one on one than a member of management see it.
While some take it the wrong way others see it as a union member looking out for another BEFORE they get in a pinch. If they prefer not to listen then so be it.
That's something different. It's one thing to go to someone as a steward or brother and say hey, listen...not for nothin' but knock that off or you're gonna get jammed up. It's a completely different thing to do observations (that are seen by management) on your brothers & sisters.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I was on TAW after I hurt my shoulder, they had me grading tests, checking off on paperwork and one of the things they wanted me to do was observe in the yard. Miraculously, everyone passed 100% that day. There is no way I'd write up another hourly employee.

Driver7906

The "Saftey Committee" is made up of two types of people.

1) The greedy types that join so that they can start early and hold a clip board to pad their OT. This is why I call it the "Overtime Committee"

2) Your classic brown nosing types.

There is also the type who join the safety committee simply so that they don't have to work everyday. There is a guy in the center I work for who does safety several times a week and rarely does routes.

WESLA

It is what it is
Safety isn't just a company thing, it's also a union thing. I tell everybody that ups may not care about your safety, but you have everything on your side if you want to work safe. The choice is yours.
I wouldn't make observations on a fellow teamster.
I'm a steward and on the safety committee. Someone questioned me about that move and my answer was and always will be "keep your friends close and your enemies closer", so when you look at managements involvement and demand for safety, it's really not all that bad of a move.

10 point

Article 18

(4th paragraph)
The center manager says "we don't know any of the names associated with these daily observation reports".....except that the safety snitch called the OMS and asked where driver Johnny Smith is for the next few stops. Not a give away at all.

IMO the deal is this: We can work as if mgmnt is on car and do the right thing every day but having a fellow employee sneaking around to observe your work habits creates animosity toward that self righteous snitch...I mean individual...and that sometimes creates a hostile work environment.
Our experience is that safety cochairs often have a poor safety record and very few drivers respect the safety committee because of that.

The committee was supposed to help the employees work safer not so we can read about changing batteries in smoke alarms while you use the urinal or provide peanuts to munch on during the PCM.
I guess that's easier than making sure your PCar windows are cleaned daily.

A couple of things have happened here the last couple of days at work that have made me look at the "Union Brother" statement in a different light.

It's dawned on me that if someone was truly a "Union Brother" then they would not be doing things that playce another "Union Brother" in an awkward position in the first place.

A Union is not a skirt to hide behind after you cut corners or friend-up.

stepitup

My center's safety chair loves to do observations. She jumps in her car with an OMS (mgmt person) and rides up to the most common intersection. What she observes may not be able to be used against you but what the OMS sees definitely can. They are best buds in their everyday lives. She has managed to get our union steward fired for harassment because of all of the complaints and grievances he has filed against her because of her special treatment. Ironically, she is on the safety committee for life as a condition of employment due to a roll away accident years ago. She has one of the worst safety records in the building. Our district manager watched her go through an intersection talking on the phone, with her bulkhead door open drinking a soda. <sigh>

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
My center's safety chair loves to do observations. She jumps in her car with an OMS (mgmt person) and rides up to the most common intersection. What she observes may not be able to be used against you but what the OMS sees definitely can. They are best buds in their everyday lives. She has managed to get our union steward fired for harassment because of all of the complaints and grievances he has filed against her because of her special treatment. Ironically, she is on the safety committee for life as a condition of employment due to a roll away accident years ago. She has one of the worst safety records in the building. Our district manager watched her go through an intersection talking on the phone, with her bulkhead door open drinking a soda. <sigh>

She was "multi tasking."