Driver Doing On Road Observations

raceanoncr

My tenure, yrs ago, as a Safety Comm. member was pretty short-lived.

Never did observations. Was asked to assess an employee injury that was outstate. They were trying to nail employee with a menu of violations, probably in order to not pay Dis, don't know. Not to go into details here, although I will if you want, just don't think anyone cares:

I pointed out list of violations on COMPANY'S part, in addition to other safety concerns that the company should attend to that would have prevented this injury. Exam: broken pavement, uneven surfaces, poor lighting, improper tools for the job, other unauthorized persons CAUSING the problem, etc.

Case was closed. Problems were never fixed. I was off Safety Committee. Bummer.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My center's safety chair loves to do observations. She jumps in her car with an OMS (mgmt person) and rides up to the most common intersection. What she observes may not be able to be used against you but what the OMS sees definitely can. They are best buds in their everyday lives. She has managed to get our union steward fired for harassment because of all of the complaints and grievances he has filed against her because of her special treatment. Ironically, she is on the safety committee for life as a condition of employment due to a roll away accident years ago. She has one of the worst safety records in the building. Our district manager watched her go through an intersection talking on the phone, with her bulkhead door open drinking a soda. <sigh>

With the new contract you can change this. Get your BA and other union members moving. We will be having some changes on our safety committee soon because of this.

Article 18
Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees

(third paragraph)
The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees. The Union co-chair of the committee(s) shall be selected by the bargaining unit members of the committee. In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I did exactly that a few months ago. One of our safety guys was out riding around on his personal vehicle. I was covering his route and saw him coming up behind me. When he pulled up beside me I flipped him the bird before I realized he had someone riding with him.
Never heard a word from anyone so they must have thought it was as funny as I did.
:oops: lol

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
as a safety guy in our center i would make sure that NONE of our safety committee people gave names or truck numbers on vehicles during the exit audits i would post a notification near the diad rack,pcm it, and let we would raffle off stuff for 100% score and we always got 100%. i figured the more money i could get spent on the drivers the better.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This is bad advice. I had a supervisor threaten to write me up for unsafe driving because I spotted him on area following me and hiding and waved to him. He said my not having both hands was unsafe and putting myself and others at danger. Such a tool.
Wow...seriously...nothing like a sup grasping at straws to hand out discipline. So...if you were driving a manaul PC that day...do they expect you to keep both hands on the wheel and shift with your d***? Lol just sayin....

10 point

as a safety guy in our center i would make sure that NONE of our safety committee people gave names or truck numbers on vehicles during the exit audits i would post a notification near the diad rack,pcm it, and let we would raffle off stuff for 100% score and we always got 100%. i figured the more money i could get spent on the drivers the better.
Not our job to audit fellow employees. Excuses are lame and observing hourly employees without being a sup is not in our job description unless it's under "driver training driver" on a route for coverage.

Management doesn't need your help.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
My center's safety chair loves to do observations. She jumps in her car with an OMS (mgmt person) and rides up to the most common intersection. What she observes may not be able to be used against you but what the OMS sees definitely can. They are best buds in their everyday lives. She has managed to get our union steward fired for harassment because of all of the complaints and grievances he has filed against her because of her special treatment. Ironically, she is on the safety committee for life as a condition of employment due to a roll away accident years ago. She has one of the worst safety records in the building. Our district manager watched her go through an intersection talking on the phone, with her bulkhead door open drinking a soda. <sigh>

The only way this lady can get away with this is because the drivers in this center let her get away with it.

I'd file Article 18 and 37 grievances against her, continuously, and for redress, ask for her to be removed from the safety committee, or promoted into management. If you had a large number of drivers file these grievances against her, it would force both the union, and management's hands.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In the 27 years that I have been with UPS, I have yet to see one tangible accomplishment on the part of our "safety committee".

I've seen lots of doughnuts and posters, and I've heard lots of acronyms and buzz words, but when it comes to actually fixing safety issues they are essentially worthless.

UPS corporate policy is that the "safety committees" will not discuss or make any changes to our equipment, facilities, policies or procedures. The committees exist for one purpose, and that is to comply with an OSHA mandate. It is not expected, nor is it desired, that they will ever actually accomplish anything because accomplishments cost the company money.

"Safety committees" are an adult version of the Student Governments we used to have back in junior high school, in charge of posters and proms and deciding when Funny Hat day will be, and I'm pretty sure that most members are trying to make up for the fact that they didn't get to be Student Body Presidents or hall monitors.