Driver dropped my glass door

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Most likely,
The door was already broken before the driver dropped it.
It's possible but packaging specifications require that package be able to "survive" a fall of 30".
Regardless, it is impossible to determine when the contents were broken and your thoughts of "hiding" the evidence never crossed the driver's mind.

oldngray

nowhere special
how many packages could really survive that 30" drop? If all packages were done correctly UPS would have very few damages but proper packing takes more time and money, so most companies just eat a few claims or try to blame UPS. I had one customer where her package was damaged but I didn't notice until I had carried it to her porch. I didn't deliver it but she saw the damaged package and had a fit. She called in complaining about me not recording it as damaged then even after I told her I was not allowed to record as damaged and would give to a clerk that night to process. Some customers don't realize that while we don't like damages if a package is damaged the driver won't get any trouble about it so has absolutely no reason to try to hide a damage.

newfups

Glad it all worked out. It just took a bit of time for the tracking to get updated. Everyone followed proper procedure. To anyone that isn't on the inside at UPS, with the way that pkgs can be tracked everystep of the way through our system, it would be almost impossible for a driver to "hide," steal, or otherwise make a pkg go missing. I'm sure some have succeeded somehow, but a broken oven door is certainly not something to lose your job over. Again, glad it all worked out.

laffter

Don't blame the driver too much, it was probably already broken when it got to him. He maybe just broke it a little bit more.

True story ^

As a preloader, I would have kicked the crap out of your package as part of standard protocol.

Ms.PacMan

I used to deliver to a junk yard. They would tell customers in other states, who ordered windshields, that they would just break the windshield before they packaged it so the customer could at least save a few bucks from shipping it in a smaller box. lol

Hello all. First post. Wish it was under better circumstances, but here goes...so I ordered 2 items from sears direct, one was a glass door for my kitchen stove and the other a bottom brace for the door. I was about 7 houses down walking my dog when the ups truck stopped by my house. When he exited the truck carrying my glass stove door it slipped out of his hands and crashed to my driveway. The driver picked it back up and put it back into the truck and grabbed the bottom brace. He walked to my doorstep and let my girlfriend sign for the package without saying anything to her about the glass door. I was about two houses down when he got back into his truck and drove off. I didn't realize that it was my glass door he dropped until I seen the glass sparkling on my driveway. I called the ups store and notified them. We opened a claim and the person I spoke to said both packages were listed as delivered. I'm just stunned that this happened. So, I'm asking if you guys ever own up to your mistakes? Am I out a $150 glass stove door? What do you all recommend? Thanks all.
How did the door break in the first place? When did it break?

A driver will not damage your package on purpose. If he doesn't like you he might rub his junk on it but not break it.........on purpose.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A driver will not damage your package on purpose. If he doesn't like you he might rub his junk on it but not break it.........on purpose.
Lmao...I almost don't know which I'd rather be....the guy rubbing his junk on a filthy box covered in ups grime (that permanently stains my hands), or being the person receiving a package that the driver just tea bagged.

sigreq

Well, I did call sears right after I called ups 800 # and sears told me both packages are reported as received on my end. I think, and I haven't spoken to the ups DC area yet, that the driver is trying to hide the damage. I'm driving to the DC at 9. I'm not waiting for a phone call. I'll go directly to his supervisor, and if the driver denies any wrongdoing, there's got to be evidence in his truck. Frosted glass. I know there's is plenty on my driveway so there has to be some in his truck.

He's not gonna dump it somewhere. He knew it was broken and didn't want to deliver you a box with glass jingling around in the bottom of it so he is going to take it back to the building and they will do a damage claim on it. Yeah he probably should have told you all this, but you're going to get the same outcome, new door and hopefully butterfingers will not trip up trying not to step in that big pile of dog crap next time.

barnyard

KTM rider
how many packages could really survive that 30" drop?

I am friends with a guy on another message board. He manages the shipping department for a company. He trains all new hires how to package car parts so that they survive a 10 foot drop. Before a new hire is allowed to package stuff for shipping, he has them pack something, carry up some stairs and tells them to drop it. If the item survives the fall, they move on; is not, more training.

I will certainly grant that places that do that are rare.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I am friends with a guy on another message board. He manages the shipping department for a company. He trains all new hires how to package car parts so that they survive a 10 foot drop. Before a new hire is allowed to package stuff for shipping, he has them pack something, carry up some stairs and tells them to drop it. If the item survives the fall, they move on; is not, more training.

I will certainly grant that places that do that are rare.

My personal favorite is the shippers who take a small heavy steel parts and throw them in a crappy paper thin box way too big with no packing material and then wonder why the boxes fall apart and the contents get strewn across several states in the bottom of feeders and under conveyer belts.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think it was pretty crappy of the driver not to at least verbally aknowledge to the customer that he dropped and broke the package. Leaving the glass shards lying there on the ground was pretty lame also. I have dropped and broken packages before; at that point, simply accepting responsibilty for your mistake can go a long way towards minimizing any anger the customer might have towards the company.

FilingBluesFL

I think it was pretty crappy of the driver not to at least verbally aknowledge to the customer that he dropped and broke the package. Leaving the glass shards lying there on the ground was pretty lame also. I have dropped and broken packages before; at that point, simply accepting responsibilty for your mistake can go a long way towards minimizing any anger the customer might have towards the company.

I have to agree with the others, this was an entertaining thread to read, and glad the guy was cooling with a bit of fooling!

I guess it's just like pulling up to a house, grabbing a box, and finding a problem with it, then when you peek your head out to see if anyone's looking, and the customer is just staring you down...

It sucks, and I hate it. Especially when it's a problem a preloader created and/or could have fixed.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I think the driver was parched and could not speak at all! It's been close to 110 degrees for the past two weeks or so. He was making a bee-line back to his car just to get a drink of water.

Overpaid Union Thug

I promise I'm not just being a jerk when I say this but.........I think the lesson that should have been learned here is do not order or ship glass through ANY package delivery services. It's way too risky. Go to the store and buy it or try and get it delivered by a freight company or preferably the company's own delivery service. Packages are supposed to be PACKED and items such as glass doors, tvs, and any other large fragile items are rarely packed well or at all. Especially since the recession started. Many companies are cutting corners on shipping because they are trying to save money.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have to agree with the others, this was an entertaining thread to read, and glad the guy was cooling with a bit of fooling!

I guess it's just like pulling up to a house, grabbing a box, and finding a problem with it, then when you peek your head out to see if anyone's looking, and the customer is just staring you down...

It sucks, and I hate it. Especially when it's a problem a preloader created and/or could have fixed.
I agree....no one should load damaged packages. However, I lost track of the # of mangled packages I'll get down my slide, move them to the side and refuse to load them. My pt sup will smother it in tape (it's still just a mangled mess) and load it in my truck because he knows I won't do it. They don't care....they don't to deal with the customer.

Marlin3030hntr

Well until this guy is running a route and makes a mistake like this he has no room to speak of I had a resi stop that ordered 3 cases of salsa the other day and 1 of them smelled like 1 broke open inside but, no noise and no leakage and it was 108degrees ill claim ignorance since I couldn't be sure anything was broken, mistakes happen we are human when you're delivering 300+ packages a day eventually you're gonna make a mistake