Driver fired for falsifying timecard...

JustTired

free at last.......
I always have to laugh when the lunch thing comes up. Personally, I never had a problem taking personal time that I wasn't getting paid for. As I've said in the past....lunch was the highlight of my day.

Upstate.......what works for you is great. But.....when the day comes that they too, hold you to the letter of the contract...I hope you get a "heads up". Lunch breaks or rest periods (and their time-frames) are sometimes mandated by federal or state law. It's one thing to manipulate a company/union contractual policy. It's quite another when it is law. I wish no one ill-will.....but I see the lunch period and its' contractual time-frame just as important (if not more so) as any "method" and should be treated as such.

I came to look at breaks to be a safety thing more than anything. When you realize that...it becomes a lot easier to adhere to those rules/laws. After all, safety (both personal and others) should be the number one priority regardless of your occupation.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I always have to laugh when the lunch thing comes up. Personally, I never had a problem taking personal time that I wasn't getting paid for. As I've said in the past....lunch was the highlight of my day.

Upstate.......what works for you is great. But.....when the day comes that they too, hold you to the letter of the contract...I hope you get a "heads up". Lunch breaks or rest periods (and their time-frames) are sometimes mandated by federal or state law. It's one thing to manipulate a company/union contractual policy. It's quite another when it is law. I wish no one ill-will.....but I see the lunch period and its' contractual time-frame just as important (if not more so) as any "method" and should be treated as such.

I came to look at breaks to be a safety thing more than anything. When you realize that...it becomes a lot easier to adhere to those rules/laws. After all, safety (both personal and others) should be the number one priority regardless of your occupation.

Actually I would consider it more important than any method, Obviously if its important enough to be listed specifically in the contract!!

Actually I would consider it more important than any method, Obviously if its important enough to be listed specifically in the contract!!
Very true..
I, myself, have only recently discovered that one cannot go go go all day every day year after year without stopping to catch their breath for an entire career. At some point, you have to draw a line. I think sooner or later everyone comes to the same conclusion.

NHDRVR

I just assumed that everyones board was locked up at lunch time, is this not true? In california, oregon and washington it is.

No. That's first I heard of it. Also, I just recently learned about 'bonus drivers'. We don't have them up here either. I was also told, when I first started 20 years ago, that New England is one of the few areas that can wear their uniforms to/from work. I was told you have to change at the centers in other parts of the country. Oh well...

Omega man

I don't read what TOS has to say very often but this post caught my eye. TOS is dead on with this. Any driver that has been around for any length of time knows what the cardinal sins are, knows what the rules are. You can 'spin' the reason for stop completing while at lunch any way you want to but the fact remains, this is a dishonest act. Proven dishonesty deserves fair discipline according to procedures. Repeated proven dishonesty and you will never get your job back.

Everyone here (BC) knows that there is no standardization of rules across the country. We talk about it everyday. It is what it is. You do what your center requires if you want to keep your job. Here, I can take my lunch when ever. If I was somewhere else I would follow the rules in accordance to that center. You do what is required of you, where ever you are. That is the basic fact.

Hmmmm....... You do what your center requires? What about what your contract requires? Neither the management nor any driver in your center can violate the contract.

Omega man

I don't read what TOS has to say very often but this post caught my eye. TOS is dead on with this. Any driver that has been around for any length of time knows what the cardinal sins are, knows what the rules are. You can 'spin' the reason for stop completing while at lunch any way you want to but the fact remains, this is a dishonest act. Proven dishonesty deserves fair discipline according to procedures. Repeated proven dishonesty and you will never get your job back.

Everyone here (BC) knows that there is no standardization of rules across the country. We talk about it everyday. It is what it is. You do what your center requires if you want to keep your job. Here, I can take my lunch when ever. If I was somewhere else I would follow the rules in accordance to that center. You do what is required of you, where ever you are. That is the basic fact.

Reread your post. I guess what you mean is that your local doesn't have any supplemental language on lunch. Sorry. It's amazing how different things are in other parts of the country.

I just assumed that everyones board was locked up at lunch time, is this not true? In california, oregon and washington it is.

I think that is only in states where state law says you must start your lunch by a specified time. Drivers can't follow directions therefore ups had to lock out the board in those states.

NHDRVR

I think that is only in states where state law says you must start your lunch by a specified time. Drivers can't follow directions therefore ups had to lock out the board in those states.

What do you think is the bigger problem though? UPS/Teamsters agreeing to contractual language that says lunch between the 4th and 5th hour. Or, letting us act like the adults that we are and take my lunch when I choose to. I happen to take mine at my house at the end of the day. I have done it for years and it is common knowledge that I do so. The problem, as I see it, is that management isn't consistent with the discipline for those they choose to punish. You can't allow some drivers to do it and then hassle the others. If I was told to take my lunch per the contract by my boss then I would. Why make a big deal of a non-issue though?

What do you think is the bigger problem though? UPS/Teamsters agreeing to contractual language that says lunch between the 4th and 5th hour. Or, letting us act like the adults that we are and take my lunch when I choose to. I happen to take mine at my house at the end of the day. I have done it for years and it is common knowledge that I do so. The problem, as I see it, is that management isn't consistent with the discipline for those they choose to punish. You can't allow some drivers to do it and then hassle the others. If I was told to take my lunch per the contract by my boss then I would. Why make a big deal of a non-issue though?

I no longer live in a state that mandates when I take my lunch. I take my lunch when I choose, and as you say, I would take it per contract if instructed. I have never seen anyone disciplined for the time they take lunch until the state mandated it.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was also told, when I first started 20 years ago, that New England is one of the few areas that can wear their uniforms to/from work. I was told you have to change at the centers in other parts of the country. Oh well...
Years ago, I was involved with the testing of our EAM program in Boston. A couple of guys from Chicago were being shuttled around , doing a random test.
The plan was for selected parcels to be given to us at the airport, unfortunately there were not.
They were still in our normal air load, so that required a drive from the airport back to the building.
As we approached the building, the Chicago guy was amazed that the drivers were arriving in uniform, more like shocked.
I ended up being a tour guide for two days, since the test parcels were for businesses that never opened early.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I first start 21 yrs ago we changed at the bldg. That was then relaxed to allowing us to wear our shirts but having to change in to pants at the bldg. We are now allowed to come to work in uniform.

NHDRVR

When I first start 21 yrs ago we changed at the bldg. That was then relaxed to allowing us to wear our shirts but having to change in to pants at the bldg. We are now allowed to come to work in uniform.

We have 3 rooms (small) of lockers in our center and I think maybe 1 or 2 drivers actually use them. We aren't provided a cleaning service either although I was told at one time we once were...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have 3 rooms (small) of lockers in our center and I think maybe 1 or 2 drivers actually use them. We aren't provided a cleaning service either although I was told at one time we once were...

...which is why your uniform pants come with your name on them. And is also why you should deduct the cost of cleaning your own uniforms on your taxes, if you itemize. I use $10/week for this deduction.

over9five

Staff member
I have no problem with people taking lunch outside of the contractual time EXCEPT.....

If a cover driver does your route and takes his lunch when he is supposed to, does that piss off customers who now get their deliveries an hour later?

Does your cover driver who takes his lunch when he is supposed to now get beaten by management for being that hour behind?

If so, you guys are doing the wrong thing.