Driver fired on christmas eve....

rod

Retired 22 years
The were many times we were asked to go back out after returning to the building. The key word here is "asked". No one could be forced to--- according to our local rider. Yes I know things have changed----for the worse.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
That likely depends on if you've taken all of your break or not. At least that's how it is in my local.

If you're through with all your work and have taken all of your break then you can refuse but only then.

Yes. And THAT is why "Code 5" days do not exist to me.

I was done at 1700 yesterday w/ 1 hour break. I could have refused when they asked, but I was given off tomorrow so I did the right thing and helped them out.

Take your breaks/lunches people. You are a fool if you don't without good reason.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We were instructed in the morning to call before returning to the building. When I called I was instructed to go help a swing driver in a rental. I took 15 stops in an area I had never delivered. Got it done and called in again. This time they said bring it in. On my way to the freeway I saw another young guy in a rental so I stopped and asked how he looked. He said he had about an hour left but if he had had more I would have been happy to help.

instantK

A driver can not be disciplined for refusing to go back out after completing his/her full days work. Take the termination and in 4 working days file at the union hall, demanding full back pay and at the same time file for harassment! That is how to deal with the Management side of this equation.

On the brother worker side of the equation. The other drivers need to have a "talk" with this driver for his leaving a brother's ass out there twisting in the wind on X-Mass eve. We all have families!!

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/driver-fired-on-christmas-eve.359842/page-2#ixzz3MwV86khb

what does going back out mean exactly?
Finished delivering your last stop and on your way back you get the green light
or being back in the office getting ready to punch out and given the message togo back out?

oldngray

nowhere special
what does going back out mean exactly?
Finished delivering your last stop and on your way back you get the green light
or being back in the office getting ready to punch out and given the message togo back out?

Once you hit company property you are back at building.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
The problem I have is they have a computer that says exactly where everyone is at all times and what they have left. As much as I hate the green light of death that's what it's their for. Once I'm back that's it I'm done.

They rarely ask me to help though. I don't use my phone and make them set it all up through the board and messages. Usually not worth it to them.
Only 2 managers ever had my phone #and 1 of them passed away. (In my opinion from all the stress he had to endure.)

clean hairy

We don't know the entire story from the first post, so we have to guess.
Lets just guess the Driver got back into the building and had clocked out, then was told to go out and help another Driver.
I don't see how anyone could be fired for orders given on the Employees personal time.
If the Driver was on the clock, then it comes down to if he was ASKED or TOLD to go help another driver.
Hope someone can post more info on what happened, as the original post is just too vague.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes. And THAT is why "Code 5" days do not exist to me.

I was done at 1700 yesterday w/ 1 hour break. I could have refused when they asked, but I was given off tomorrow so I did the right thing and helped them out.

Take your breaks/lunches people. You are a fool if you don't without good reason.
If you hadn't worked 8 hours here even with all break taken you could be sent back out.

Omega man

I always had zero hours left by Christmas. Many times it was achieved by helping the new guy covering the part of my route that was removed for peak. They generally were never able to have me work late Christmas eve. You must be strategic if you want to be home with family that night.

UPSGUY72

That likely depends on if you've taken all of your break or not. At least that's how it is in my local.

If you're through with all your work and have taken all of your break then you can refuse but only then.

Wonder if the center sent out a message for everyone to call before they came back to the building yesterday. I know mine did. The object was to help everyone out so everyone got out at a reasonable time. Not some people at 3:00 and others at 9:00.

40 and out

Wonder if the center sent out a message for everyone to call before they came back to the building yesterday. I know mine did. The object was to help everyone out so everyone got out at a reasonable time. Not some people at 3:00 and others at 9:00.
We had to call the center every day of peak before we came in. Only had to go help 1 time since it was usually after 8:00 when I called

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had to stay out and help the guy on the route next to mine all three nights this week. I clocked out with 274 Monday night at 10:00 and I wasn't happy about it at all. We were dispatched with the same number of stops every day. He is just unorganized and slower. Last night I knocked out my 237 stops by 6:30 and I had to take an extra twenty off him. I had to "Worked as Instructed" directly by my center manager, but I told him about how I felt about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager posted a list with "driver teams". We had to call to make sure our "teammates" were OK before coming in.

I'll bet the driver was told to call before coming in and blew them off. He was then told to go back out and again blew them off, hence the termination.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No. If he completed his day. He has the right to go. Fair days work for fair days pay. All he has to say is he is fatigued. From x Mas. I'm sure there was another driver who would have helped. I would go for all lost wages. Petty on both sides
This all depends on your local.

In mine all break must be taken (highly unlikely on xmas eve) and you must of worked 8 hours. 7 hours 59 minutes and all break. Sorry head back out.

sportsjock

We had a lot of extra drivers, they ran everything that had a motor in it, to get people off early in our center. They took 30 stops off me before I even left the building. I gave the guy my 7000 and 8000 shelve. Our last driver clocked out at 7:30