Driver forged my signature, is it worth the effort to pursue?

S

serenity now

Let me explain. Rather than call in a concern, I would prefer to speak to a supervisor, explain the situation and then let the supervisor speak to the driver in question. The driver may very well have done everything correctly and the OP may be mistaken---on the flip side the driver may very well have forged her signature to avoid the send again. By not calling in a concern it gives the driver a chance to explain what happened without the threat of discipline. If the OP calls in a concern, which in this case would be for denial of signature, the driver is already behind the 8-ball.

Those who have said "you have your package and should let it go at that" may be doing the driver a disservice. If he did indeed forge her signature correcting this now could help this guy keep his job.

I think the driver followed the proper delivery methods by indirecting the package to the mailroom. He got a signature, clarified it and indicated the left at location. The OP never said that the tracking information showed her name---I think she was upset that she sat home all day only to find that her package was sitting downstairs the whole time.

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I hope I am posting in the right forum.

I live in a high rise in Chicago (11th floor). Generally when packages comes by, if it requires signature, the driver would either call me via intercom for signature, or come up to my apartment to knock on my door. If it doesn't require signature, they would leave a note on my mailbox, so I can check the locked mail room for the package.

3 Days ago, I ordered a package from Amazon. The tracking shows it was "out for delivery" yesterday morning. My boyfriend and I were home all afternoon waiting for its arrival. By the time 5pm came around, I started refreshing the tracking status every 20 mins or so. Around 6:30 pm, the status changed to "delivered" to my residence and signed by me. I was puzzled by the status. I didn't get any calls and no one knocked on my door. I went downstairs to check my mail box, there was no note on it to tell me I received a package at all.

I immediately called UPS, they claimed that there was a signature, but it was illegible. The tracking shows it was delivered to my residence and signed by me. Then they made me call Amazon. I called Amazon, Amazon agreed to replace my package after communicating back and forth with UPS for around 20 mins (I was placed on hold).

I was fairly certain at this point that my previous package was stolen by someone in the building that forged my signature. Anyways, today, I went down to the office to investigate more. The building manager said she was in the office when the UPS delivery guy came, he was only in and out of the mail room, and didn't look for anyone to sign off on any packages. I asked the manager to check the mail room to see if my package was in the room, she reluctantly agreed to check for me (normally, they only open the mail room for people with a slip on their mail box). It appears my package was in the mail room...

I am happy to locate my package. However I don't think it's right for the driver to forge my signature, leave the package in the mail room without even a note telling me my package was in the mail room. I really don't want similar incident to happen. I am not sure if reporting him is a good idea. I eventually found my package, even if i report him, will anything happen to him? If he found out I reported him, will he become more negligent with my packages?

Please advise what I should do in this case. Thank you.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Replace "Driver" with management.

Now what would you want done? (This question is for anyone turning a blind eye to what the driver did.)

kingOFchester

Replace "Driver" with management.

Now what would you want done? (This question is for anyone turning a blind eye to what the driver did.)

What did the driver do? You are able to conclusively determine that the driver did something wrong? This is precisely why it is bad advice to tell the OP to call the center. You have already determined that the driver did wrong without enough details.

Replace the driver with a sup and I would give the same advice.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
What did the driver do? You are able to conclusively determine that the driver did something wrong? This is precisely why it is bad advice to tell the OP to call the center. You have already determined that the driver did wrong without enough details.

Unless the OP is not telling the truth, the driver forged his/her signature.

According to the OP:
The tracking shows it was delivered to my residence and signed by me. ... The building manager said she was in the office when the UPS delivery guy came, he was only in and out of the mail room, and didn't look for anyone to sign off on any packages. I asked the manager to check the mail room to see if my package was in the room, she reluctantly agreed to check for me (normally, they only open the mail room for people with a slip on their mail box). It appears my package was in the mail room...

I am happy to locate my package. However I don't think it's right for the driver to forge my signature, leave the package in the mail room without even a note telling me my package was in the mail room. I really don't want similar incident to happen.

The OP did his/her own investigation and determined the driver delivered the package to the mailroom, did not seek a signature (it appears the office manager would be the person signing) but somehow captured her name for clarification.

Since he/she is not happy about what happened, then yes, I would suggest he/she contact UPS. It sucks that somebody may lose thier job over this, but that's the driver's problem, not the OP's. If the driver did nothing wrong -- e.g. the office manager signed for the package (must be a sub driver...) -- than the driver has nothing to worry about.

laffter

Why is this thread 5 pages long?

Without further details from the OP regarding the signature, it is clear what happened.

The driver didn't want to spend time attempting deliveries on packages to the building that day. He left them all at the mail room without leaving info-notices on residents doors. The packages were signed for by someone at the office.

I've helped various drivers who regularly do the exact same thing at apartment complexes.

I have been told by one driver who does NOT do this, that his supervisor recommended this as a method to make better time.

kingOFchester

Unless the OP is not telling the truth, the driver forged his/her signature.

According to the OP:

The OP did his/her own investigation and determined the driver delivered the package to the mailroom, did not seek a signature (it appears the office manager would be the person signing) but somehow captured her name for clarification.

Bagels, as I stated in an earlier post, and others, many times we are asked or given the name of the intended receiver and not the name of the person standing in front of me with a glazed look trying to figure out how to sign a DIAD. At least, with no exaggeration, I have to explain to someone standing in front of me that they need to sign their name and not their room mate (or insert whomever) the intended receiver. Many times after they sign and I ask for a last name they give me the name of the person who's name is on the package when they already made it clear that person is not home. You add a 11 story residential building and you can bet there is a good chance that someone signed it thinking they were doing their "friend, neighbor, resident" a favor by signing for the package. Absolutely a chance that there was no foul done.

You get some hot head center manager, who has it out for a driver who has filed grievances and their is a good chance the driver could be fired for doing no wrong.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
3 Days ago, I ordered a package from Amazon. The tracking shows it was "out for delivery" yesterday morning. My boyfriend and I were home all afternoon waiting for its arrival. By the time 5pm came around, I started refreshing the tracking status every 20 mins or so. Around 6:30 pm, the status changed to "delivered" to my residence and signed by me. I was puzzled by the status. I didn't get any calls and no one knocked on my door. I went downstairs to check my mail box, there was no note on it to tell me I received a package at all.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/d...ffort-pursue-348140/index5.html#ixzz2Ho8aaFzQ

She states in her post that "the status changed to "delivered" to my residence and signed by me."

With out seeing the signature clarification, I am going to say its got her last name in the signature block.

It was brought up on previous post "how did the package get in the mailroom?" Good Question?

My bet is the driver signed for all the packages he left in the mailroom.

$31 hourly rate and close to $50 on overtime and the driver does not want to do the job correctly.

I know what I would do to the driver.

LeLe Coupon what do you think about the service we provided to you? I ask because our Drivers talk about "Service" all the time.

"Our actions speak louder than our words"

Dragon

kingOFchester

Without further details from the OP regarding the signature, it is clear what happened.

The driver didn't want to spend time attempting deliveries on packages to the building that day. He left them all at the mail room without leaving info-notices on residents doors. The packages were signed for by someone at the office.

I've helped various drivers who regularly do the exact same thing at apartment complexes.

I have been told by one driver who does NOT do this, that his supervisor recommended this as a method to make better time.

How the hell is it clear?? There is so much missing from the story INCLUDING the drivers perspective!! Also you state that the driver "didn't want to spend the time". I know a route that is a training route. Has apartment with package room that we hold the key to. I was trained to use info notices. Every time a newbie struggles on the trip, I am sent out with the driver to help them. Everyone of them were not trained to use info notices. The new sups in the center either do not know what they are doing or do not want the driver wasting the time. Unwise to conclude anything from one side posted on the internet.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

The only time this is acceptable is if all the residence in the building pick up the mail/parcels at the office/mailroom. The building management will not let the UPS driver go door to door to leave a note for security/privacy concerns.

If not, it is your job (method if you prefer) to leave a note on the receivers door indicating you left it at the office/mailroom.

Yes the supervisor is wrong also and needs to be corrected.

kingOFchester

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/d...ffort-pursue-348140/index5.html#ixzz2Ho8aaFzQ

She states in her post that "the status changed to "delivered" to my residence and signed by me."

With out seeing the signature clarification, I am going to say its got her last name in the signature block.

It was brought up on previous post "how did the package get in the mailroom?" Good Question?

My bet is the driver signed for all the packages he left in the mailroom.

$31 hourly rate and close to $50 on overtime and the driver does not want to do the job correctly.

LeLe Coupon what do you think about the service we provided to you? I ask because our Drivers talk about "Service" all the time.

Dragon

You obviously struggle with comprehending simple posts. What is scarier is that you are a center manager who would have made a determination and decission based solely on hearing one side of an incident. Let me be clear. I have gone to a house. Rang bell. Customer says "I didn't order anything". I say "its for Joe Blow" They respond "oh that is my room mate" They sign. When I ask their last name, they give me the name that is on the box. I say "I need your last name". They respond with "oh, I though you wanted my room mates name". Happens many many times a month.

So you are saying there is no way that the driver could of gone into the office, up to the doorman, or any who and the person in question says "I will sign for it." Driver says "great", hands over diad, the person then just states the last name of the receiver?? Driver types in last name given.

UPSGUY72

The only time this is acceptable is if all the residence in the building pick up the mail/parcels at the office/mailroom. The building management will not let the UPS driver go door to door to leave a note for security/privacy concerns.

If not, it is your job (method if you prefer) to leave a note on the receivers door indicating you left it at the office/mailroom.

Yes the supervisor is wrong also and needs to be corrected.

There is one apartment building I deliver to sometimes that has over 100 apartments and we aren't allowed in and management doesn't take the packages we have to buzz each apartment and they have to come down and sign and get there package.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Bagels, as I stated in an earlier post, and others, many times we are asked or given the name of the intended receiver and not the name of the person standing in front of me with a glazed look trying to figure out how to sign a DIAD. At least, with no exaggeration, I have to explain to someone standing in front of me that they need to sign their name and not their room mate (or insert whomever) the intended receiver. Many times after they sign and I ask for a last name they give me the name of the person who's name is on the package when they already made it clear that person is not home. You add a 11 story residential building and you can bet there is a good chance that someone signed it thinking they were doing their "friend, neighbor, resident" a favor by signing for the package. Absolutely a chance that there was no foul done.

You get some hot head center manager, who has it out for a driver who has filed grievances and their is a good chance the driver could be fired for doing no wrong.

Yes, I too have been questioned 'do I sign my name or...' before. However, the OP indicated that the building manager was in the office while the driver made the delivery, and that the driver did not attempt to seek a signature (the mail room is likely a closet in which oversized items are placed, therefore I doubt it's staffed). The OP is upset because he/she needed the note to get access to the mailroom, yet the driver didn't leave one, plus somebody signed his name; the OP should contact UPS over this -- it's none of his/her concern as to what happens to the driver.

It was brought up on previous post "how did the package get in the mail room?" Good Question?

My bet is the driver signed for all the packages he left in the mail room.

Dragon

Or.............We see a driver at $31 hourly rate and close to $50 on overtime who has some ballcracker of a center manager on he and the rest of the center about bringing nothing back at the end of the day? He's a good guy, delivered to this address thousands of times and knows the package is safe in the locked mail room, and since he has other deliveries there decides to go in the grey area and leave the package safely with the others. The OP says they usually leave a note. Maybe it's on the floor of the lobby where it fell of the mailbox, or someone took it,etc? Or maybe the OP doesn't know her butt from a hole in the ground?

The point is everyone's out to point fingers and hang someone over a post by a non employee who hasn't been back since, especially since she received her package safely.

over9five

Staff member
The point is everyone's out to point fingers and hang someone over a post by a non employee who hasn't been back since, especially since she received her package safely.
She didn't even slow down on her way to complain even to check the mailroom.

kingOFchester

Yes, I too have been questioned 'do I sign my name or...' before. However, the OP indicated that the building manager was in the office while the driver made the delivery, and that the driver did not attempt to seek a signature (the mail room is likely a closet in which oversized items are placed, therefore I doubt it's staffed). The OP is upset because he/she needed the note to get access to the mailroom, yet the driver didn't leave one, plus somebody signed his name; the OP should contact UPS over this -- it's none of his/her concern as to what happens to the driver.

I live in a 15 story condo. . 24hour doorman (around 8 ) 1 office manager. 2 assistants. 3 full time repair guys. 1 part time. Several cleaners that vacume the halls and clean out trash shoots. I am sure I am missing a few. Add all that together and there is a ton of people that could sign for my packages. Not including all the condo owners!!

Enough from me. I made my point and nothing you can say will change my view just as what I say won't change yours.

Cheers!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I live in a 15 story condo. . 24hour doorman (around 8 ) 1 office manager. 2 assistants. 3 full time repair guys. 1 part time. Several cleaners that vacume the halls and clean out trash shoots. I am sure I am missing a few. Add all that together and there is a ton of people that could sign for my packages. Not including all the condo owners!!

Enough from me. I made my point and nothing you can say will change my view just as what I say won't change yours.

Cheers!

Don't get me wrong -- it's possible the driver walked into the building, asked the doorman to sign -- who then looked at the package and signed the receiver's name -- and then the UPS driver brought the package to the mailroom, past the office manager, quickly placing a note on the OP's mailbox... which fell off and got tossed out (instead of being placed back up). Possible, yes, likely no.

I forgot to add: Ballcracker of a center manager, who is perfectly OK with what went down as long as the job get's done and no complaints roll in. If they do, it's the drivers fault.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I forgot to add: Ballcracker of a center manager, who is perfectly OK with what went down as long as the job get's done and no complaints roll in. If they do, it's the drivers fault.

I agree with you, cachsux. However... you can get fired for forging signatures - but not for bringing NI stuff back, provided it was actually NI.