Driver Helper before Air Driver?

nystripe96

I'm a loader on the twilight. My hub supe knows I want to be a driver, so he suggested I go to HR and inquire about the Sat air driver position. I'm only 3 months in as a loader. I do have a class B CDL, but only learned on an automatic unfortunately. Since I barely know how to drive stick, would I be better off learning the ropes as a driver helper next peak before I try to obtain an air driver position?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm a loader on the twilight. My hub supe knows I want to be a driver, so he suggested I go to HR and inquire about the Sat air driver position. I'm only 3 months in as a loader. I do have a class B CDL, but only learned on an automatic unfortunately. Since I barely know how to drive stick, would I be better off learning the ropes as a driver helper next peak before I try to obtain an air driver position?

Why would you want to wait a whole year? Go for the Saturday air driver position. Very few of our pkg cars are manual transmission; in fact, we don't have any in my center. It is true that being a helper would help you but it is not necessary. Saturday air driving will get you used to using the DIAD and help you develop your delivery skills.

softshoe

Sorry about the misquote. It is amazing how many pieces of junk that we have in our center. Everything gets recycled to us.

menotyou

bella amicizia
From my understanding, our district has realized it is wiser to keep the crap close to the hubs. They have more mechanics. Broken frames getting caught doesn't hurt, either.