driver helper driving own vehicle?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Upstate,didn't you deliver a stop on your way home in your personal car a few times....what is the difference between this and what op has been discussing????your off the clock,have no official dot markings, and don't have company insurance when your off....what would happen if you got in aN accident and the police found out you were delivering ???
I have done the same thing as well. A handful of times in 6 years. No, it's not supposed to be done and yes, it was done with the approval of management. And yes, I was paid for my time. I have also signed for pkgs for a friend and taken them home with me. With the friends approval because she was out of town.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
V5

This is a company issue, not a union issue as Jon suggests. And since you are not in the union......

This violates a ton of UPS policies. UPS is the only entity that can authorize anyone to use their personal vehicles for delivery purposes. Not the driver.

Secondly, as has been mentioned, you are driving without insurance when you attempt this type of action. Your insurance will not cover you when you are delivering, and since UPS did not authorize your car use, neither will theirs. So any accident you might be involved in will screw you for life. You can also be ticketed if you get pulled over for not having insurance in most states.

Then, add the fact that during this time of the year especially, there are a lot of people watching other people. A car or truck with a lot of packages in it will be interesting enough, considering that there is quite a business stealing packages that have been already delivered, or off docks like Upstate mentioned. People are looking and if they see you, I would suspect someone will call the police. I know I would.

There is no way in hell, if I were you, that I would ever consider using the personal vehicle for delivery, without express permission from UPS management. Period.

d

JonFrum

V5

This is a company issue, not a union issue as Jon suggests. And since you are not in the union......

This violates a ton of UPS policies. UPS is the only entity that can authorize anyone to use their personal vehicles for delivery purposes. Not the driver.

Secondly, as has been mentioned, you are driving without insurance when you attempt this type of action. Your insurance will not cover you when you are delivering, and since UPS did not authorize your car use, neither will theirs. So any accident you might be involved in will screw you for life. You can also be ticketed if you get pulled over for not having insurance in most states.

Then, add the fact that during this time of the year especially, there are a lot of people watching other people. A car or truck with a lot of packages in it will be interesting enough, considering that there is quite a business stealing packages that have been already delivered, or off docks like Upstate mentioned. People are looking and if they see you, I would suspect someone will call the police. I know I would.

There is no way in hell, if I were you, that I would ever consider using the personal vehicle for delivery, without express permission from UPS management. Period.

d

Danny, I assume it was suggested to the Original Poster that he use his own vehicle. But that it hasn't happened yet. So that's why I say take it to the Union first, since it's just a theoretical issue at this point. If the driver ordered the OP to use his personal vehicle, then that would create a immediate issue and Management would have to be informed.

Everyone in the Bargaining Unit is covered by the Union Contract, not just Union members. Bargaining Unit work is covered no matter who does it. Only Bargaining Unit Members, (which includes Union and non-Union workers,) may properly do Bargaining Unit work.

I'm still thinking the driver is joking about this, but using your own vehicle is not exactly unheard of by UPS or the Teamsters:

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION
Section 1 - Air Drivers
(i) Personal Vehicles
"Air Exception drivers will use the Employer’s vehicles whenever possible. Air Exception drivers who would happen to use their personal automobiles shall be reimbursed at the IRS limit applicable per mile for all miles driven to perform the air driving work in addition to their air driver wages. When an employee uses his/her own vehicle in the service of the Employer and is involved in an accident, the Employer shall be responsible for the damages to both the employee’s vehicle and to the other person’s vehicle and/or property, and will provide liability insurance coverage."

menotyou

bella amicizia
I used my car to deliver out of for several peaks. Difference is, I was paid driver rate and paid milage. The Union and Management were well aware of the situation and it was approved by both parties. It was quite a sweet deal. The people in the Clayton/Cape Vincent area expect a silver Subaru Outback driving around filled with packages.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Jon

I understand delivery out of personal vehicles. I have done it many times, especially when the company started to cut back "spares" at our building. I remember once delivering 260+ in one trip out of my Isuzu Pick up during the storm of the century in the 80's. That day I was the only UPS driver delivering out of our center.

But this is totally different. And it involves a seasonal worker. ITs hard enough to get the union to take action on serious labor issues that involve our company, let alone another member of the union. Like getting the union to take action on drivers that work off the clock. That is against the contract and law, but very very few times have I ever seen more than a passing interest in stopping the practice.

By the time the union got involved and actually did something, it would be spring time. Shame, but reality.

d

rocket man

I used my car to deliver out of for several peaks. Difference is, I was paid driver rate and paid milage. The Union and Management were well aware of the situation and it was approved by both parties. It was quite a sweet deal. The people in the Clayton/Cape Vincent area expect a silver Subaru Outback driving around filled with packages.
I thought you had more sence than that.

UPSGUY72

That's like play Russian roulette.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Menotyou

I prefered to deliver out of my personal vehicle when I could. Lot more comfortable, get to places alot easier than with a package car, and the radio always worked. Plus has air during the summer.

And at the time I believe it was 55-65 cents a mile I got for gas as well. You could make out pretty well. Always loved it when it came football season, to deliver the signature required second day air letters. A tote box full was a good 11-12 hours work. Those weeks I would gross somewhere pushing 2 grand +. And peaks the same way. Used to float and help drivers that were blown away or those that had helpers that were no show.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
Menotyou

I prefered to deliver out of my personal vehicle when I could. Lot more comfortable, get to places alot easier than with a package car, and the radio always worked. Plus has air during the summer.

And at the time I believe it was 55-65 cents a mile I got for gas as well. You could make out pretty well. Always loved it when it came football season, to deliver the signature required second day air letters. A tote box full was a good 11-12 hours work. Those weeks I would gross somewhere pushing 2 grand +. And peaks the same way. Used to float and help drivers that were blown away or those that had helpers that were no show.

d

Heated seats!!! I loved it. My car had AWD, too. One time, as I was closing the back end, the center manager was amazed how much I could fit in that wagon. He yelled out, "Paint it brown!" It was hilarious! I loved delivering out of my car. And, it was recognized as a UPS vehicle. I'd see customers at the grocery store. 'Anything for me today?' And, they were serious. LOL!!!

Danny, I assume it was suggested to the Original Poster that he use his own vehicle. But that it hasn't happened yet. So that's why I say take it to the Union first, since it's just a theoretical issue at this point. If the driver ordered the OP to use his personal vehicle, then that would create a immediate issue and Management would have to be informed.

Everyone in the Bargaining Unit is covered by the Union Contract, not just Union members. Bargaining Unit work is covered no matter who does it. Only Bargaining Unit Members, (which includes Union and non-Union workers,) may properly do Bargaining Unit work.

I'm still thinking the driver is joking about this, but using your own vehicle is not exactly unheard of by UPS or the Teamsters:

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION
Section 1 - Air Drivers
(i) Personal Vehicles
"Air Exception drivers will use the Employer’s vehicles whenever possible. Air Exception drivers who would happen to use their personal automobiles shall be reimbursed at the IRS limit applicable per mile for all miles driven to perform the air driving work in addition to their air driver wages. When an employee uses his/her own vehicle in the service of the Employer and is involved in an accident, the Employer shall be responsible for the damages to both the employee’s vehicle and to the other person’s vehicle and/or property, and will provide liability insurance coverage."
Kinda like upstate delivering out of his own personal vehicle off the clock on his way home.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I only delivered one package in all my time off the clock. IT was for a mis routed christmas gift on christmas eve. I knew the town was right on the way to Florida, to which I was leaving at 5 am christmas day. It was obviously a gift, and was our fault for not being at the right center for delivery. So I volunteered to deliver it on the way to fla. Got there at about 7:30 in the AM.

All of the other times I delivered one on the "way home" I was on the clock doing so. And yes, its called customer service.

But doing so off the clock violates not only the contract, but federal law as well. Upstate should know that already, but as usual, laws and regulations dont apply to him, only others. If he want to do something, then by all means he does it, regardless of what should be done.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
Kinda like upstate delivering out of his own personal vehicle off the clock on his way home.

It's called "customer service"--maybe you should Google it.
According to the Security guy (who has since retired) whose direction you follow on other things, it is against UPS policy and you can be terminated for doing it. It doesn't matter what your center manager said. Brian Sally told me himself. Hence, why I was not allowed to do it, anymore. Same district, same rules.

Let me add, I was on the clock for the deliveries I signed for and delivered on the way home. I, also, received mileage. Sally said I can't sign for packages and deliver in the way home. And, if I deliver in my vehicle, I must have a Diad with me.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I only delivered one package in all my time off the clock. IT was for a mis routed christmas gift on christmas eve. I knew the town was right on the way to Florida, to which I was leaving at 5 am christmas day. It was obviously a gift, and was our fault for not being at the right center for delivery. So I volunteered to deliver it on the way to fla. Got there at about 7:30 in the AM.

All of the other times I delivered one on the "way home" I was on the clock doing so. And yes, its called customer service.

But doing so off the clock violates not only the contract, but federal law as well. Upstate should know that already, but as usual, laws and regulations dont apply to him, only others. If he want to do something, then by all means he does it, regardless of what should be done.

d

My timecard was always adjusted whenever I made "deliveries" on my way home. I would either call them when I made my last stop or they would simply add 15 minutes to my punch out time.

It has been a while since I have been asked to do this but the last time that I did it was for a neighbor in my condo complex. It was medicine that had to be signed for and since she works all day she was not home. The driver either was not able to or was too busy to try to indirect (it was NDA) so it was NI1. In our center all NDA send agains are kept at the end of the belt so I just happened to see it as I was doing my PM turn in. I brought it to my on-cars attention and asked him if he would like me to drop it off on my way home. He said yes and that he would adjust my time card accordingly. I got 15 minutes of OT from UPS and a 12 pack of Coors Light from the consignee.

danny, you are right about one thing--if something needs to get done I do it but even I have limits. One of my previous routes was in Lake Placid (NY), which is a ski resort town. I had a very large delivery for a local business. The owner asked if I could instead deliver it to her house, which was not on my area and would have easily added 30-40 minutes to my day. I declined. She then offered me $40. I again declined and proceeded to bring the packages in to her business. She was not happy but I imagine she got over it.

Our center manager recently went above and beyond for two customers. We had two separate cover drivers RTS paychecks for two of our local jails. The center received concerns on both packages after the feeder had left for Albany. The center manager called Albany to have the packages held there, drove down to pick them up (2 hours), drove back and then to each location, delivering the last one around 11pm. Now, before all you Joe Unions out there bitch about a supervisor working, the work was offered but no one wanted it, so the center manager did what he felt he had to do and took care of the customers. If it were me, I would have had Albany put them on the plane with the Saturday air, but that's just me.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Upstate, if the contract still contains the language, it used to permit management to do hourly work when all options of getting an hourly to do the work had been exhausted. So that is or at least was covered in the contract.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
I believe if no one else wants the work, management has the right to force. They shouldn't have to. If no one wants the work, then it's their fault. center manager has the right and the duty as far as I'm concerned.