driver helper hit by a pickup truck

squirlygirly

I've been with UPS 4 years now, 2nd year helping out a driver. I was insistent on working with the same driver again this year for the simple things he takes into consideration, but would also prevent accidents from happening.

Pulling up to the curbs so the step out isn't so hard, along with the step back up. Sometimes having to cross the street is unavoidable & before he jumps into the back of the truck to get the next package ready, he lets me know how many cars to expect. "You've got one car, two cars, then you're clear!"

Drivers, regardless of the time they think it takes away from their drop-offs, MUST take that extra moment to take care of the one that's helping them...even if it means a few seconds!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Based on what we (w/ helper) got done last Fri, taking a few extra seconds (even at every stop) you will still be well ahead of the game. Having a helper last fri saved me 2/3 hrs.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Teamwork........I would like to try driver helper and may do it next year. I started my career as a helper on a Sears truck delivering large purchases and got to work with a lot of different folks...who worked in a lot of different ways to get the job done. I never had an issue with a driver. I do believe that as the senior part of that team and as the one who has seen the job the most I would feel responsible for the safety of my helper and would do all I can to get the job done safely.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrodster
This is contrary to the methods. You are supposed to cross the street from the rear of the pkg car.

Thats one method that you will NEVER see me do! Its much safer to cross from the front, this way if your truck gets rear ended your legs wont be in the way of the two bumbers.

Its obvious that the people that came up with these methods never did the job.

red

the theory is that if you are behind the truck, you will see the idiot that is going to hit yours, and get out of the way. if you are standing in front of your package car, you cant see the person, he will hit your car, then it will run over you.

so that is why the methods state from the back.

best

d

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Where did this happen? Any news links? Thanks.

Same thing happened in my state. I guess the helper was crossing the street in front of the pkg car and got hit. Unsure if it's the same person you are talking about.

Happened friday in Mesa Az.

46+2, We got the PCM on this this morning. Is there anything new?

cosmo1- no i haven't been able to find any news links yet. it happened in mesa, arizona.

brownrodster- not sure if it was the same person.

dilligaf- i'm sorry, no news on it yet as it wasn't in my building. i may have something on saturday.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
red

the theory is that if you are behind the truck, you will see the idiot that is going to hit yours, and get out of the way. if you are standing in front of your package car, you cant see the person, he will hit your car, then it will run over you.

so that is why the methods state from the back.

best

d
Right but, what kind of vehicle would have to hit a P1000 to move it so far it would actually RUN you over? A cement truck? If you had your truck parked in gear with the parking brake on, and a regular sized car hit it from behind, I think the person would have to be FLYING in order to move an entire package car very far. It's kinda like not being able to turn your wheels while waiting to make a left hand turn, since getting rear ended could push you out into the oncoming traffic... you'd have to get hit really hard or but a really large vehicle for this to be in effect.

squirlygirly

One of our guys/trucks a couple of years ago, got "T-Boned" in an intersection and the damn thing rolled over a couple times. Just a bunch of punks, running a red light and they tried the "gang-bangin'" trip on him...after they rolled HIS/UPS truck, "WHATCHA GONNA DO BOUT IT EH? YEAH, YEAH BRING IT ON!"

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Thats one method that you will NEVER see me do! Its much safer to cross from the front, this way if your truck gets rear ended your legs wont be in the way of the two bumbers.

I agree, I never liked the method of crossing behind the car. I would sooner have the package car shielding me!

A District safety person said you need to be seen by oncoming traffic & you need to see them. I responded OK. I continued crossing in front of the car as it served me well for 20+ years in delivery.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
same way I did it for yrs,hopefully if pkg cr get hit you got time to re/act and P/C takes the blow not you !!

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
the only new information on this accident i was able to come up with was that the driver helper was going to the stop from the package car. apparently she was crossing in front of the pc, and didn't see the vehicle coming toward her. We have all been pcm-ed to cross at the rear of the vehicle.

cino321

It's funny you guys mentioned the reflective vest.

In my district all the helpers got this yellow reflective vest to put over their pullover as part of their uniform and they have to wear it. As the driver I have to make sure their wearing it or it's a warning letter for me for failure to follow instructions. It's definitely one rule we're not having a problem following

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

In my district all the helpers got this yellow reflective vest to put over their pullover as part of their uniform and they have to wear it. As the driver I have to make sure their wearing it or it's a warning letter for me for failure to follow instructions. It's definitely one rule we're not having a problem following

That's a very good idea, can never be too safe. Actually, I mean, you can never be safe enough.

New Englander

Yeah....just from your front bumper and what ever is in front of your truck! Best part is you won't see it happening!

Rear of the truck offers easily the safest and BEST view of what is coming up behind you.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Yeah....just from your front bumper and what ever is in front of your truck! Best part is you won't see it happening!

Rear of the truck offers easily the safest and BEST view of what is coming up behind you.
Yeah obviously the rear of the truck gives you the best view of what's coming in the lane you're currently occupying, but does not allow you to see traffic coming the opposite direction until you get to the edge of the truck. Same thing goes for the front of the car. Bottom line is you can't see THROUGH the truck, and so front or back you have to stop at the edge and take a look at what's coming at you.

browndevil

Last fall after the time change, I mentioned to the safety commitee if we the drivers could wear reflective vests. The same ones that yard employees wear. I was told our uniform jackets and vests already had a reflective stripe, which they do I was concerned of having the ability to be more visible in the dark. And on a side note after 22 years with UPS I just learned this year during my annual S & V that walking behind the package car to deliver across the street was a method.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
has anyone else noticed the amount of safety related "talk" that the mgt has been feeding employees lately. Im not knocking it, especially if they are sincere about it. I cannot remember the last time production was talked about....someone at ups has finally realized how much money in comp and injuries is going out the window, hopefully its something they will continue.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Safety just happens to be the "flavor of the month" this month. Last month it was the +/- 15 min P/U window. The month before was miles reduction and the month before that was claims/damages reduction. Don't worry, production will have it's month, probably in Janaury when there are fewer of us working.