driver helper hit by a pickup truck

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My center manager gave me a "helper calendar" the other day and a pile of safety stuff to go over with my helper the other day. I am supposed to go over a safety tip everyday and we are both supposed to initial it. This was a minute after I pulled EDD and discovered I had 261 stops instead of the 195 max I can still do 9.5 at. This would have been a 12-13 hour day, I was lucky they decided to pull 55-60 0ff at the last minute. Great add/cut, three different package drivers in the same subdivision. Our dispatch is horrible with a new Dispatch Supe this year. Due to the down volume, routes get cut everyday and drivers go home while the rest of us get loaded up.

browndevil

Safety just happens to be the "flavor of the month" this month. Last month it was the +/- 15 min P/U window. The month before was miles reduction and the month before that was claims/damages reduction. Don't worry, production will have it's month, probably in Janaury when there are fewer of us working.
Yes and appearance issues i.e haircuts, shaving, polished shoes,proper uniforms, color of under shirts etc.

smf0605

Yeah obviously the rear of the truck gives you the best view of what's coming in the lane you're currently occupying, but does not allow you to see traffic coming the opposite direction until you get to the edge of the truck. Same thing goes for the front of the car. Bottom line is you can't see THROUGH the truck, and so front or back you have to stop at the edge and take a look at what's coming at you.

The difference is when you take a look to see if vehicles are coming; from the rear of the car you are looking at traffic in a lane that is not closest to you, when you peek out from the front of a package car, you are putting your head right INTO oncoming traffic. THAT is what makes crossing the street from the rear of your car the safer method.

The difference is when you take a look to see if vehicles are coming; from the rear of the car you are looking at traffic in a lane that is not closest to you, when you peek out from the front of a package car, you are putting your head right INTO oncoming traffic. THAT is what makes crossing the street from the rear of your car the safer method.
That's also the reason behind looking L-R-L at intersections(as opposed to R-L-R), the last "look" before take off is at the lane nearest to you.

BigBrownSanta

Drive around the block and deliver from the passenger side door. Crossing the street is dangerous no matter if you cross from in front of or behind the truck.

BTW, I argued this with my sup that it's not in the methods to cross from behind the truck. He told me it was a safe work method. Anyone out there who has the SWMs memorized want to regurgitate it for us?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And if you are parked in the travel lane, as with most resi stops, you do the same thing from either end of the truck. It's not necessarily safer from the rear.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Drive around the block and deliver from the passenger side door. Crossing the street is dangerous no matter if you cross from in front of or behind the truck.

BTW, I argued this with my sup that it's not in the methods to cross from behind the truck. He told me it was a safe work method. Anyone out there who has the SWMs memorized want to regurgitate it for us?
The last OJS I had it was actually written on the form the sup had to fill out.

New Englander

Yeah obviously the rear of the truck gives you the best view of what's coming in the lane you're currently occupying, but does not allow you to see traffic coming the opposite direction until you get to the edge of the truck. Same thing goes for the front of the car. Bottom line is you can't see THROUGH the truck, and so front or back you have to stop at the edge and take a look at what's coming at you.

Lol....the important traffic to be looking for is the traffic in your own lane. That is why we go from the back and not the front. You don't have the package car blind spotting you as you walk out.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was told the proper way was to go out the door closest to the stop. If the box is small enough, I'm going out the driver door, across the street, and back the same way. Scares the crap out of traffic coming up as I poke my body out the door waiting for a clear spot to cross.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our DM was here on Fri. He told us that the helper/family is refusing to talk to UPS and has hired a lawyer.

In this "sue everyone for anything because nothing is my fault" time we are living in would you expect anything else?:sad-little:

old levi's

blank space
Lol....the important traffic to be looking for is the traffic in your own lane. That is why we go from the back and not the front. You don't have the package car blind spotting you as you walk out.

That's also the traffic that could crush you against the back of the truck when some idiot is looking down while dialing a cell phone. I use the truck as a shield,stop at the front corner while still protected, look, and proceed when clear.

I received a diad text yesterday to "be sure you and your helper cross streets from the rear side of the package car", hmmm wonder where that came from?????????

mlhradio

FWIW, I'm a driver helper, and today my driver informed me that he had received a message that the helper hit by a truck had passed away, and that he had received a "strongly worded" note this morning to make sure that all helpers pass behind the truck from now on.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
FWIW, I'm a driver helper, and today my driver informed me that he had received a message that the helper hit by a truck had passed away, and that he had received a "strongly worded" note this morning to make sure that all helpers pass behind the truck from now on.
I wouldn't be to quick to believe this. The helper had a couple of broken ribs but was in no way critically injured (life threatening). I would bet that your driver is using this to get your 'undivided attention' as far as walking behind the truck.

BigBrownSanta

Here is my interpretation of the "walk behind the truck" to deliver packages "rule". Mind you, it's just my intepretation and some will still say it's unsafe and others will say it makes sense. Me personally, I will drive around the block.

As with anything else UPS does, they tell you to do something without giving any clear explanation. If you picture it in your head and work it out logically, it does make sense.

When you exit the truck and walk to the back of the truck, do not step off the curb until you have cleared the approaching traffic and know the intentions of those drivers behind the truck or the lane is empty. This will prevent you from being pinned to your bumper by the text-reading driver.

When your lane is clear, proceed into the lane. You then clear the traffic in the other lane. You will not have a blind spot of the oncoming traffic like you would if you crossed in front of the truck.

Yesterday, Tuesday, morning our center manager read from an Email he received supposedly from the center manager of the helper that we have been talking about. According to the Email she has possible irreparable nerve damage in the spine area. How true this is, is unknown.