Driver Helper Payrate In Central Region

Dark_Team_135

I am having some trouble getting a clear answer here about what the driver helper payrate should be this year. In Central Region it states:

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]ARTICLE 19-MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Section 7[/FONT]
Helper for package car drivers shall be paid eighty percent (80%) of the starting rate for package car drivers plus increases outlined in Article 41, Section 2 of the National Master Agreement.

The provisions of Article 12, Section 7, shall apply to helpers who are on the payroll thirty-one (31) calendar days or more.

National Master

Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression

a. All Supplements, Riders or Addenda will contain the following wage progression schedule to cover all full-time employees, except apprentices, who are in the progression as of August 1, 2008. This two (2) year progression will also remain in effect from the date this Agreement becomes effective until August 1, 2008 for those employees entering during this period a full-time job other than package, feeder, air or one covered by Section 3 below.

The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this Agreement.

Rate in Effect on July 31, 2002

Start 70%
Seniority 75%
Seniority Date plus one (1) year 80%
Seniority Date plus eighteen (18) months 90%
Seniority Date plus two (2) years Top Rate

Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2002, who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this progression, will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

When a part-time employee bids to a full-time classification under this progression where the top rate of the full-time classification is less than his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.

b. No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

c. The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job (other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2008 shall be as follows:

Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36) (30) months (current top rate) Top Rate

Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment as a package or feeder driver under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

If a part-time employee bids to a feeder or package car driver full-time position and the top rate of the classification is less than his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.

This Sub-section shall supersede any provision to the contrary in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

Article 41 Section 2 (c) of the prior Agreement shall remain in effect for all employees in that progression as of the date of the ratification and those who enter the progression between the date of ratification and August 1, 2008.

The company is claiming that Sec. 2(a) causes their rate to remain at $11.76. I disagree since that is clearly carry over language that is for employees in progression or that enter a full-time job before 8/1/2008 and even then, only jobs other than package etc.

Since Sec. 2(c) says the new starting rate for package drivers is $16.10 the driver helper rate should increase to $12.88 this year. How is this being done in other areas?

[/FONT]

gandydancer

Dunno how it's handled here. Is driver's helper considered a full time job? If not, much of the language becomes irrelevant, as is already the bit about hires before 8/08. The first part of Cental 19/7 seems clear enough -- 80% of $16.10 is $12.88 -- but what on earth does it mean by "plus increases outlined in Article 41, Section 2 of the National Master Agreement"?

I am having some trouble getting a clear answer here about what the driver helper payrate should be this year. In Central Region it states:

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]ARTICLE 19-MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Section 7[/FONT]
Helper for package car drivers shall be paid eighty percent (80%) of the starting rate for package car drivers plus increases outlined in Article 41, Section 2 of the National Master Agreement.[/FONT]​
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

The provisions of Article 12, Section 7, shall apply to helpers who are on the payroll thirty-one (31) calendar days or more.

National Master

Section 2. Full-time Wage Progression

a. All Supplements, Riders or Addenda will contain the following wage progression schedule to cover all full-time employees, except apprentices, who are in the progression as of August 1, 2008. This two (2) year progression will also remain in effect from the date this Agreement becomes effective until August 1, 2008 for those employees entering during this period a full-time job other than package, feeder, air or one covered by Section 3 below.

The rate in effect on July 31, 2002 will be used to calculate the progression rates for the life of this Agreement.

Rate in Effect on July 31, 2002

Start 70%
Seniority 75%
Seniority Date plus one (1) year 80%
Seniority Date plus eighteen (18) months 90%
Seniority Date plus two (2) years Top Rate

Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2002, who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this progression, will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

When a part-time employee bids to a full-time classification under this progression where the top rate of the full-time classification is less than his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.

b. No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

c. The progression for employees entering a package car driving, or feeder, or other full-time job (other than an air driver or a job covered by Section 3 below) position after August 1, 2008 shall be as follows:

Start $16.10
Seniority $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36) (30) months (current top rate) Top Rate

Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment as a package or feeder driver under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression.

If a part-time employee bids to a feeder or package car driver full-time position and the top rate of the classification is less than his/her current rate, the employee shall be placed at the top rate of the new classification immediately.

This Sub-section shall supersede any provision to the contrary in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

Article 41 Section 2 (c) of the prior Agreement shall remain in effect for all employees in that progression as of the date of the ratification and those who enter the progression between the date of ratification and August 1, 2008.

The company is claiming that Sec. 2(a) causes their rate to remain at $11.76. I disagree since that is clearly carry over language that is for employees in progression or that enter a full-time job before 8/1/2008 and even then, only jobs other than package etc.

Since Sec. 2(c) says the new starting rate for package drivers is $16.10 the driver helper rate should increase to $12.88 this year. How is this being done in other areas?

[/FONT]

So top rate is 2 years not 2.5 if you were hired before jan 1 2008?

This is so confusing :biting:.

To me it says I'm top rate in 2 years.

I actually talked to my stewert and mgt about this and they couldn't figure it out. Then about 45min of reading both contracts they came up with two years. I haven't pressed the issuse again. Cause I wanna know for sure. ????

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So top rate is 2 years not 2.5 if you were hired before jan 1 2008?

This is so confusing :biting:.

To me it says I'm top rate in 2 years.

I actually talked to my stewert and mgt about this and they couldn't figure it out. Then about 45min of reading both contracts they came up with two years. I haven't pressed the issuse again. Cause I wanna know for sure. ????

Try asking your steward, he might know.

Bad Gas!

Helpers in the south get a measly 8.50 an hour...They are vastly underpaid but what do you do.I've had a helper for four weeks already..

evilleace

It says 80% of driver starting rate so helpers make $12.88 an hr. this is only for union members I think outside employees only make $8.50 an hr. I think.

I am a helper this year in the Ft Wayne, Indiana hub, I was also a helper last year, my rate last year was 11.76. This year when we went to orientation there was a page where we had to fill in our names, hire date, pay rate, soc etc. Well mine was blank but a couple people in the room had a pay rate of 12.88 already filled in on their form. Our instructor said this rate was wrong and to cross it out and put in 11.76, he also said that will be the rate for 2009. Also I am working unload/preload from 4a-9a and this is my first year for this. The rate for that work is 8.50 for unload and 9.50 for preload, and damn is unload some grueling work!

evilleace

I am a helper this year in the Ft Wayne, Indiana hub, I was also a helper last year, my rate last year was 11.76. This year when we went to orientation there was a page where we had to fill in our names, hire date, pay rate, soc etc. Well mine was blank but a couple people in the room had a pay rate of 12.88 already filled in on their form. Our instructor said this rate was wrong and to cross it out and put in 11.76, he also said that will be the rate for 2009. Also I am working unload/preload from 4a-9a and this is my first year for this. The rate for that work is 8.50 for unload and 9.50 for preload, and damn is unload some grueling work!

What local are you in I am in 710 and they tried this thing with $11.76 and then had to change it to $12.88 later the next week. Talk to your steward see what he can do.

Helpers in the south get a measly 8.50 an hour...They are vastly underpaid but what do you do.I've had a helper for four weeks already..

+1
yeah its a pretty cheap sum.....i mean im just glad that i have a job period. Sure this is a huge step up from my old job, (conveince store clerk), but, im making now, what i could have made in 3 months at the gas station. Getting paid to stand there and do nothing.....heaven LOL. But seriously, after a LONG week, and fridays here looking forward to do some spending, and then looking at the stub to only end up saying :censored2::censored2::censored2:. :anxious:

What local are you in I am in 710 and they tried this thing with $11.76 and then had to change it to $12.88 later the next week. Talk to your steward see what he can do.

Im not sure what local I am in, got my check today for last weeks orientation it was a payrate of 11.76 and they screwed us out of the 45minutes orientation went over, thought that was funny. The only thing they took out of my check was for state and local taxes, no union dues. So am I part of the union, I did sign something I remember in orientation about the union local but I dont think they took out anything last year and nor this check. Thanks