Driver Helper Questions

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TheNewKid, Nov 18, 2014.

1. TheNewKid

TheNewKid Member

Hello! About two and a half weeks ago I was hired by UPS to be a Driver Helper. I haven't been called in once. I'm just curious if there is a certain time Drivers start calling in help or if the drivers in my area are just not wanting to call in help? Note that I currently live close to Reno, NV which is quite a large place so I don't believe it's because the area is too small for necessary help.

2. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like they don't need you yet. Not enough of the first Helpers hired have quit yet, give it a little time.

3. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Don't stop looking for a better job and if you find one don't look back.

4. TheNewKid

TheNewKid Member

Why would they advertise if they need so much help for peak if they're looking for new hires to quit?

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

You answered your own question.

6. PT Car Washer

The job sucks and you get treated like crap. But if you do a really good job UPS may hire you on FT after peak is over and employees are being let go by the thousands.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. TheNewKid

TheNewKid Member

How do you get treated like crap? I don't mean to be so ignorant.

8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. You've Got Mail

You've Got Mail Active Member

Do people really not like this job? They must hate being outside, or having the time fly by, or getting some exercise on UPS time. Being a helper is cake. Driving is even better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. PT Car Washer

Call you at 1:00 PM to tell you to meet a driver in 45 minutes across town to work 2 hours. Call you two days later to meet a driver in 30 minutes to work 3 hours. Call you 2 days later to meet the driver and work 10 hours. Get the picture.

11. PT Car Washer

If you want to be outside and getting paid to exercise why not join the US Army and get paid to go back to Iraq?

12. You've Got Mail

You've Got Mail Active Member

I was already in the Navy. UPS is beyond easy compared to the military, and as a driver/helper you aren't getting shot at or working the graveyard shift while getting paid less.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. PT Car Washer

The job could be a lot easier then what management turns it into. Everyday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. TheNewKid

TheNewKid Member

To me it just sounds like you had a bad experience. I'm not trying to argue. Even though the job may be vigorous the money is too good to pass up. The re-hire would be nice too. Although the re-hire would be difficult to get.

15. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Well, like I would tell my helpers the first day, "Let's get something straight right from the get go. You're my b1tch for the next 2 months. If you have an issue with that you may as well quit now rather than break my heart later."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. PT Car Washer

I have to respect your enthusiasm. You can make a lot of money working UPS if you hang in there. Best of luck to you but keep your options open.

17. TheNewKid

TheNewKid Member

See but the thing is all helpers should expect to be worked hard by their drivers. As is the job title "Driver Helper"

18. PT Car Washer

Answer your question.

19. PT Car Washer

Driver helper team, not driver slave.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. novadriver

novadriver Active Member

when u see that truck bricked out @ 830am, this occurs ^