Driver Helper Stories

6Brown

Driver Helper
Let's hear some funny/cringeworthy stories about driver helpers or their experiences.
This can be written by drivers or helpers themselves.

Let's all get a good laugh.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I worked with a seasonal driver who enjoys the smell of his farts. He's Mexican and had beans for lunch everyday ,too.

Rack em

Made the Podium
2 peaks ago a driver had a jumper and told him to go into an apt. building and deliver those packages while he delivered across the street. Well the jumper took way too long to deliver the packages and later that night the driver found out it was because the jumper thought it was a good idea to find a random closet in the building and piss in it! The apt. manager got it all on camera lol.

6Brown

Driver Helper
I delivered a package to an elderly woman's house who had a very tasteful and elegant homemade wreath in the shape of a pentagram on her from door, star pointing down and everything wrapped with red ribbon. Either she made an honest mistake, or she is the coolest grandma in the country.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I have had a lot of things happen since I have been doing this. Some of the drivers have told me some things as well.

Two years ago:

Had a customer startle me at night in a dark area. Came across a guy who's mental faculties were not all there in front of a house. Ended up addressing some other person who was standing in the door way and ignored the person out front. The driver and I put a TV in the back yard of some customer and saw a golden retriever cringing in a corner of the back yard. Delivered 50 some odd items to a house of which 20 of the items was computer paper. Saw a 5 year old on a bicycle directly behind the truck on the back up monitor. The driver told me that one time he had a kid get on the back of his truck and refused to get off. The mother comes out and yells at the driver because he is yelling at the kid to get off instead of scolding her kid. Saw a sign that said 'Knock and run' at some house. The driver was a bit disappointed at my reaction to the sign. I came back to the truck as if nothing was wrong. The driver asked if I saw the sign. I said yes that I did and thought it was rather funny. The driver then told me that most helpers usually come running back to the truck. Delivered to a condo were the occupants had left and didn't latch their door behind them. My knocking caused the door to swing open to my astonishment. After I realized no one was home, I just reached in and closed the door. On my way back to the truck I ran across the driver and a customer who followed us back to the truck. The customer was complaining about how the last driver had supposedly broke a sink that was delivered. Of course the replacement sink was on the truck and so we put it next to the customer's door. Later when we got near the boundary to an indian reservation, I asked the driver if he had ever delivered on the reservation before. He said no but he knew a driver that does. Here's what he told me about what this driver experienced. The driver had delivered to a trailer where the indians had removed the interior walls and floors and were living in it like that. Another indian had pulled a gun on the driver at another stop on the reservation. Since it happened on tribal lands, UPS could only flag the address as customer pick up only. Later that day the driver and I delivered to some high rise condos where an elderly lady called the condo security on the driver. Security just went up there to calm the lady down.

Last year:

A secretary at some business went on some spiel on how she was a temp. I just grinned at her and said 'That's ok. So am I.' She gets this surprised look on her face and says 'Really?' The look on her face was priceless. Tried to deliver to a business that was closed on Christmas Eve but someone forgot to lock up. The driver thought that the business had refused the shipment until I told him what had happened.

This year:

Had this happen http://www.browncafe.com/community/...nosey-and-rude-neighbor-of-a-customer.367547/

Came across some stealthy dogs one of which sniffed at the bottoms of my shoes while I was waiting for a package from the driver. Another tailed me back to the truck without me knowing it. It backed off when I entered the truck. After delivering to a house, the driver got a call from a seasonal driver. He was on the phone with the seasonal driver near the back of the truck when the customer went to get the package and let a dog out as well. I backed up onto the truck real fast and the driver yelled at the dog. Then ran around to the driver side of the truck and looked back at the dog from the driver's side of the truck. Had a customer who let a dog out with them that was not a threat but just barked at me. I give the package to the customer and they take it inside without calling the dog in or securing it inside. They just left it out there to bark at me. I didn't want to turn my back to the dog and head back to the truck because of the dog's natural predator instincts. The dog's body language told me that it was the type that would retreat if approached. So I take two steps toward the dog and it retreats into the doorway. I close the security screen door and head back to the truck. The customer says 'Thank you.' as I am heading back to the truck.

FilingBluesFL

So supposedly this happened in a center this year...

Helper is on car, and needs to use the phone, but he forgot his cell.

Driver offers helper to use his phone, so helper can call his girlfriend.

Helper starts dialing phone number, and dudes girlfriends name and phone number are already listed in the phone under contacts...

Not sure how the rest of it played out, lol

GillEagan

So supposedly this happened in a center this year...

Helper is on car, and needs to use the phone, but he forgot his cell.

Driver offers helper to use his phone, so helper can call his girlfriend.

Helper starts dialing phone number, and dudes girlfriends name and phone number are already listed in the phone under contacts...

Not sure how the rest of it played out, lol

Damn! What are the odds of that?

upschuck

I had a helper have a gun pointed at his head, when he walked in on a robbery. I was getting ready to see what was taking him so long, and he comes running out asking if I had seen anybody run out of the business.

GillEagan

I had a helper have a gun pointed at his head, when he walked in on a robbery. I was getting ready to see what was taking him so long, and he comes running out asking if I had seen anybody run out of the business.
I'm just glad that happens late at night around here.

Jonathan Carlson

I signed in with google and the username was chosen for me - I am not changing it. I have had two drivers in 3 days of work. The first day with Justin was fine (7 hrs due to misload). The second day with Lisa was fine (raining most of the day for 6 hrs). Then the third day I am with Justin again. I get on the truck and we head off without saying too much.

At the very first stop he pulls just past the drive way onto the embankment and starts to pull out a larger package. Sometimes drivers move things around and so I don't know if this is what I am delivering. So I say "A big one, huh" because I need to think about getting the hand truck. He says "No, it's a small one! Want the hand truck" in a manner that implies I might be a pusillanimous. I pick it up to test the weight because he refuses to tell me the actual weight and determine I can carry it up this hill (paved driveway). When I get back I ask "Are you in a bad mood" because things were fine the other day between us. We got a lot done. He says that he's tired and he wants to home. It's 11:15 am. I understand this week and next are very difficult so I prepare for a busy, but silent day.

We do another stop at property with several structures. He tells me to put it on the porch. I cannot see the porch on the few visible structures so I say "What porch?" He points to his left and I realize there is another house blocked by the truck.

We get do the third stop and he points to the house and says "Side door" so I start walking, but apparently I didn't make a B-line so he says "Walk across the grass!" In orientation they taught us not to do this, so occasionally I would use the walkway if it were close enough and Justin hated this. If he said so, I would use the grass. But this time, he was just busting my balls because it hardly mattered at all. So I said "I can handle it - they told us to use walkways in training so that's what I am going to do." He said "Give me the package" I said "No,I can do it" because I was halfway there with the package in hand. He said "Fine, then I'm leaving without you." And he did! He passed me several times (once to drop off my belongings at my car) I had to walk a mile on a very busy road. I was furious.

In addition to smoking while driving, I think Justin violates other rules (like taking a paid lunch; instead he takes a few 10 min breaks). I am not inclined to go after someone's job because of a minor infraction, but this is ludicrous. He deserves to be fired.

From another thread that I started. No exactly funny at this point! The good news is that I worked with "Tom" today and it was all sunshine and farts (I always wait until I walk up the driveway)

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Last year I had a helper who seemed to know everyone on the route so I got to hear stories about how big of a whore they all used to be and such.

GillEagan

From another thread that I started. No exactly funny at this point! The good news is that I worked with "Driver" today and it was all sunshine and farts (I always wait until I walk up the driveway)
You need to stop posting the names of the drivers here. It's a no no here. If you still can please edit the posts and change the names to just driver.