Driver Helper Stories

My driver yesterday (Sunday) was something else entirely.

He used the friend-word as an adjective for everything and had a bit of a motor mouth.

Some choice quotes that I can remember
"What games do you play, if you say Gears of War I will :censored2:ing kill you"
"I hate Retirement Homes, they just remind of death and I :censored2:ing hate death"
"Haha, Cowboys fan, what a queer"

All said in the van on the road, so I doubt anybody besides me could hear him. Made the work rather interesting.

Dr.Brownz

My helper quit today. Came to work in jeans and sneakers with one bottle of water for a 12 hour day in a foot of snow. I helped him out on drinks but I cant do everything.....Come 4:30 they asked if I could drop them off at the center to which I said call someone to get you. Left them standing at my next stop. What a great night! 4 more hours of doing deliveries to apartments.

Big Babooba

My helper just doesn't listen. It was dark out so I aimed my spotlight on the front door of the house. I told my helper to walk down the driveway to the sidewalk and take it to the front door. He grabbed his light and the package and ran down the driveway to the back door. I yelled, "FRONT DOOR! SEE THE LIGHT?". He did an about face and ran to the front door. Upon his return I told him that even a moth will follow the light.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
My driver yesterday (Sunday) was something else entirely.

He used the friend-word as an adjective for everything and had a bit of a motor mouth.

Some choice quotes that I can remember
"What games do you play, if you say Gears of War I will :censored2:ing kill you"
I wonder what he would have said to Ur-Quan Masters.
"I hate Retirement Homes, they just remind of death and I :censored2:ing hate death"
I guess he will hate it when his times comes too.
"Haha, Cowboys fan, what a queer"
I'm not a sports fan anyway. It's a quick way to bore the living hell out of me. I told my driver that when that topic came up.

All said in the van on the road, so I doubt anybody besides me could hear him. Made the work rather interesting.

capers8

My helper just doesn't listen. It was dark out so I aimed my spotlight on the front door of the house. I told my helper to walk down the driveway to the sidewalk and take it to the front door. He grabbed his light and the package and ran down the driveway to the back door. I yelled, "FRONT DOOR! SEE THE LIGHT?". He did an about face and ran to the front door. Upon his return I told him that even a moth will follow the light.
Just get a laser pointer and have him chase it all the way to the door

Jonathan Carlson

My helper quit today. Came to work in jeans and sneakers with one bottle of water for a 12 hour day in a foot of snow. I helped him out on drinks but I cant do everything.....Come 4:30 they asked if I could drop them off at the center to which I said call someone to get you. Left them standing at my next stop. What a great night! 4 more hours of doing deliveries to apartments.

Dude, don't leave someone stranded in winter in a foot of snow!

Ms.PacMan

Dude, don't leave someone stranded in winter in a foot of snow!
You want to know what we're told to do, Mister by the book? We're trained to leave you with a handcart and a pile of resis somewhere and give you a meet point at whatever time we think it will take you to do the neighborhood (regardless of temp and snow).

Still think you're driver was a d*ck? He wasn't because he didn't do that and he kept you with him. Abandoning you wasn't the worst thing he could have done - going by the book was.

35years

Gravy route
You want to know what we're told to do, Mister by the book? We're trained to leave you with a handcart and a pile of resis somewhere and give you a meet point at whatever time we think it will take you to do the neighborhood (regardless of temp and snow).

Still think you're driver was a d*ck? He wasn't because he didn't do that and he kept you with him. Abandoning you wasn't the worst thing he could have done - going by the book was.
Hit the nail on the head with that one!
We used to send them out with a paper cart full of boxes to do a whole street.
Pick him up 45 minutes later. Management's orders.
One year it was below 0 all day and plenty of snow.
Helper would come back with icicles hanging from his moustache (not kidding).

This poor helper (on Brown Cafe) had to work 3 whole days in the rain and walk a whole mile to his car.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

For almost 28 of my 34 years as a driver, I ran rural routes. I got stuck with helpers almost every year. The helpers were with me on the truck all day, every day. Some were great, a few were like Jonathon.

I wanted to abandon them, but the worse punishment was telling management to give me someone different, and knowing the bad ones were sent to a driver in town and given that handcart full of boxes, or worse, a front porch on the route full of packages, and left to themselves no matter what the weather.

Karma's a bitch.

Mr.Golden

That's why they don't hire them like they used to. You ain't saving any money if you pay them comp for a year.
Oh it gets better....they also told us that a helper fell out the truck while it was in motion going about 25mph. We had late air cause our plane ran into another plane. Also a golf cart helper ran over another golf cart helper with a golf cart. As silly it sounds it happened.

GillEagan

I've actually had one driver do that with me once. He wasn't trying to punish me either. He noticed that I was fast and he was wanting to get this one area of this neighborhood done quickly. So he dropped me off on a couple of streets with the hand cart and he went and delivered on another street. Anyway I kick out those two streets without any problems. The driver just met me on the other side of the street I was working on. Some people were wondering where the truck was though.

GillEagan

Oh it gets better....they also told us that a helper fell out the truck while it was in motion going about 25mph.
Just after I sit down, I put my right foot through the inside railing and press gently on the floor. Then I put on the seat belt. No way I'll fall out.

opey

My helper asked me how old i was, i told him. he said oh what month? told him, he says oh what day? told him, he says GTFO.... we were born on the same actual day

margaritaville

I had a shy driver helper. I kept asking if they needed to use the restroom and they kept saying "no." I asked 4 times. The thing is it was winter which makes a person have to pee way more often and they were drinking AN ENTIRE JUG OF WATER IN WINTER. 7 hours went by and they never used it once. They quit the next day too i felt bad they seemed tramuatized by the job. I was trying to be nice.