Driver helper tips?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Nostromo, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Nostromo

Nostromo Member

Got a call for driver helper any PC drivers got some tips to help with the load?

Sent using Morse code
  2. Dont do it!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. ChickenLegs

ChickenLegs Safety Expert

Tips should be relayed to the driver
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. jaker

jaker trolling

Just listen and be able to carry a conversation
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Show up to the meet point on time and ready to work.

Stay off your cellphone.

Don't worry about the load.

No, you can't drive.
  6. Bring some snacks,and something to drink. Dress appropriately.
  7. Travwise

Travwise Active Member

You could also utilize the search button, helper horror stories have been discussed at great length here. BC is an encyclopedia of what NOT to do. Good luck to you!
  8. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Yes, most drivers will tip a good helper and buy lunch also.
  9. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

You have nothing to do with the load. Bring your running shoes youngblood and don't sandbag it or your driver may leave you in the ghetto for mommy to pick you up. Do what the driver tells you and don't be a douchebag and you will have a good peak.
  10. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

When the Driver says the yellow house and points to it. Don't bring the package to the blue house on the other side of the street.

Ears Open and listen. We don't have time to hold your hand

Ears open and listen. We don't have time to hold your hand

11. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Maybe on the last day.
  12. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

Not for me. I have a sit down and shut up kind of agreement with my helpers. If I talk to you, then you may speak back to me. I don't want to hear your life story, or your trials and tribulations. I just DON'T care.

My first year I had this guy who wouldn't shut up and kept complaining about apartments because they had 4 flights lol. One day he didn't show at our agreed upon time, and when he called me (late) I told him he had the day off, I didn't need him that day. My OMS called and asked what happened, I told them and said i could get it done faster without him, which I proved.

Be quick and don't complain are my tips. If someone offers $$ or cookies or favors, they are for the driver, unless he chooses to share his rewards with you.
  13. 10580helper

10580helper New Member

Show up on time, do what your driver tells you, bring water, wear the right footwear, keep your uniform clean.
  14. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Be honest and tell the driver it isn't what you expected and you won't be back tomorrow. Dont leave him without a helper because you didn't have the spine to let him know beforehand you won't be back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Be early. If I say 12:00, be ready to go before then. If you are late, I will be gone. I give my helper five minutes before I roll. My truck is a drama free zone. I don't care about your personal trials and tribulations and I won't bore you with mine. We have a lot of work to do so I have to be completely focused on the task at hand. We will work safely. You get hurt it is my butt on the line and your season will be over. Most importantly, be ready to work hard. This is not an easy job but if we work smart, we will get through it.
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It used to be when Christmas Eve was fairly light that I would take the helper out to lunch and give them their tip.
  17. Future

Future Well-Known Member many moons ago!