Driver Helper Update

New Englander

I've refused to drive a package car that the route driver chain smokes in. Especially in the winter. It's absolutely disgusting to have to smell that crap all day.

Turning the heat on and getting a smell of that crap - makes me sick.

rod

Retired 22 years
here in Ohio we're not permitted to smoke in the Pkg. cars there are several notices in each car

Is that just in your center? or is it state wide? I've never heard of a no smoking in the pkg. car rule. Sounds like something that someone made up and for some reason people believe it. (no I don't like smoking but this sounds fishy to me)

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
The day I started having to dispose of the previous driver's piss-bottles was the day I had no problems lighting up in the package car.

I have always left cars cleaner than when I got them. 99% of the time the garbage can is full, plus 10lbs of debris in the rear that I bag & pitch. Add to that the 1/4 inch of crud on every surface in the cab....

trickpony1

Is that just in your center? or is it state wide? I've never heard of a no smoking in the pkg. car rule. Sounds like something that someone made up and for some reason people believe it. (no I don't like smoking but this sounds fishy to me)

Hopefully this will become the rule rather than the exception.
I understand there is a lawsuit in the Northeast somewhere claiming the vehicles (pkg cars and especially feeder tractors) are work areas and are covered by OSHA rules regarding health and safety.
There's nothing quite like having to spend 6-8 hours in a tractor with the stench of someone else's cigarette smoke.
If Atlanta had any intestinal fortitude they would ban smoking in all vehicles and buildings or areas around entry ways to buildings.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In MASS there is a state law that you can not smoke in a vehicle that is shared by any one!!! That law is posted by some of the feeder offices I've been to!! I was a smoker at onetime and I allways cleaned the cab up after my run. Swept out floor washed dash and sprayed so other guy wouldn't be bothered!! some guys are slobs and would smoke up a storm with windows closed and never cleaned up!!!

say a driver is doing wrong all i have to say mind your own bussniess do your job and take your opinions home. Remember they ask us if you should be rehired. two 2 hour shifts dont give you the right to say nothing. The driver your with paid his dues. TO be a cover driver... Some day if you want this job you will understand. AND to you upstate nyer you are******** ands thats putting it nice you show your true colors more everyday.I WISH YOU WOULD GET OFF BROWN CAFE you think i busted your chops 6 months ago get ready and hold on for the ride.

Mind my own business, Im in a truck with this *******, it is my business when first I get his second hand and Second he could kill me for not paying attention and being on his phone, no :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: he was on it for like 20 minutes. Im not vet of UPS by any means but I know when Im unloading trucks at 4am Im not talking on my phone or taking smoke breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Mind my own business, Im in a truck with this ********, it is my business when first I get his second hand and Second he could kill me for not paying attention and being on his phone, no :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: he was on it for like 20 minutes. Im not vet of UPS by any means but I know when Im unloading trucks at 4am Im not talking on my phone or taking smoke breaks.

AAHHHH, Luke, I will quote what was told to me multiple times on this board by so many members when I first started - words of such deep wisdom that I was unable to grasp them at the time, and I am only recently appreciating the depth of meaning, the wisdom contained in the words;

Keep quiet, newbie.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I put a "no smoking" sticker on the dash of my pkg car. I cannot abide the putrid stench of stale smoke. Most of the drivers who fill in for me when I am gone are non-smokers anyway, but one of them does smoke and he has had enough courtesy to not light up in a vehicle that I will be spending 10 hrs a day in. I can live with sunflower seeds, full trash can, spit, boogers or just about anything else but if you insist upon smoking in my truck you and I will be "discussing" it in the parking lot after we clock off and it wont be fun.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I put a "no smoking" sticker on the dash of my pkg car. I cannot abide the putrid stench of stale smoke. Most of the drivers who fill in for me when I am gone are non-smokers anyway, but one of them does smoke and he has had enough courtesy to not light up in a vehicle that I will be spending 10 hrs a day in. I can live with sunflower seeds, full trash can, spit, boogers or just about anything else but if you insist upon smoking in my truck you and I will be "discussing" it in the parking lot after we clock off and it wont be fun.

Nobody who smokes wants to. I sure don't. but I'm addicted. I have time for maybe 4 cigs a day in the car, and I clean it up. Nobody smokes in a car to piss anyone off.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Nobody who smokes wants to. I sure don't. but I'm addicted. I have time for maybe 4 cigs a day in the car, and I clean it up. Nobody smokes in a car to piss anyone off.

Well I'm addicted to breathing. Your addiction doesnt give you the right to pollute my enviornment. If you want to smoke, do so on your lunch or breaks. I have no problem with coming back the next day and having to deliver the 10 extra stops you missed due to taking your full lunch and breaks and smoking outside the truck.

ih8tbrn

Banned
Hopefully this will become the rule rather than the exception.

If Atlanta had any intestinal fortitude they would ban smoking in all vehicles and buildings or areas around entry ways to buildings.

And if they can't do it, surely the Govt will. And after that maybe they will regulate how many cheeseburgers you can eat. And hopefully they will regulate farting and burping around others, since I have to work close to a guy that does it constantly and thinks it's funny.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
And if they can't do it, surely the Govt will. And after that maybe they will regulate how many cheeseburgers you can eat. And hopefully they will regulate farting and burping around others, since I have to work close to a guy that does it constantly and thinks it's funny.

And fat people. Definitely the Gov has to do something about that as well.

trickpony1

Such foresight.....
and you could very well be correct.
When you apply for insurance I believe you are asked if you smoke.
I have a close relative who is a nurse. She says in the near future your insuurance company may decline or even cancel your insurance if you are not within a certain BMI (I'll let you figure out what BMI is).

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Such foresight.....
and you could very well be correct.
When you apply for insurance I believe you are asked if you smoke.
I have a close relative who is a nurse. She says in the near future your insuurance company may decline or even cancel your insurance if you are not within a certain BMI (I'll let you figure out what BMI is).

Bowel Movement Index?

Ins companies already charge more for smokers (they should) and have been for years.

trickpony1

Actually it is Body Mass Index.
If you are out of parameters (overweight) you may become uninsureable becasue being overwieght has many cascade effects.
I'm told being overweight will get ya before smoking will.

ih8tbrn

Banned
BMI is a flawed and arbitrary number so it wouldn't surprise me that the insurance companies would adopt it as standard prodedure. I'm a big guy, not fat but muscular, according to my BMI(height vs weight) I am supposedly "overweight".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
BMI is a flawed and arbitrary number so it wouldn't surprise me that the insurance companies would adopt it as standard prodedure. I'm a big guy, not fat but muscular, according to my BMI(height vs weight) I am supposedly "overweight".

I'm not fat, I'm big boned! - Cartman

Just wrapped up day two with my driver, 3 hours, 4 cigs smoked, blew one stop sign(in subdivision, by school, on purpose), no cell phone time. Another interesting day. The regular guy will be back on Monday so maybe some professionalism will come then. Also this guy seems to have a complex about being a "swing" driver I think he has a chip on his shoulder from the comments he made to me about his job

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Just wrapped up day two with my driver, 3 hours, 4 cigs smoked, blew one stop sign(in subdivision, by school, on purpose), no cell phone time. Another interesting day. The regular guy will be back on Monday so maybe some professionalism will come then. Also this guy seems to have a complex about being a "swing" driver I think he has a chip on his shoulder from the comments he made to me about his job

Worry not. You, too, someday, will be assimilated.