Driver Helper

brownracer

New Helper DIAD Training has been developed. It is based on a 2 hour classroom training with DIADs for each student. It is available from IE. It includes info on packages, DRs, Signature stops and Indirects. There are stop exercises as well. Also there is a two-page handout that contains basic DIAD steps. It is called Made Simple.

Up_and_at_UPS

Coffee box sniffer
I believe the driver helper pay depends upon whether or not you are already a UPSer. In Local 710, you get 11.76 per hour to driver help if you're a UPSer, but if you're an outside hire I think you only make 9.50 an hour or so. I think the outside hires get really screwed, considering the short hours, low pay, and lack of overtime. However, it can be pretty lucrative for someone who's already a pter. I mean, as a preloader, anything over 5 hours is overtime pay, and when you hit more than 8 hours total for the day you get overtime pay on the driver help scale (well, that's how it is in 710 anyway, at least it was that way back when I worked in Urbana for peak of 2005). During peak, we usually work at least 6 hours in the am, and then driver helping nets you at least another 4-6 hours. So, I can make an hour of overtime pay in the am, two hours of regular driver help pay, and then another two-four hours of overtime driver help pay. Yeah, it really kicks your a** and is absolutely exhausting, but the money is nice. Still wish it was more though...

Outsiders get the top helper rate in 710. I did last year as an outsider. This year I am a Pre-loader and helper, I ran two days this week(9 hours, glad it was a three day week) and am sore all over. I thought I was in shape doing preload, but preload and helper kicks my butt, we all need our butts kicked from time to time. This will be the first year I lose weight instead of gain weight over the holidays. I just thank God I am able.

HazMatMan

I believe the driver helper pay depends upon whether or not you are already a UPSer. In Local 710, you get 11.76 per hour to driver help if you're a UPSer, but if you're an outside hire I think you only make 9.50 an hour or so. I think the outside hires get really screwed, considering the short hours, low pay, and lack of overtime. However, it can be pretty lucrative for someone who's already a pter. I mean, as a preloader, anything over 5 hours is overtime pay, and when you hit more than 8 hours total for the day you get overtime pay on the driver help scale (well, that's how it is in 710 anyway, at least it was that way back when I worked in Urbana for peak of 2005). During peak, we usually work at least 6 hours in the am, and then driver helping nets you at least another 4-6 hours. So, I can make an hour of overtime pay in the am, two hours of regular driver help pay, and then another two-four hours of overtime driver help pay. Yeah, it really kicks your a** and is absolutely exhausting, but the money is nice. Still wish it was more though...

Here it's the same rate, 8:00 an hour, whether you are an outside hire or 20 year veteran...