Driver Helper ???

redfish10

I have a interview for a driver helper on Wednesday. The job description did not give a pay rate. Does anyone know what the pay rate is for Pennsylvania.

Thanks.

rocket man

8.50 an hour . may be a bit more but thats about it .We have a ton of union brothers and sisters off they have to come back first I really wish the best to you I started as a helper too.

I got hired as a drivers helper and start Nov 10th. Already went thru orientation and got the uniform. Pay rate is $12.88 in Ohio.

sano

I just got back from my first day as driver helper. I think it was mostly about training because it didn't seem that the volume was heavy enough to justify a helper.
In our orientation class the trainer kept saying how difficult being a helper is. I realise our volume was light today, but it was not half as physically demanding as preloader. I really enjoyed myself out there today. the driver was very helpful, both about the driver helper job and also with advice about my UPS career.
I think I will like driver helper. Of course who wouldn't on a day like this (70 and sunny) check back with me in December when we have half again the packages and 10 degrees and snow:)

gandydancer

I have a interview for a driver helper on Wednesday. The job description did not give a pay rate. Does anyone know what the pay rate is for Pennsylvania.

Thanks.

What Local are you in? If you're covered under the Atlantic Supplement (Locals 22,

29, 61, 71, 171, 175, 322, 355, 391, 453, 505, 509, 639, 697, 822 and 992. ) it reads (http://www.makeupsdeliver.org/e107_files/downloads/atlantic3.pdf) "
Package Driver Helper Rate of Pay shall be $10.50 per hour".

sano

Nothing against you helpers - I absolutely hate having one with me.

I can totally understand that. You have a certain routine worked out and then just when you are starting to get real busy you need to change that routine to accommodate a helper.
The driver I am helping did say he enjoys getting home earlier than he would have.

evilleace

$11.50 for me and my center will use helpers as we only have 2 drivers laid off and they will both be used during peak. The HR guy said he was going to hire 60 helpers this year.

Bad Gas!

We have drivers still layed off in Ga. and I have had a helper for 5 days. My area isn't a good helper route this year as I have 20 business,2 apt complexes and a trailer park...And of course we are supposed to get signitures on all cell phones.So, their are alot of ralley killers spread through 100 miles of suburban Atl..

New Englander

I can totally understand that. You have a certain routine worked out and then just when you are starting to get real busy you need to change that routine to accommodate a helper.
The driver I am helping did say he enjoys getting home earlier than he would have.

A lot of it depends upon the helper you get. On a rural route a lot of times it actually slows us down if the helper is someone off the street with the limited UPS training they get. Most of the time it's pull over at a driveway, select the package and wait for the helper to run it off while we are sitting waiting for them to get back.

It works well when they know the diad and can be left with the hand cart and a good amount of stops while we are off delivering others.

During peak I'm much better not worrying about someone else and just setting them up and knocking them down by myself.

I don't feel forced to try and make conversation over a very loud cab nor feel weird when I don't do to that same reason.

brownrodster

On a rural route a lot of times it actually slows us down if the helper is someone off the street with the limited UPS training they get.

On a rural route a helper is worth his weight in gold to me. Because I need to spend a lot of time in back making sense of what I have and where I'm going. A lot of time is devoted to map reading, and sorting. Of course we are not on PAS. On a dense resi route I can do 200 stops by myself no prob.

New Englander

On a rural route a helper is worth his weight in gold to me. Because I need to spend a lot of time in back making sense of what I have and where I'm going. A lot of time is devoted to map reading, and sorting. Of course we are not on PAS. On a dense resi route I can do 200 stops by myself no prob.

I don't need my map book anymore, especially with EDD. It is a nice feeling leaving it in the backpack all day!

My sort time is nil with PAS compared to what it once was when I felt I needed to physically look at every address in the back to know what I had and reorder it all. Now I can just scan the DIAD to plan how I'm going to do it.

Nockahate9

Does anyone know how or where I can get some brown shorts or some knock offs close enough. I driver help three days a week during peak when my landscape business is slow. It stays warm here in the south and I can't stand wearing pants when I don't have to.

hdtvtechno

Does anyone know how or where I can get some brown shorts or some knock offs close enough. I driver help three days a week during peak when my landscape business is slow. It stays warm here in the south and I can't stand wearing pants when I don't have to.

Ask UPS.. they may give you shorts

tedted717

just have a few questions:

tomorrow i have orientation which sounds like it will mostly be safety training-- is it ok if i wear jeans??

also, what does the following mean:
"An essential function of this job requires that you lift and lower packages that typically weigh 25 -35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. You must be able to walk at a quick pace, carry packages and collect delivery information. In addition, you must work in an outdoor environment with variable temperatures and weather conditions and must be able to read words and numbers. Can you perform these essential functions with or without reasonable accommodations?"

I'm concerned that I won't be able to lift like 70 pounds by myself and carrying it for awhile to the business or whatever....what does with or without reasonable accommodations means? can I use a dolly or something??? I am a female junior in college who has lifted residents in nursing homes, but this freaks me out a little.....

any advice ASAP would be great! : )