driver helper

smokey711

Yeah, it's true..

Why would I want to babysit someone on car all day. I can't take care of myself...

I'm an 11-year UPS'er and a first-time helper. I very much resent the idea that my driver is babysitting me when I'm working with him. No, the very little bit of training did not put me on the same level as the driver who has been running his route for years... But that is an awful thing to say.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I did not like having a helper. I usually was able to hold off having one until the last week of peak.

I would teach them how to get a signature on the DIAD. I would also teach them how to properly driver release.

Other then getting to the door as fast as they can without running, they could pretty much be on auto-pilot.

whiskey

I was yelling at mine to fasten his seat belt! Try explaining a dead helper to your center manager. Uh...we hit a big bump.....uh.....The bulkhead door flew open as hit seat belt failed and he flew into the back....uh.....and he was buried by all the boxes that fell to the floor.....yeah!.....that's it!......that's how it happened.......honest!
Remove the folded up delivery notice that's jammed into the bulk head door lock. And don't ride along the railroad tracks that feature iced up big bumps. Can you say avoidable?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What is this misnomer about being responsible for our helpers whether it be their work, safety, or their training?

I don't train anybody nor can I supervise somebody while I'm down the street making a delivery and turning the truck around.

That's why I make sure that any stop completed by the helper is recorded in the helper DIAD that contains their name and ID number.

Management says a lot of things that aren't the case in the hope it will make an impact.

It's managements job to train and supervise not mine.

As we all know they are free to follow behind and observe if a problem is suspected.

rod

Retired 22 years
What is this misnomer about being responsible for our helpers whether it be their work, safety, or their training?

I don't train anybody nor can I supervise somebody while I'm down the street making a delivery and turning the truck around.

That's why I make sure that any stop completed by the helper is recorded in the helper DIAD that contains their name and ID number.

Management says a lot of things that aren't the case in the hope it will make an impact.

It's managements job to train and supervise not mine.

As we all know they are free to follow behind and observe if a problem is suspected.

I always let the helper get credit for everything I could. There wasn't a driver DIAD and a helper DIAD - there were just 2 DIADS. Any misdelivery or driver followup that occured was always the helpers fault. Thats life.:wink2:

NHDRVR

I'm an 11-year UPS'er and a first-time helper. I very much resent the idea that my driver is babysitting me when I'm working with him. No, the very little bit of training did not put me on the same level as the driver who has been running his route for years... But that is an awful thing to say.

If you had had some of the helpers that I did then my 'babysitting' remark is appropriate. Hence, not awful at all...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'd be willing to bet they adjust his helper hours next week.
Why? If you do the math it's cheaper to pay the helper team than a solo driver OT. The hypocrisy of the bonus system should be the concern here. How do you beat the time study by 2 hours if you are working by the methods?

tarbar66

I did not like having a helper. I usually was able to hold off having one until the last week of peak.

I would teach them how to get a signature on the DIAD. I would also teach them how to properly driver release.

Other then getting to the door as fast as they can without running, they could pretty much be on auto-pilot.

I was like you until I got a female helper that worked like an ox and used her femine charms to our advantage. All of the sudden we had more help on loading docks than you could shake a stick at. Guys on the street were willing to push her 2 wheeler. We got more free lunches that December than ever. She was invited to quite a few customers Holiday Parties too.

The right helper can make Peak for a driver almost pleasant. Unfortunately that only happened twice for me.

I saw 2 drivers with helpers yeaterday. Is the volume up that much already?

NHDRVR

That's just great, you go around judging a group of people based on a couple of bad seeds...

To be fair, I have had a few excellent helpers. They were the exception. The norm are the 'bad seeds'.

I don't like it either...I'm the one stuck on car with them.:happy-very:

D

Dis-organized Labor

limo-driver-help-wanted.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had the wonderful pleasure of being the first driver in my Center to start a Helper today. I used to refuse one, but they force me to take one now. It was a terrible day to start one, the weather forecast called for five inches of rain and it fell all day. He got pretty wet today. He worked hard, he is a Preload Primary Sorter instead of somebody off the street.

Like stated by others, there are pros and cons. I work better and can concentrate when I'm by myself. I don't like having to tell somebody what to do all day and worry about his safety. I ran my complete route and got extra stops off the next route to build mine up, the volume is still down compared to this time next year. My SPORH was actually down today, and I got an extra hour of overtime.

I told this guy to meet me at 11AM and showed him on a map where the meet point was. He called me at 11:01 and he is still sitting at his house. It wasn't the best way to start out the season. I will give him a day or two to show some improvement. I'm happy to burn my last week of vacation next week. Thirty more working days till Christmas for most, I have twenty-five.

UPSGUY72

Sorry to inform you but we are babysitting. US DRIVERS are responsible for what happen all day YOU HELPERS ARE NOT all that you have to do is what the driver tells you to and you would be amazed on how may helpers can't follow directions. It is our job as a drivers to make sure the helper does what he is suppose to do.

I will say that some helper don't need to be babysat as much as other but all helper are unless they are a driver that happen to be a helper that day.

smokey711

Sorry to inform you but we are babysitting. US DRIVERS are responsible for what happen all day YOU HELPERS ARE NOT all that you have to do is what the driver tells you to and you would be amazed on how may helpers can't follow directions. It is our job as a drivers to make sure the helper does what he is suppose to do.

I will say that some helper don't need to be babysat as much as other but all helper are unless they are a driver that happen to be a helper that day.

:censored2:. Another package driver who will piss on a brother at contract time and call him a baby on the job. You're a jerk.

UPSGUY72

:censored2:. Another package driver who will piss on a brother at contract time and call him a baby on the job. You're a jerk.

Sorry you feel that way but it is what it is. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Some of the helpers that need the most babysitting are the one that think they know everything and don't and won't listen to what there driver tells them. Apparently you are one of those helpers.

By the way your called HELPERS not DRIVERS for a reason