Driver Helpers Are Here! Let's cut some routes!

undies

File on being used as a helper? They tried to send me home and I refused and demanded my 8, they gave it to me, just had a supervisor driving me around to meet other drivers so I could help them...even though they already had a helper from off the street lol

UPS1907

Casuals call in each morning (unless already scheduled) and are told whether they are needed or not. If mgt decides to use helpers rather than casuals there is not a damn thing they can do about it other than volunteering to work as a helper. I have already said that cutting routes, using helpers and not using casuals is morally wrong but is not contractually wrong. Please provide a reference from our supplement which indicates otherwise.

Morally wrong?? Are you kidding? Who defines these "morals"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am not adversely affected in the least. I simply think that it is wrong to cut routes and lay off drivers while using helpers. No helper should be on road unless every available driver is also on road (not as a helper).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am not adversely affected in the least. I simply think that it is wrong to cut routes and lay off drivers while using helpers. No helper should be on road unless every available driver is also on road (not as a helper).

If you are not affected then you would not care, have an opinion or even notice.
I think you are affected by this scenario ... come on, you can admit it.

TxRoadDawg

Not enough, cut more damm it, cut more!
They cut too many then who would all the driver have to complain to in the mornings LOL. Imagine the day when the dispatch is done from atlanta and every center's drivers get ojs's by a computer program setup to flag every violation :happy-very:. you KNOW telematics never lies unlike people do :surprised:

undies

We have like 5+ FT drivers going home everyday. Routes being cut and helpers being used like crazy. I was going to make a new thread about this but realized I made the exact same one last year...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We have like 5+ FT drivers going home everyday. Routes being cut and helpers being used like crazy. I was going to make a new thread about this but realized I made the exact same one last year...

We also have a very large number of FT drivers receiving scheduled days off while nearly every driving working is getting a helper. However... it's hunting season, and even more FT drivers would take time off if they were able to.

Blame yourselves...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This I don't understand. Unless it is really heavy like peak, a helper doesn't save much time. I call it
"premature helperism". Numbers tank, and management can't understand why.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This I don't understand. Unless it is really heavy like peak, a helper doesn't save much time. I call it
"premature helperism". Numbers tank, and management can't understand why.

A go-fer doesn't save much time.

A properly trained helper can save a great deal of time.

Are the FT drivers being sent home offered the chance to work as helpers or are they just taking the dead day(s)?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Are the FT drivers being sent home offered the chance to work as helpers or are they just taking the dead day(s)?

In my building we call them "the dive team".
There is a defined group of drivers who have no problem getting up, getting dressed, driving to work, only to turn around and go home without pay.
I've actually seen them argue amongst themselves and even involve the steward as to who should have the opportunity not to work.
Management knows this and plays them to their advantage.
These drivers are the ones perpetuating this phenomenon and I'm not quite sure what can be done about it.
Once upon a time helpers weren't allowed until Thanksgiving, now they start using them Nov. 1.
These seemingly small concessions that have been conceded in recent contracts, cumulatively cost us dearly in the grand scheme of things.
That's why I voted no on this latest contract, over and above the healthcare issues.
We really need to start reading the fine print along with the bottom line.
​The devil is often in the details.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One deterrent would be to raise the number of hours needed to qualify for a year of pension credit. Here it is 1000 hours and dead days are given all the time. Raise it to 1800 and dead days would be greatly reduced. Part of the problem is that our mgt team allows drivers to use dead days in lieu of personal time----I think all personal time should be used before any dead days given and that no dead days be allowed after 1 Nov.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
One deterrent would be to raise the number of hours needed to qualify for a year of pension credit. Here it is 1000 hours and dead days are given all the time. Raise it to 1800 and dead days would be greatly reduced. Part of the problem is that our mgt team allows drivers to use dead days in lieu of personal time----I think all personal time should be used before any dead days given and that no dead days be allowed after 1 Nov.

​In the Central Region it is 1800 hours and it doesn't slow the dive team one iota.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

We call them runners. Scan and point to the house. No training around these parts.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We call them runners. Scan and point to the house. No training around these parts.

That's how I do it with my helpers. Unless I'm ever running stuff with a lot of apartments, I pull up to the house, sheet package myself, point to the house with X color door, or car, and slide up the next few while they run back to the truck.

If HR won't train them, I won't either.

Overpaid Union Thug

Personally I think they helpers shouldn't be used until after black Fridays. And that ALL available drivers (fulltime or not excluding casuals) should be on the road before adding helpers.