Driver Helpers

brownrodster

These are some crazy stories. The only rules I break during peak are prerecording my next few stops and if the pkg is very small I'll let my helper hold it in the cab. I'm probably screwed if management sees me doing this but everytime I've ridden with a driver sup they've kept pkgs in the cab for me to run off.

pkgdriver

You had your helper sorting while you were driving? Did I read that correct? Are you stupid or something? Or am I and I misunderstood what you wrote?

I was in the back of the car sorting while the vehicle was moving as a helper 23 years ago. I was going to school and delivering pizzas for Dominos. After my driver found out that I knew the area I went in the back and did some sorting. We are in the same driver group now and when the 1st time helper safety comes up at PCM I give him a grin. Things are a bit different now or at least I hope so. For my helpers its handrail then seatbelt.

buttere

All bets are off during peak. I personally follow the rules almost always, for fear of losing my job. However, I've had a couple drivers roll down the road while I was sorting in back. Open bulkhead doors, leaving the truck running, you name it, I'm sure I've seen every rule broken. Not everyone cares about the money and during peak, it may be all you can do to get done at a halfway decent time. The stop counts get ridiculous, having a good helper can make a big difference, but not that much!

Cementups

Box Monkey
The only rules I break during peak are prerecording my next few stops.....

What's the point of prerecording if you have EDD??? we have drivers that do this and it is a big waste of time You are techincally doing more keystrokes than necessary for no reason whatsoever. It's a bad habit that you need to get out of.

McLeod

I work the same pace in Dec. as I do Feb. and follow the rules. Not to be a "brown-noser" but I just need this job and income. I would hate to tell my wife I was fired from UPS for not working safe and being caught for it!!

Bad Gas!

I had a old helper call me from JAIL 2 years latter to see if I would post 15K to bail him out...I had to leave his but in there.I called his mom out of state and she seemed to not care...Oh well, I'm not his daddy!

brownrodster

What's the point of prerecording if you have EDD??? .

What's EDD ????? Sorry, I know, but it's not implemented here. When I show up everyday during peak I have a huge truck jam packed full and I get to discover where I am going as the day unfolds.

Damndest thing happened today. I had a new helper. He shows up and immediately after introductions, without me telling him to do anything, he starts prerecording my stops as I sort them. Then as I'm shutting the bulkhead door he says 'wait' and grabs the next two stops and brings them up into the cab!!!! I was LOL. Someone already trained him.

brownrodster

I work the same pace in Dec. as I do Feb. and follow the rules. Not to be a "brown-noser" but I just need this job and income. I would hate to tell my wife I was fired from UPS for not working safe and being caught for it!!

I've never heard of anyone diciplined for breaking rules during X-mas. Of course if you crash or get injured or your helper gets injured you are screwed ifyou broke any rules.

Scotsman

Scotsman
How about this one... Driver helper shows up with a tree saw in his hand... "Ah Chuck,... what's with the saw?"....

"I thought that while we are delivering to the Christmas tree farm, I could find one, buy it and carry in the back of the truck!"

"ah... Chuck? look, is there ANY room for a tree!"

Chuck got his tree. I loved the smell all week.

:happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
How about this one... Driver helper shows up with a tree saw in his hand... "Ah Chuck,... what's with the saw?"....

"I thought that while we are delivering to the Christmas tree farm, I could find one, buy it and carry in the back of the truck!"

"ah... Chuck? look, is there ANY room for a tree!"

Chuck got his tree. I loved the smell all week.

:happy-very:

You could always tell who had been hauling Christmas trees. Pine needles ALL over the place:wink2:

barnyard

KTM rider
Sooooo, my helper was climbing in this am, and I happened to notice that he was wear a batman belt buckle.
batman_yellow_belt_tan.jpg

How do I keep from laughing?????

or should I find like a 'bat board' instead of a diad and give him that???? or is there some kind of 'bat pouch' he can carry the diad in?????

TB

rod

Retired 22 years
Sooooo, my helper was climbing in this am, and I happened to notice that he was wear a batman belt buckle.

or should I find like a 'bat board' instead of a diad and give him that???? or is there some kind of 'bat pouch' he can carry the diad in?????

TB

As long as you don't end up being his "Robin":peaceful:

ups79

TB

Looks to me like nothing more than a very used black UPS belt with a replacement buckle. Don't you have to turn in your old belts in your center?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mgt notifies us of how many hours we are to use our helpers by ODS after we have left the bldg. Our volume was down yesterday and we had no Philly or Louisville air. Anyway, I was told that I could use my helper for 30 minutes! Who in their right mind is going to show up to work for 1/2 hour? I ended up using him for 3 hours but was punched out and gone by 1730; in fact, I have been punched out and gone by 1730 the past 3 days.

The ironic part is that the center manager told us during the PCM to use the helper for as long as we felt we needed to and to bring it in to reduce our paid day.

My helper is the step-son of a fellow employee so I try to take care of him. He is a very hard worker and knows how to use the DIAD. I would hate to both lose him and then have to train someone else this close to the end.

They may say something to me on Monday but I could care less.

sano

Mgt notifies us of how many hours we are to use our helpers by ODS after we have left the bldg. Our volume was down yesterday and we had no Philly or Louisville air. Anyway, I was told that I could use my helper for 30 minutes! Who in their right mind is going to show up to work for 1/2 hour? I ended up using him for 3 hours but was punched out and gone by 1730;

It seems to me like it is part of the helper coordinators job to tally up how long each driver should use a helper. The driver I am helping and I have a running joke about it. Every day they send out how long he should keep me. He says "if I am going to drop you off after 2 hours you will have a long walk back to your car, because there is no way I am breaking off to take you back."

Our meet point is also his first pickup, so I help until we are done with that pickup (usually 3 or 4 cartloads).

The driver said he mentioned something to his sup. The sup said he should not worry about it. He has been routinely keeping me for 2x+ what they send out on the diad.

to your point, one of my fellow preloaders had to drive 30 minutes each way to his meet point and they used him for 1 hour. He quit after 1 week.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The first couple days with my helper I would get the message that said "YOU CAN KEEP YOUR HELPER FOR x HOURS". I would read it out loud to my helper and then tell him, "I hope that's a minimum."