Driver hiring frenzy causing more work!

ups1990

With UPS putting more new drivers on the road, in our center, it's causing more work for those drivers in training route loops! These new drivers are going out very, very light, even into their second week. ORION is causing added stress to an already stressful job for these guys. We can assume that this trend will continue until UPS sees fit. One driver in our loop almost ran out of hours on Friday. We've been turning in our 8 hour request just to have a decent day.
My hope is for our new drivers to become very good at this job but be careful what you wish for. We're all dealing with a new animal here, turning more aggressive almost on a daily basis.

wkmac

At our location, a retired supervisor was subcontracted to come back and train new drivers. This sup the last several peak seasons has come back as subcontractor to help management during peak from October thru February. This year he came back in late June. He wasn't sure he wanted to do it so he laid down what he thought might be "deal breaker" demands and to his shock, UPS met every demand without batting an eye.

Even heard with my own ears a discussion of subcontracting retired drivers to help out during peak. It was a discussion, not actual fact, just surprised such option was having to even be considered. Seems to me not a bad idea but I also understand the larger ramifications and hurdles, so did they. Will be interesting to see where this goes if it even goes anywhere. Subcontracting a retired management person is one thing but a retired hourly seems a whole other realm.

They tried recruiting retired drivers here for peak. But, it was at only $27 hr plus your pension would stop while you were working.

Needless to say there were no takers.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
As a feeder diet induced heart attack.
images-108.jpeg

Griff

We cannot disappoint our overlords that are amazon and nordstrom this peak!

A few drivers in our center got so sick of hearing about amazon service failures this last peak that they taped an amazon emblem over the UPS shield on their shirts. Took a couple days but the building manager came down and told them they were out of uniform.

My days of caring enough to even think up something like that are well behind me. I work as directed and could careless about the rest of it. Let them run the company into the ground, since they seem hellbent on doing just that.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BrownTexas

Our center seems to be training new hires differently.

These drivers are running training routes with 100+ stops but with no pickups, when the same route normally has 30+ pickups.

I think they are just setting these guys up. Showing them an unrealistic part of the job.

I started with the whole route day one. Maybe not full resi's but all businesses and all pickups.

Our center seems to be training new hires differently.

These drivers are running training routes with 100+ stops but with no pickups, when the same route normally has 30+ pickups.

I think they are just setting these guys up. Showing them an unrealistic part of the job.

I started with the whole route day one. Maybe not full resi's but all businesses and all pickups.
Some of these new guys,are going to have a meltdown. when peak hits!