Driver Interview in Massachusetts

stra2d

jay2u
I'm scheduled to attend an interview for a drivers position, and wanted to know if I would actually be hired as a driver ? I've read a few posts that suggest that I need to work in another capacity for a few years and wanted to get the "low down" on the job.
Appreciate any info.

brownrod

It is possible they are hiring for a full time permanent driver position. But the odds of that are extremely low. Most likely they are hiring for a temporary seasonal driver position.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are interviewing for a driver position that is the position that you will be offered. As Brownrod said it is most likely a seasonal driver position. If you are hired use this as your opportunity to impress them in the hopes of landing a permanent position.

stra2d

jay2u
yep... they told me it was for a seasonal driver position that goes from October till Dec. Any advice or suggestions on this ?

UPSGUY72

As Upstate said work your butt off, However first you need to be safe you can't get into an accident else it's over and you can't get hurt. So although you need to work hard you need to be smart about it.

1. Show up at the building atleast 20 minutes before the PCM each day so you can see what your doing and ask other drivers if you have questions.
2. Get street map (atlas) of the Area
3. Spend a couple of minutes sorting your next 20-30 stops so your not looking for them when you get to the stop this will save you alot of time.
4. Don't get hurt or into a accident so don't drive like an idiot and running around like your head is cut off.

Just take your time and after a couple of days you'll start to get the hang of things and learn what you should do and not do. Your not going to be able to post the numbers a regular drive post for a week or two if that so just try to do a little better each day.