Driver Job Opening

Tomg101

I have an interview Friday for a full-time driving position. I have worked as a drivers helper in the winters but never as a package handler. My question is if it's full time or seasonal. The one I applied to did not indicate that it is seasonal at all, but the other two openings in the area were looking for seasonal. Any thoughts

barnyard

KTM rider
When you go to the interview on Friday, ask.

There is absolutely no way any of us can answer your question with any certainty. You would get a more accurate answer asking a magic 8 ball than you would here, with the information you have given.

By The Book

I have an interview Friday for a full-time driving position. I have worked as a drivers helper in the winters but never as a package handler. My question is if it's full time or seasonal. The one I applied to did not indicate that it is seasonal at all, but the other two openings in the area were looking for seasonal. Any thoughts
They may need an off the street hire to fulfill their ratio of inside to off the street hires. If that's the case, lucky you! If you impressed them as a helper that certainly helps. If you need a job now you could apply at the other locations as well.

Mike57

I know in the Chicago area, UPS is so desperate they have a sign on the fence at CACH looking for
TT drivers.
(They are looking for 40 sleeper teams to run btwn Chicago and MSP,as the railroad has issues and cann't make the service that UPS needs in that corridor
A couple of the centers have listed FT NOT seasonal on the job posting for package car drivers.

Tomg101

So I had the "interview" today which was basically a group interview with 20 off the street drivers.

He said that this position is usually given by seniority but that this hub had no one left looking for a driving position(which seemed crazy to me) and that it was a great time for off the street drivers

He then said if hired well all be permanent FT and will get seniority after 30 days.

He finished by saying that "worse case" a few will be sent to package handler.

We finished by signing up for a road test.

Is this just a friendly description of peak seasonal or is this really permanent?

Thanks for input

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Sounds permanent. HR has no reason to lie. Those that get the inside jobs will most likely fail the road test or their 30 days. Good luck.

ChicagosPrimeMinister

What rhmyes with UPS?
I know in the Chicago area, UPS is so desperate they have a sign on the fence at CACH looking for
TT drivers.
(They are looking for 40 sleeper teams to run btwn Chicago and MSP,as the railroad has issues and cann't make the service that UPS needs in that corridor
A couple of the centers have listed FT NOT seasonal on the job posting for package car drivers.

On Jeff st?? I want to become a driver there or bedford

The Driver

I drive.
Sounds permanent. HR has no reason to lie. Those that get the inside jobs will most likely fail the road test or their 30 days. Good luck.

They probably aren't lying about this, I agree. I was seasonal last year and got called back to go for my 30 days. The entire time I was worried that they were lying. They weren't.

SemperGumby

Most locations are advertising for driver positions (full time) but I'm more than certain that it is in fact seasonal or as UPS calls it RTD (route temporary driver) I did this last peak season, it's a great opportunity. Also if your looking for a full time position hang in there do a good job meet all deadlines don't ever deliver late air and show up early to work check your package car for proper load. If you do all these thing well chances are they will keep you, and always volunteer for driver helper when your route gets cut. In conclusion your location is probably in need of good hard working drivers that is why they are advertising publicly usually they hire RTD's internally so there is hope. Good Luck!

barnyard

KTM rider
This past week, I worked a feeder run and saw bids hung in hubs that did not have enough signatures for all the openings.