Driver - laid off, "Work as Directed" = Driver Rate in Hub?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Ya Dad, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Member

Before I went Feeders (and became DQ'd after "33" working days, see this thread), I was a PM Air Driver part-time. I did that for 4 years until my position was put up for a combo bid, and I was sent back to work inside. However, because I was a Bid Air Driver, they couldn't take my classification away from me.

Since I was told to work as directed, wouldn't that mean it's not a layoff, and instead of getting my hub rate, I would get my driver rate for working inside since that's my classification?

2. Just get over it

3. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

If you are laid off from driving, you might have an argument. But you would be better served asking a steward, or calling the union hall and asking for a business agent, than random information here.

4. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

99% of the time, your already-established base classification pay is what you should be making for any work you do anywhere, anytime if you're officially a PT or FT driver.

5. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

You get paid the job you work. Carry on.

6. BostonBo

BostonBo Active Member

When that happened to me I continued to make my air driver pay.

7. AndUPSER

AndUPSER Active Member

Wasn't you just an air exception driver, meaning you was never a permanent air driver? In that case, you will be paid your hub rate when you work in the hub.

8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Steal a package car and take the out the fuel pumps!

9. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Member

I was told by the hiring supervisor in HR when she looked up my classification that I was a "Bid Air Driver," and near "Current Pay Rate" on my checks was my air driver rate. When I was sent back to work inside, I would still get my air rate for option days, holidays and vacation/option weeks.

10. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

At least until you are reclassified as a Hub employee.

11. Ya Dad

Ya Dad Member

Which they can't do because, according to our union contract, I am supposed to be returned to my previous position after being disqualified.