Driver leaves in underwear

tieguy

Banned
Nope, never seen it done "on the spot". Every time it's happened around here there has been a meeting with the shop steward, usually first thing the following morning unless there happens to be a shop steward standing around at the time.
Typical scenario-
Sup: Do this
Employee: No
Sup: Are you refusing to work as instructed?
Employee: Yes
Sup: We'll talk about this tomorrow morning. Don't plan on working.

In that case the sup should be fired for failing to do his job. I'm not a big discipline nut but you can't run an operation if you let people decide what they will and won't do.

brownrodster

Might I also add that the drivers actually make a dollar or two more an hour than any other hub/center in california simply because the job sucks, but someone's gotta do it.

I'm related to the SF union BA... I'm pretty sure the SF guys also get full medical paid for after retirement...

tieguy

Banned
I don't agree with this. Are you saying that workers are fired just to "mess with them", so to speak? You say if it was known that they would leave permanently, we would fire our people a lot less. Do you believe that is the only way to get their attention? Seems like too much of a militant scare tactic and that more mutual respect would be a better answer. A father doesn't disown his son every time he makes a mistake; with the amount of time, energy, and money that is invested in a worker why don't we go about things in a different way instead of going off the deep end?

I didn't say I agreed with the tactic. I said its there and yes it does happen. If we knew that you would be 100% gone when we say the "you're fired" words then we would use them a lot less.

tourists24

ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT,
ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS

Preamble
The Employer and the Union agree that the safety of the employees and the general public is of utmost importance.....
.....Under no circumstances will an employee be required or assigned to engage in any activity involving dangerous conditions of work or danger to a person or property or in violation of a government regulation relating to safety of person or equipment. ......
It shall not be a violation of this Agreement, or cause for disciplinary action, where employees refuse to operate equipment or a vehicle when such operation constitutes a violation of any state or federal rules, regulations, standards or orders applicable to commercial motor vehicle safety or health, or because of the employee�s reasonable apprehension of serious injury to himself/herself or the public due to the unsafe conditions......

Bottom line; the sup instructed the driver to do something unsafe and illegal. Refusal to break the law or work unsafely is not insubordination.
The appropriate action for the driver to have taken...would have been to pull over at the first safe place, hand the keys to the sup, and let him decide where to park.
If the facts of this case are as stated, Sober's response here is all the needs to be seen.

tieguy

Banned
If the facts of this case are as stated, Sober's response here is all the needs to be seen.

the double park is not necessarily a safety issue. The company pays the ticket. Drivers playing games. He'll get his job back minus some days of pay for his efforts.

tourists24

the double park is not necessarily a safety issue. The company pays the ticket. Drivers playing games. He'll get his job back minus some days of pay for his efforts.
Realistically, I think you're right Tie about coming back after a little vacation.... it doesnt help if he actually went to his skibbies; just doesnt help the cause

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

So what happens if our driver double parks, and a bicycle tries to go around our parked package car and gets hit by an oncoming vehicle? I can gurantee you our driver will get "charged" with the accident, and if he is lucky enough not to get suspended or terminated he will at the very least spend 2 weeks having to show up early every morning to regurgitate acronyms and commentaries for the Safety Committee. No thanks, I'll park legally and walk the stop off.

Any where you park can be called a safety issue of the package car gets hit by another vehicle, even if the driver isn't in the car at the time.

old levi's

blank space
Last week, during a production ride, a San Francisco driver refused to double park for a delivery. After parking legally, the superviser fired him on the spot. Driver said, "ok, i don't work for you anymore", and gave the superviser his uniform and walked away in his underwear. I got this confirmed by a business agent. Funny stuff going on.

This post could have been much more interesting ....

Last week, during a production ride, a San Francisco driver refused to double park for a delivery. After parking legally, the superviser fired her on the spot. Driver said, "ok, i don't work for you anymore", and gave the superviser her uniform and walked away in her underwear. I got this confirmed by a business agent. Funny stuff going on.

I'm just saying .....

over9five

Staff member
This post could have been much more interesting ....

Could have been even MORE interesting:

Last week, during a production ride, a San Francisco driver refused to double park for a delivery. After parking legally, the superviser fired her on the spot. The Commando driver said, "ok, i don't work for you anymore", and gave the superviser her uniform and walked away. I got this confirmed by a business agent. Funny stuff going on.

I'm just saying .....

neartom

Interesting.

They can surely fire you for "failure to follow".

But I don't believe they can order you to do something illegal or unsafe, both of which may apply here.

Either way, I suspect he'll have his job back.

If in fact the supervisor instructed tthe driver to break the law and then fired driver on the spot for not breaking the law, and it is against company policy for a supervisor to instruct/fire. I would think the driver has good grounds for a personal lawsuit against supervisor/company.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
1804.jpg

alexfo7o

Last week, during a production ride, a San Francisco driver refused to double park for a delivery. After parking legally, the superviser fired him on the spot. Driver said, "ok, i don't work for you anymore", and gave the superviser his uniform and walked away in his underwear. I got this confirmed by a business agent. Funny stuff going on.

friend*er!!! that SUP should be fired!

tieguy

Banned
So what happens if our driver double parks, and a bicycle tries to go around our parked package car and gets hit by an oncoming vehicle? I can gurantee you our driver will get "charged" with the accident, and if he is lucky enough not to get suspended or terminated he will at the very least spend 2 weeks having to show up early every morning to regurgitate acronyms and commentaries for the Safety Committee. No thanks, I'll park legally and walk the stop off.

there are a lot of ifs with everything. Refusing to follow a supervisors direct instructions for some ifs won't fly. If the drivers personal safety was threatened then that would be a different issue.