Driver on light duty bumps into our shift as 2 part time spots Question

RealPerson

So,

We have a driver that has a medical condition that the doctors say or UPS says he can not drive for one year.

He first bumped into a 22.3 job, but didn't like car wash, so he is now bumping into my small shift as a part timer working 2 shifts.

When layoffs come, is he at the Bottom of the list, since he is taking the place of a part timer?

One of our stewards is saying YES. The BA has not been contacted yet.

Our sort is run a little different as it is by building seniority, and a Full Timer with less time than me gets laid off before me as a part timer. (just saying this to help with the answers)

I am NOT Blaming the Driver one bit, as it is a Medical Condition, just sucks as after the first of the year, we "Might" be losing more people to layoffs, and the guy below me can not miss a day on full time as he is currently tight on a budget. I told him he should be able to bum into another shift, but someone said no, he has to bump another 22.3 which he can't he is the lowest..

Anyway I know the answer is to call the BA, just trying to see if anyone here has experienced this.. I am in Central States...

My Hub shift is Very Small now, only 3,200 pieces with 6-9 people working depending on volume. I am laid off tonight as not enough volume 19 years at UPS... OUCH

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No offense, but I'll never understand how people with 14+ yrs of seniority is a pter. Atleast become a ft clerk, do a combo job if you dont want to go driving. With 19 yrs of seniority, how could you get laid off? Or it must be that people in your building just love being a pter?

And as to your question, a driver cannot bump any pter whom has more company seniority than him/her. Layoff is by company seniority.

gorilla75jdw

If you are bumped , you are allowed to bump . Happened to me once as a I am a combo employee , so I bumped 2 part time positions and was able to get more hours where I bumped into . Just try going into something that offers you more time .

opie

No offense, but I'll never understand how people with 14+ yrs of seniority is a pter. Atleast become a ft clerk, do a combo job if you dont want to go driving. With 19 yrs of seniority, how could you get laid off? Or it must be that people in your building just love being a pter? And as to your question, a driver cannot bump any pter whom has more company seniority than him/her. Layoff is by company seniority.
Sometimes 14 years of PT, isn't enough to get a FT job. Some parts of the country there is a long wait.

Overpaid Union Thug

No offense, but I'll never understand how people with 14+ yrs of seniority is a pter. Atleast become a ft clerk, do a combo job if you dont want to go driving. With 19 yrs of seniority, how could you get laid off? Or it must be that people in your building just love being a pter? And as to your question, a driver cannot bump any pter whom has more company seniority than him/her. Layoff is by company seniority.
Sometimes 14 years of PT, isn't enough to get a FT job. Some parts of the country there is a long wait.

There are plenty of reasons for someone to remain part-time 14+ years. Once of which is many people retire as part-timer.

No offense, but I'll never understand how people with 14+ yrs of seniority is a pter. Atleast become a ft clerk, do a combo job if you dont want to go driving. With 19 yrs of seniority, how could you get laid off? Or it must be that people in your building just love being a pter?

And as to your question, a driver cannot bump any pter whom has more company seniority than him/her. Layoff is by company seniority.
How about 36 years PT?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
How about 36 years PT?

Well, I understand pt car washers. Although your prior position had to be ft to become a car washer most of the time. A car washer gets ft wages. But being a part timer with 14+ yrs of seniority and still slingin boxes is just sad, no offense to anyone, although it could be just circumstances sometimes.

P

pickup

Well, I understand pt car washers. Although your prior position had to be ft to become a car washer most of the time. A car washer gets ft wages. But being a part timer with 14+ yrs of seniority and still slingin boxes is just sad, no offense to anyone, although it could be just circumstances sometimes.

Just worry about yourself and your choices in life , Junior.

No, never FT. At one time PTers washed and fueled and parked all the package cars. Yes do make the same wages as FT car washers but less than red circle PT sorters. Unskilled position. Lot of reasons to stay PT.

RealPerson

I am there for the Insurance and the workout Only. While I have to admit the wages I make now are like working a $10 hour job fulltime, and I have the ability to double shift with after the 5th hour overtime... Putting max in my 401K, additional insurance on my family, and other things. I usually donate my check to charity events lots of times... Ehhh Ill be ok..

My Day Job is my career, and what I love to do.. Photography!

My shift only now has like 9 people all 22.3's now and yes most could prob retire...

RealPerson

The driver is close to retirement, so he has a ton of time...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Somebody ain't even got a clue and apparently ain't even going to figure that out.

RealPerson

I believe the contract states he has to displace the least seniority PT.

And if there are NO PT on the shift???

Or there is a lower Seniority 22.3 on the shift, lower than the part timer?

Currently the FT person gets laid off before the PTer...... Like Last night. I was laid off, but only because that lower 22.3 was on Vacation, or it would of been him...

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I am there for the Insurance and the workout Only. While I have to admit the wages I make now are like working a $10 hour job fulltime, and I have the ability to double shift with after the 5th hour overtime... Putting max in my 401K, additional insurance on my family, and other things. I usually donate my check to charity events lots of times... Ehhh Ill be ok..

My Day Job is my career, and what I love to do.. Photography!

My shift only now has like 9 people all 22.3's now and yes most could prob retire...

Oh i see, good for you. Really, I mean it.