Driver or Mechanic?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I never even get the option of making input on the situation. My center team is trigger happy. Other times when they should, they don't. Lots of salient facts get left out.

rod

Retired 22 years
Everything in my old center was blamed on the car washer. He didn't care--he was Mexican and being one of our two token minorities up in the Great White North he was given a free ride on everything. His name was Jose---we all called him Hose B. We also had a young Indian lad (named 2-Dogs) who didn't care about anything. He laughed at everything and took the blame for stuff that never even happened.

PT Car Washer

We get pressured all the time to keep stuff on the road during peak if it seems to still be functioning safely. A lot of the time stuff will not present itself until it totally fails and I can't fix what I can't see.
I have seen more then once a 24 hour engine swap during peak to keep a PC on the road.

UPSGUY72

Saw a package car being towed into one of the Hubs.
I can imagine the finger pointing going on, the Driver stating they advised the Mechanics of an issue, and the Mechanics stating they knew nothing of an issue that might cause it to break down.
So, who gets the blame for it breaking down on road and having to be towed in?

Nobody gets blamed. Things break and they don't always break at the building and there isn't always advance notice something is going to break.

Also the driver fills out the DVIR so the mechanics know what the problems are. Then the mechanics either fix the problem, red tag the vehicle or keep Vehicle on the road and schedule service and order parts.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
It is truly amazing what the wrenches can do when their hands are untied.
If they are willing to let us and pay the overtime. Lots of engine swaps are getting farmed out to OSS and doing sub-par work. I always have to look them over when they return them. A full VT swap takes me 3 full days.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we had a mechanic that got fired because he refused a direct order NOT to tag a tractor. not sure of the details but he's still out.

also, drivers write up safety issues on a tractor and then the dvir book disapears.

after that happened to me i started making photo copies of my copy.

cya.

PT Car Washer

If they are willing to let us and pay the overtime. Lots of engine swaps are getting farmed out to OSS and doing sub-par work. I always have to look them over when they return them. A full VT swap takes me 3 full days.
Would these out side services be dealer like IH or Mack or just anybody with a shop?