Driver or Mechanic?

You would think so, but UPS wants a special discount on the hourly rate. They get the cheaper labor rate which includes a crappy finished job. You get what you pay for. You cant expect a bodyshop or mechanic shop to give you 100% if your paying 40 and hour.
$40/hr shop rate? For a heavy truck repair shop? Unbelievable. Mexicans in my town charge more then that to fix a flat tire.

rod

Retired 22 years
You would think so, but UPS wants a special discount on the hourly rate. They get the cheaper labor rate which includes a crappy finished job. You get what you pay for. You cant expect a bodyshop or mechanic shop to give you 100% if your paying 40 and hour.

Reminds me of some of the paint jobs our trucks got from the low bidder. Runs in the paint-- painted over the top of old decals--overspray galore-I don't think they even taped over the windows . UPS didn't care ---they looked good from a distance.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I currently have a VT out being replaced under warranty. It ran good for 2 months until the cooling system filled up with fuel. Another was repaired after 6 months when it lost all oil pressure. The VT engine goes from being a piece of crap to a rebuilt piece of crap.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Reminds me of some of the paint jobs our trucks got from the low bidder. Runs in the paint-- painted over the top of old decals--overspray galore-I don't think they even taped over the windows . UPS didn't care ---they looked good from a distance.
Things aren't getting painted at all unless it's been in a significant accident.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Is your local management squad asking you to call in advance when running into or through an OT situation? They are here. It's the same old thing. No matter how good we do, we will never make money. So they are always looking to minimize our labor like it has no lasting effect.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I've seen many shops turn UPS down.

UPS usually tells the shop what they are going to pay. Some shops give UPS what they pay for. Some shops refuse the work for the amount quoted by UPS.

I have seen a shop put a set of springs on a tractor. When UPS got the bill they sent the tractor back to them and told them to take the springs off because they were too expensive and told them to put the UPS springs on them that they were now given.

Never heard what the outcome of the charges were.

8andout

Have you guys tried ending the farming out? Center in our area a mechanic threatened a grievance that UPS would pay him for every hour spent on that car if sent out. He stuck to this and now had another mechanic hired on. My center only thing that goes to the dealer is warranty work. All is done in house-sometimes send a car to another center to help catch up.

I send nothing out, package or feeder.
It's Teamster work, it's my work, they can pay me.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
The boss can hear his boss complain about OT, or have 1/2 a dozen center bosses waking him up at 3 AM complaining there aren't enough package cars to load.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I currently have a VT out being replaced under warranty. It ran good for 2 months until the cooling system filled up with fuel. Another was repaired after 6 months when it lost all oil pressure. The VT engine goes from being a piece of crap to a rebuilt piece of crap.

I know corporate changed the coolant standard, now we have 3 in our shop and 1 that I know of in another center with diesel in the coolant. Seems peculiar (3 T444e's and 1 VT). Haven't seen this issue in 13 years.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The reman VT IHC supplies is no good either. They joke "If it's black, it goes back." I'm told they are rebuilt my Caterpillar. Sabotage?

Gear

Parts on Order
I send nothing out, package or feeder.
It's Teamster work, it's my work, they can pay me.

You have the right attitude, send nothing out. Unfortunately some mechanics let their work pile up and become "to busy" and "have" to send work out. Or just have the attitude, "send it out", that way they have more time to repair auto lube fittings and lube doors. I wish they would send those guys out with their toolboxes. They're just ruining it for others and future mechanics.